Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 08:52:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Open Range (2003)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Open Range (2003)  (Read 20981 times)
ManWithNoName
Road Apple

BaD MoThErFuCkA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 11:08:56 PM »

i enjoyed Open Range but not as much as the Leone Flicks.

My Mule Dont Like When People Laugh, He gets a funny idea you're laughing at him.
DJASh
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 01:03:19 PM »

A couple of Leone links I spotted in this Costner Western...

James Russo (Bugsy in OUATIA) plays a nasty bad guy , naturally.
Plus the director makes use of the enjoyment of food for dramatic effect tactic, as often used by Leone.  This time its chocolate imported to the Mid west , all the way from Switzerland.

hailclinteastwood
Chicken Thief

fastest draw in scotland

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 02:24:40 PM »

I didn't really like it to tell you the truth, the characters were not explained enough

DJASh
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2004, 04:02:31 PM »

There was a certain harsh realism to the gunfight which I thought was well done.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2004, 05:38:24 PM »

yea it was sort of reminicent of Unforgiven a big pay off at the end

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 06:29:17 PM »

first i want to extend my thanks to c/j for getting me out to see this film while on the " big screen".  

i loved the way the chocolet sequence went. also the camera work was so quick and pricise during the final shootout made the slower scenes juxtapose.

btw, had no idea duvall was such a gifted
fiddle player.  Shocked  lol

« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 10:04:29 PM by KERMIT » Logged
hailclinteastwood
Chicken Thief

fastest draw in scotland

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2004, 05:18:18 AM »

to tell you the truth i didn't really like this film, it wasn't what i thought it was going to be and that kind put me off. the chocolate scene was quite good but the "love interest" scenes spoiled the agression that it should have had these men were trown out of their buisnesses by an evil man, i belive that the films pace and story should have simbolised their hatred and agression

Tim
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 11:17:23 AM »

I saw this when it was first out in theatres, but hadn't seen it again since I watched it last night on AMC.  First of all, you know a movie is beautiful to watch if you can appreciate the cinematography in dreaded pan-n-scan and with commercials every seven minutes.

But on to my other point.  Kevin Costner is a real bad-ass in this movie.  His Charlie Waite is one of the coolest, toughest hombres I've seen in a western in quite awhile.  The way he walks toward the hired gun "Are you the one that killed my friend?" and then just blows him away, or shooting the man who has taken Annette Benning hostage. 

That gunfight is one to behold.  If only there could have been a little more action, this movie would have been perfect.  The dialogue between Costner and cowboy great Robert Duvall is excellent, but a gunfight or two would have broken up that first 90-100 minutes.  A good movie regardless.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 10:30:50 AM »

I like this film, my respect for Costner went up a bit when you find out how ill he was during the making of the film and turning up almost everyday!

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 10:38:17 AM »

The gunfight at the end is  the best I have seen. It goes on a little too long though.

I dont think it was a slow movie. It was all building up to that one gunfight. I thought the film was brilliant.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2006, 12:26:03 PM »

I'm one of the few who disliked Open Range. I thought the scenes before the gunfight were long and boring. I like slow-paced movies but not if they drag out the scenes just to make the movie longer, which is what Open Range did. And the gunfight at the end was so fake. It was a cool battle but Costner had to fire a good 30 shots out of his six-shooter without reloading.

I'll try to watch the film again but I still thought it was too drawn-out.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 06:58:13 AM »

7/10
A good Western. It doesn't provide anything new, but it recycles all basic elements very well. It is an American style Western, and that may be a trouble to some one; I thought it might be to me, but when I watched the film, it didn't bother me that much. Main characters are not bigger than life like in Leone's films, but more like real people. The pace is nice. It could've been faster but it's fine like this.

One thing that I have to mention is the violence. It is maybe the most realistic that I've seen in any Western. Buildups are not drawn out like in Leone's and Peckinpah's films, nor the victims spin like hell, nor fall down in slow-motion. Of course there is build up before the end fight but it's in real time. In this movie, if you get hit with a rifle it can cause you a brain damage, unlike in most of movies. The gun fight is great and very realistic.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 01:22:20 AM by moviesceleton » Logged

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 11:33:17 AM »

The gunfight at the end is  the best I have seen. It goes on a little too long though.

I dont think it was a slow movie. It was all building up to that one gunfight. I thought the film was brilliant.

I totally agree with you Firecracker!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 08:12:43 AM »

7/10
Main characters are not bigger than life like in Leone's films, but more like real people.
"Real people" circa 2003, right?

This is a better film than I expected, and a couple things impressed me: the way the streets turned into rivers during a downpour (a routine happening before storm drains came to the West) and the final shootout. On the downside, most of the film is filled with characters talking. What is it about AWs that they are always so dialog heavy? When you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk...

Finally, for a film called "Open Range" an awful lot of it is set in town.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 02:25:06 AM »

I was totally surprised.  I kind of like Costner, but not his films, mosrly pretentious or bad or both..
OPEN RANGE is just great. Best western I saw in decades. I even liked it better than UNFORGIVEN, seemed more honest and 'real' to me.
Great documentary on the US R1 DVD. Boy, did he suffer...true film maker he is..

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM