Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 06:21:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bury Them Deep(All'Ultimo Sangue)(1968)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bury Them Deep(All'Ultimo Sangue)(1968)  (Read 6753 times)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2007, 07:00:11 AM »

Hello all!  Its been a while!

Well, I had a long ol train journey this morning, so I set up the portable DVD and started watching Bury them Deep, with Craig Hill.  I plan to watch the second half on the way home, but certainly so far it seems a really enjoyable flick!  Travelling to work is definately far more appealling with a Spaghetti Western holding your hand on the way there!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 04:40:37 PM by Banjo » Logged

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »

I enjoyed Bury Them Deep too Marco but i'll give it another look in anticipation of your upcoming review Wink

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 02:48:52 AM »

I'll have to give this another look as I didn't care for it much.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 04:39:18 PM »

Finally got around to watching this again today and as Marco said its a real fun sw.

Craig Hill plays a bounty hunter who is hired to by the army to retrieve stolen gold from Billy Gunn(Ken Wood) and he rescues Gunns brother Chaleco from the noose to help him out.While tracking Gunn the two partners encounter a Mexican gang headed by the vicious Kordero and the movie soon develops into a series of  protagonists switching sides and theres plenty of great action throughout.I think some of this may have been filmed in Italy as i seemm to  recognise watery scenery from Parolini's Sartana.Special note also to the excellent score provided by Nico Fidenco.

My rating 7.5 out of 10 Afro

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 04:41:41 PM by Banjo » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:40:40 PM »

Review for
BURY THEM DEEP

Captain Clive Norton (Craig Hill) is appointed, by his superior officer, to track down and retrieve gold that was stolen from an army convoy by the bandit Billy 'The Gun' (Giovanni Cianfriglia alias Ken Wood). Norton requests the partnership of tracker Chaleco Hunter (Etorre Manni) to aid him in his mission but is denied due to Hunter being court marshalled and sentenced to hang for war crimes. Not too surprisingly, Norton goes against his superior's wishes and rescues Chaleco during his execution ceremony and the two set out to seek out Billy 'The Gun' and get back the stolen gold.
This spaghetti outing is entertaining but it tends to frustrate all too often. There are far too many scenes of characters (mostly the two protagonists) riding around on horseback for several minutes at a time. No dialogue exchanges are present during these segments and to add insult to injury we're subjected to irritating marching music as the characters take their time to ride off frame.
Another thing that bothers me is after saving Chaleco, Norton doesn't reveal who he wants tracked down. He deliberately withholds the information for no apparent reason at all, allowing a long and pointless segment of an uninterested Chaleco trying to escape from the Captain's rifle range. Eventually Norton does reveal that they are after Billy 'The Gun', a man Chaleco has some personal beef with. One wonders why Cap'n Norton didn't just tell Chaleco who they were after in the first place? It would have saved him the hassle of Chaleco trying to ditch him.
In its defense, every one thing it does wrong it does two things right.
There is a good amount of action in the film. Plenty of shootouts and poorly choreographed fist fights (ya know? The usual stuff). There is even an extensive knife fight which is, shamefully, a rare occurence in these movies.
Craig Hill does his usual posturing, Manni plays the standard "less than trustworthy side-kick" and Cianfriglia plays a pretty formidable bad guy but it's the stuntmen that really steal the show here. Those guys were great! In one scene their diving off balconies and crashing through roofs in another scene their falling off ledges and hitting the ground hard.
The music is pleasent but there isn't one tune you'll remember after ejecting the movie from your player.
Fanboys with sharp eyes will recognize Spaghetti regulars Jose Torres and Lorenzo Robledo in crowd scenes.
They each have split second screen time. Very unusual.
6/10

Note Italian db states that it has an 88 minute running time.
http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/allultimo.htm

My copy runs a total of 93 minutes.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:09:50 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:57:30 PM »

At ANICA is 2702 metres (which means about 99' in theatre.  ) :

http://www.anica.it/arc/1968/68ag2267.thtml

But at IMDB they make it to be 109'.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0062652/

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »

At ANICA is 2702 metres (which means about 99' in theatre.  ) :

http://www.anica.it/arc/1968/68ag2267.thtml

But at IMDB they make it to be 109'.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0062652/

I'll put my money on ANICA being correct.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 09:57:47 PM »

One wonders why Cap'n Norton didn't just tell Chaleco who they were after in the first place? It would have saved him the hassle of Chaleco trying to ditch him

But it wouldn't have tested him. Now that Manni has the chance to run and doesn't, Hill knows he can trust him. 

At the beginning I was ready for a great movie, but about half things start to be quite infantile. The scene of the "torture" of the couple is ludicrous and its resolution even more. Not even good for a comedy. (the torture of the mexican couple is more ffective, though). Much of the confusion is added by Fidenco's score: but I think that he wasn't told or wasn't ewxplained what kind of mood some scenes should be orchestrated to. I give it a 5\10: good first half-bad second.
Manni, I can't stand him: he is wooden as can be and not even as big as Spencer or Eastman to justify his presence. Hill, well, I think he comes third after Eastwood and Van Cleef as best spaghetti westerner born in USA. Cianfriglia: I think he could have been, facially, the ideal Blackberry. 

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »

Though running time is hard to read on my copy (from a TV recording) I guess it's same as ANICA; as it should be about 95'.
This movie was very often on local TV's here last year.

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »

Bury them deep just for jolly.

Bury Them Deep is directed by Paolo Moffa and written by Enzo Dell'Aquila. It stars Craig Hill, Ettore Manni, Giovanni Cianfriglia (as Ken Wood) and Jos Greci. Music is by Nino Fidenco and cinematography by Franco Villa.

Essentially it's a buddy buddy spagwest, with the plot seeing Hill and Manni as an unlikely pair brought together in the search for stolen gold. The booty, robbed from the army, has been hidden by renowned tough guy Billy The Gun (Cianfriglia). It's very much a collage of other genre movies, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun and exciting, because it is - that is on proviso you are not a hard core spagwest fan hoping for something to reach your best of lists!

First half of pic is more sedate than the second, as the makers build the jittery relationship between the two protags. Aided by Fidenco's schizophrenic - irritatingly catchy - musical score (woodwind and percussion on acid sometimes), tone always suggests a tongue in cheek approach. Not to say there isn't violence, since there is lots of it, shoot-outs, an extended knife fight and general raucous bad behaviour fill out the story, all completed with spagwest traditions such as exaggerated dives and punches.

There's some nifty scenes and inventive camera shots, where we like see-saw hangings, great escape from being trussed up, and up-tilt shots of horses leaping. The stunt work is good dollar, with plenty of deaths from heights (cliffs and windows of course), this certainly doesn't lack for human efforts. The villains, in among shifting allegiances and mistrust, are a roll call of laughing hyena Mexicans, or in Cianfriglia's case (looking suspiciously like Burt Reynolds here!), very cool and measured. All in all it's not top line spaghetti, but filling enough for those after a fun genre time waster. 6.5/10

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM