Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:13:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  MY HORROR COLLECTION
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MY HORROR COLLECTION  (Read 28835 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2007, 04:51:21 PM »

"Shaun of the dead" was brilliant.

Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are at it again in a new movie lampooning cop/thriller films.

"Hot Fuzz"

wanna check this out. Timothy Dalton plays a villain!

I know so many people liked it, I just found it lacking in the sort of humour that I enjoy (strange really as it's a hommage to the Dead trilogy, films I readily welcome to my bosum) (I got to see Hot Fuzz (legally) way before it came out in the cinema  Wink )

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 04:53:02 PM by Leone Admirer » Logged

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2007, 09:28:40 AM »

ZOMBIE aka ZOMBIE 2(single and 2 disc editions) 1979-Unauthorized sequel to Romero’s DAWN OF THE DEAD which was called ZOMBIE in Italy. British actor Ian McCulloch teams up with Tisa Farrow (Mia’s sister) to find her father, a doctor, who’s boat was found only he wasn’t on it. They journey to a voodoo cursed island where a doctor (Richard Johnson) is conducting experiments to explain why the dead are returning to life and eating the living. Some truly scary bits and some spectacular gore including the famous splinter-in-the-eye scene guaranteed to make you cringe. Also the zombie vs. shark scene is considered by QT to be the most outrageous sequence ever filmed. Effects artist Giannetto de Rossi became a overnight sensation with his bloody effects work. Influential and highly recommended Italian horror.

Excellent horror picture! I was afraid this would be a "been there, done that" sort of romp but it had a lot of surprises to keep you interested throughout. The zombie swimming underwater (as AC already pointed out) being one of them.

I'm curious to know if that was shot in a tank or out in the ocean? Considering the coral, it looks like it was shot on location.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2007, 10:36:46 AM »

Not overly keen on Zombie 2 but the ending shot of zombies marching towards New York is very effective and it asking to be bettered in a Zombie masterpiece (maybe in the upcoming World War Z?)

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2007, 11:08:41 AM »

Fulci's ZOMBIE was an even bigger box office hit than Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD. Yes, the underwater scene was location work. I believe it was shot in the Galapagos Islands although I'll have to go back and check. I've got numerous reference books on the Italian horror genre.

Banjo, I passed over the CASTLE OF THE LIVING DEAD years ago when it was on a budget tape. I think it is now out on a legit dvd for around $10.00. The VAMPIRE LOVERS on the MGM VHS and double feature Midnite Movies collection restores the opening and ending decapitations and stakings. Particularly the blood running down the sword before the credits. There may be a couple more bits here and there but the opening and ending are the most obvious. Cushing really seems to enjoy going to town on Miss Pitt at the end. There's a great shot of him hoisting her cut off head into the air.

You're in for a treat if you haven't seen VAMPIRE CIRCUS! Lots of action. The opening 12 minute prologue is a movie unto itself!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2007, 01:53:54 AM »

Banjo, I passed over the CASTLE OF THE LIVING DEAD years ago when it was on a budget tape. I think it is now out on a legit dvd for around $10.00. The VAMPIRE LOVERS on the MGM VHS and double feature Midnite Movies collection restores the opening and ending decapitations and stakings. Particularly the blood running down the sword before the credits. There may be a couple more bits here and there but the opening and ending are the most obvious. Cushing really seems to enjoy going to town on Miss Pitt at the end. There's a great shot of him hoisting her cut off head into the air.

You're in for a treat if you haven't seen VAMPIRE CIRCUS! Lots of action. The opening 12 minute prologue is a movie unto itself!
Yes i found that dvd on UK Amazon together with 3 or 4 other Italian/German horor dvd's starring Christopher Lee so at some point i may investigate.

I've got Vampire Circus on video tape which is due shortly for another viewing.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2007, 09:36:36 AM »

DUEL 1971-Spielberg’s first about a man (Dennis Weaver) driving cross country assaulted by a madman in a tanker truck. Suspense builds perfectly throughout. TV movie released theatrically overseas.

Spielberg's best work in my opinion!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2007, 09:38:49 AM »

Viewed "House" over the weekend.

It has it's creepy scenes (mostly some midgets running around in monster costumes) but it's mostly played for laughs.

I can see why this was a big hit in the 80's. It's an "R" film that you can actually take your family to see (if that makes sense), just cover your kid's eyes during the more violent scenes.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2007, 02:20:13 PM »

The R2 Carlton DVD of VAMPIRE CIRCUS is uncut. I hope your tape is as well. With all the production problems suffered, I wouldn't mind a remake of this one even thought the original is one of my faves.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2007, 03:58:53 PM »

The R2 Carlton DVD of VAMPIRE CIRCUS is uncut. I hope your tape is as well. With all the production problems suffered, I wouldn't mind a remake of this one even thought the original is one of my faves.
OK maybe i can compare the running times to see if my video is the full version.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2007, 03:25:15 PM »

HOWLING, THE 1980-Dee Wallace stars with her then husband as a TV reporter attacked by a maniac who goes to a country retreat to recuperate. Only this is no ordinary retreat. The greatest werewolf movie of all time features many genre cameos and clips from the original WOLF MAN. The great Joe Dante directs. Excellent score by Pino Dinaggio.

Liked this. Elisabeth Brooks is nude!

I liked the idea of the scrawny wimpy guy coming to the rescue and the ending is very powerful, only to be brought down a bit by the Dee Wallace werewolf which resembles a cuddly teddy bear.

Didn't care for the cheesy closing with Brooks alive and intact at the bar.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:38:32 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2007, 03:32:22 PM »

I liked the idea of the scrawny wimpy guy coming to the rescue and the ending is powerful only to be brought down a bit by the Dee Wallace werewolf which resembles a cuddly teddy bear.

I always thought she looked like Chewbacca's wife  Cheesy

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2007, 03:39:55 PM »

I always thought she looked like Chewbacca's wife  Cheesy

Grin

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2007, 03:42:16 PM »

Is the sequel any good?

That one has Christopher Lee in it right?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2007, 11:46:48 AM »

Is the sequel any good?

That one has Christopher Lee in it right?

NO!!! Stay away from that one. One of the worst ever made. If you do decide to see it, fast forward to the end credits where you'll see Sybil Danning rip her clothes off some 20 times.
Chris Lee hated this one.

I liked the capper on THE HOWLING where the guy asks her how she wants her burger. She looks into the camera with a hellish grin and says...."rare". It was great. It was just to show that at least one did survive.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2007, 10:23:49 AM »

PIECES 1981-Another gruesome grindhouse favorite which got wide release in the early 80s. A young boy kills his mother over a nude puzzle. He grows up to murder young girls using pieces of their bodies for a human puzzle that figures into one of the craziest, most jaw droppingly insane endings ever. Edmund Purdom, Christopher George and his beautiful wife star along with Paul Smith, the lumbering Bud Spencer look-alike from DUNE and numerous other movies. Even Bruce Lee Clone Bruce Le puts in an appearance in a WTF? moment. Trash in the extreme. I remember the commercial tagline-”You don’t have to go to Texas for a Chainsaw Massacre!”

an entertaining slasher flick that doesn't deliver anything new to the table.

A killer slices and dices young attractive woman while their nude (or scantily clad) with a chainsaw.
You'll figure out whose the culprit behind the killings long before the movie reveals it to you.

The one glimmer of originality in this movie is the WTF ending that seems to come totally out of left field.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM