Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:36:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Open Range (2003)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Open Range (2003)  (Read 21528 times)
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 03:54:15 PM »

I don't think there is a thread about this film. I've reanted Open Range from the public library, along with The Proposition. I immediatly liked the film, and I think it's the best western since Unforgiven. Robert Duvall and Kevin Cosner had such great chemestry together, and the climatic gunbattle was exciting. Michael Gambon makes a superb villian.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 03:59:44 PM »

The only thing I liked about Open Range was the final shootout.

The rest of the film plays out like some kind of western soap opera.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »

The final shootout made the whole film worth watching.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2007, 01:34:14 AM »

"Real people" circa 2003, right?
I'm not 100% sure what you mean here, but I meant that I feel Costner and Duvall are very realistic portrays of the real cowboys.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2007, 08:48:54 PM »

If you are talking about cowboys in the 19th Century, then I don't agree. Of course, I've never met a 19th Century cowboy, but then neither has Duvall or Costner, or the scriptwriters for Open Range. Somehow I don't think this held them back.....

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2007, 03:31:52 AM »

Neither have I ever met a real cowboy  Grin! But IMO there are many things the feel very real: They are very quiet, they love the open ranges, how they treat the boys. Maybe the only thing that doesn't feel realistic is the revenge and how they react to the situation before and during the gunfight. To me they look too happy or excited about the fight. It's almost like in old AWs where everyone is happily fighting in the saloon, although not as stupid or over the top. I really have to watch it again some time, but I think they make the decision to revenge too quick, taking into account how they are earlier in  the movie. MWNN or William Munny could make the decision that fast but not these cowboys.

Or maybe I'm imagining something that really isn't in the movie   Cheesy. Maybe I should watch it again.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2007, 11:20:52 AM »

Kevin Cosner's character use to be a ruthless killer, I don't know about Duvall's character, but he must have been a mean mofo back in his younger days. They probably became cowboys to keep a low profile.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2007, 11:33:41 AM »

Kevin Cosner's character use to be a ruthless killer, I don't know about Duvall's character, but he must have been a mean mofo back in his younger days. They probably became cowboys to keep a low profile.
Yeah, that's pretty obvious with Costner's. But I think Duvall's character has always been cowboy. Obviously he has shot people too, but not as largely as Costner.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2007, 11:40:24 AM »

Yeah, seeing how Cosner explained what might happen before the shoot out. I loved how he went for the man with the broken arm first, which was broken by the guy he killed (and I liked his character, was sad to see him go) and shot the boy and his last words where "I really enjoyed it", and he gets shot point blank in the head. I laughed at that part.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2007, 11:55:22 AM »

Yeah, seeing how Cosner explained what might happen before the shoot out. I loved how he went for the man with the broken arm first, which was broken by the guy he killed (and I liked his character, was sad to see him go) and shot the boy and his last words where "I really enjoyed it", and he gets shot point blank in the head. I laughed at that part.

That part is both shocking and memorable. A classic movie moment in my opinion.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2007, 01:07:37 AM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lq3zjTmVLbM

I sure love YouTube.

I love how they were standing there taunting each other, and then Kevin Cosner goes up to the guy and asked "You're the one who shot my friend"

"Yes, I shoot the boy too, and I quite enjoy it" and Kevin walks up to him and puts one in between the eyes. Best part of the movie.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:10:42 AM by KevinJCBJK » Logged
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2007, 09:51:54 AM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lq3zjTmVLbM

I sure love YouTube.

I love how they were standing there taunting each other, and then Kevin Cosner goes up to the guy and asked "You're the one who shot my friend"

"Yes, I shoot the boy too, and I quite enjoy it" and Kevin walks up to him and puts one in between the eyes. Best part of the movie.

That's one of the best moments in Western Film History, by far. Brilliant.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 09:57:31 AM »

That's one of the best moments in Western Film History, by far. Brilliant.

Yeah the genere is somewhat dying but still going strong.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »

I bought it. I watched it. I loved it.

I have to agree with most of what has been said here. It's slow. But it somehow seems "real", there are several things, like the flood, that add to a feel of authenticity (although it's just a virtual autheticity). The scenes with chocolate and the man shot straight by Charlie Waite are superb. Costner and Duvall really had good chemistry.
And it must have been awesome on big screen.

It's not Leone for sure, but I didn't expect it to be. That's the biggest mistake one could make before watching a non-Leone western, in my opinion. It only makes you not enjoy something you might have enjoyed immensely otherwise. And I enjoyed this. Comparing back, I enjoyed it much more than the 2007 3:10 to Yuma, even though I saw 3:10 in cinema and this only on computer. I'm glad I own it.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 03:13:55 AM »

Update: Sister loves it, too. Cheesy

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM