Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:16:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  KUNG FU-SAMURAI-HK ACTION-ASIAN HORROR COLLECTION
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KUNG FU-SAMURAI-HK ACTION-ASIAN HORROR COLLECTION  (Read 27442 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2007, 04:08:58 PM »

The pics start on page three.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »

After learning a prisoner has escaped carrying an item he is after, the sinister Kuan Feng and his gang take chase...

The hero is joined by a helper. There is a reason why he follows...

A funny scene inside a brothel when the good guy can't pay for services rendered...

The thugs give chase to the two heroes...

A shot from the finale. Undoubtedly one of the greatest choreographed achievements ever...

MONKEY KUNG FU- 1980

A young man is imprisoned for killing another. He meets up with an old one-eyed man in jail who gives him half of a medal before being executed. He is then chained to another prisoner. The two eventually escape and free themselves. The other prisoner however, continues to follow the young man with the medal. Also, a gang of evildoers are after the medal. Turns out bringing the two halves together will reveal the location of a kung fu manual. The prisoner that follows reveals late in the film he has the other half. The finale features one of the most exciting fight sequences ever caught on film. Star Ching Su Tung would go on to choreograph action scenes in some of HKs best as well as American action films.

Man with no dame
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2007, 05:10:18 PM »

Very nice shots AC! Afro I'm not big into kung fu, but I wouldn't mind giving some of these a gander. Good work!

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2007, 02:13:52 PM »

I FINALLY LEARNED HOW TO DO SCREEN CAPTURE FROM A DVD!!

They're not perfect caps, but...

Anyway, here's some caps from the recently released Chang Cheh violent comic book actioner MASKED AVENGERS...

During the opening, one of the good guys is discovered by the bloodthirsty gang of trident weilding killers...

He fights valiantly, but the gang prove too much in numbers...

Chiang Sheng battling the gang in the superb finale...

One of the heroes falls victim to one of the many traps within the villains lair...

The main chief in the gang descends for the final confrontation...

After tossing a handful of tridents into the air, the chief falls prey to his own last desperate chance to kill the last two heroes...

MASKED AVENGERS 1981- One of the best of the Venoms films with stunning choreography and lots of bloody comic book style violence. A vicious gang of murderers who all wear devil like masks, kill with tridents, and drink the blood of the people they are paid to kill are hunted by a band of kung fu lawmen. A mysterious cook is brought along with the heroes and he is suspected to be one of the three chiefs in the blood drinking gang. Chiang Sheng plays against type here in a rare serious role as the leader of the justice seekers. The finale set in a booby trapped Buddhist temple is one of the most astounding pieces of choreographed action ever seen. Very popular among fans although a box office failure in HK.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 02:14:57 PM by Arizona Colt » Logged

Man with no dame
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2007, 03:23:02 PM »

They're not light on the bloodshed, are they?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2007, 05:23:56 AM »

No. That was what Chang Cheh changed back in 1967. He added an unparalleled vision of violence that had never been seen before in action dramas. These films between 1967 thru 1976 featured male dominated macho bravado and adrenaline rushing scenes of brutality. His later films such as this one, were more comic book in style and focused more on the intricatley choreographed fight scenes mixed with continuously creative scenes of outrageous violence. Chang was in his early 60s when he shot this movie.

Man with no dame
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2007, 05:53:15 AM »

So you'rer getting the bugs worked out on grabbing stills, I see. What are some good starter flix in this genre for a novice?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2007, 12:34:45 PM »

I'll take care you. Don't worry about it. Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »

I'll take care you. Don't worry about it. Afro

AC. MWND seems to live not far from me at all.

I have a few of these titles you sent me that are perfect for a novice.
I can let him borrow CRIPPLED AVENGERS, SECRET SERVICE OF THE IMPERIAL COURT and THE SWORDMAN AND THE ENCHANTRESS

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2007, 01:06:44 PM »

KILLER CONSTABLE- 1979 aka KARATE EXTERMINATORS

Chen Kuan Tai, Ku Feng, Pai Piao, Chiang Tao, Yuen Wah

2 million taels in gold has been stolen from a vault within the Forbidden City. The Empress wants the money returned within 10 days. Chief Constable Liang Tien Ying is hired to bring back the gold robbers, dead or alive; only Liang never brings anyone back alive. He assembles a team of officers to find the stolen gold. Over the course of the film a major conspiracy is uncovered.

This is a very famous Shaw Brothers movie from the late 70s. It wasn't a massive hit in HK, but was in other territories. During the time of this films release, audiences were interested in kung fu comedies and not deadly serious and downbeat martial dramas. However, numerous rip-offs and similarly plotted films followed; mostly independents. In the US, it was a major cult film among fans. It is often considered to be Chen Kuan Tai's best role. Chen, who became a major star literally over night after starring in Chang Cheh's seminal 1972 picture, THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG. A film that had John Woo as an AD.

During the opening, Chief Liang pursues an escaping criminal whose gang was holding a family hostage...

Constable Liang is summoned for his orders in dealing with the gold robbers...

Liang's brother informs him he will not join him on this mission. He is tired of his ruthless tactics and merciless ways...

Here, Chen plays the brutally cold hearted, but whole heartedly righteous royal constable Liang. His brother also is a constable. He detests his methods of always killing and never showing mercy to criminals. He tells him in a strong scene that he "...stinks of blood". In this scene Chen showcases in very minute facial movements that he does indeed have feelings but he believes if one shows kindness to these cruel and vicious criminals, it would be their undoing. He is told on several occassions that he has no heart, but in reality he has feelings but cannot afford to let them show. In several scenes in Chen's performance, it is apparent that he really doesn't want to kill men wantonly but he knows he must lest he be killed.

During the time period the film is set, shortly after the Ming reprisals to dethrone the invading Manchu hordes had failed, the common people caught amidst all the turmoil and war were left homeless and starving. Many of these folk resorted to crime to survive. This point is mentioned by one of Liang's men who cannot understand Liang's methods and feels pity for those less fortunate. Only when the officers take shelter in a destroyed peasant village does he realize what kindness will get you.

One of many beautifully gothic sets from the film...

A shot from the duel atop the giant sun dial...

Throughout the pursuit, Liang's men have all been killed and Liang himself has been injured during each succeedingly deadly confrontations. One scene has Liang and his few remaining men facing off against a hired assassin (Pai Piao) who uses Butterfly Swords and also a hidden wrist weapon that fires Scorpion Darts laced with venom. One of his men is hit with one of the poison needles and Liang and the assassin fight atop a giant fog enshrouded sun dial. If Liang wins, he gets the antidote and the assassins' share of the gold.

There are many great sets that are nearly always found in Shaw Brothers movies. Even in their lower tier B movies, there is always an element of quality in the set design that makes them appear more expensive than they really are. In almost every sequence, the constant grim and gloomy atmosphere is hammered home in the form of lots and lots of rain, thunder and lightning and a great wind storm. One ominously gothic scene has Liang limp across a battlefield amidst many arrow riddled and sword slashed bodies surrounded in fog. He finds the body of his brother resting on his knees his sword propping him up in the mud. Upon reaching him, he touches his shoulder by which he then slumps over. He was dead for some time. Suddenly a great rain storm appears again flushing away the fog surrounding Liang who then maddeningly begins slashing his sword around him yelling "KILL!" after he has discovered the insidious plot.

Attempting to save the injured Liang, the last constable is impaled over a dozen times by marauders...

Duel in the rain...

Liang's brother finally joins him but tells Liang to get away to catch the gang leader while he holds the masked attackers at bay...

Liang searches through the corpse ridden swampland for his brother...

The finale features a bravura battle sequence filled with much blood splattering and limb severing that would appear prominantly in CONAN THE BARBARIAN a couple of years later. Such scenes had been a mainstay in Shaw productions since the 60s but here, these scenes have more of a visceral impact than before. Usually, in past films precise editing techniques were used in scenes involving people slashed with swords or other implements but here there are no cut-aways. You seen the weapon or arrow enter the body. It's obvious on a couple of occassions that the performer is wearing a plate loaded with blood bags, but by seeing the act without the editing, it adds a level of gruesomeness and savagery that adds another level of realism.

One of the most downbeat and depressing movies of any genre, this type of film was a mainstay at Shaw's. Chang Cheh started the whole concept of showing the hero as vulnerable. You would never know if he would live or die and many times his heroes would die albeit very spectacularly in adrenaline fueled bloody finales. This concept became commonplace at Shaws. After seeing dozens of movies I had only ever heard of, I began to wonder if it was a policy at Shaws that happy endings were not allowed!

Here comes the rain again...

...as the fog dissipates...

After learning who's behind the conspiracy, Liang paints the walls red in the gory finale...

Why this film was called KARATE EXTERMINATORS in the US is anyones guess. There is no Karate on display as most of the action is with swords. A japanese choreographer was responsible for the action which resembles fights in japanese movies. It was also called LIGHTNING KUNG FU. This title too, is misleading since there is no actual kung fu here either save for one character who has armor all over his body and uses his legs for fighting. There is lightning though!

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »

Check out the new thread I did on KILLER CONSTABLE. I'm gonna move them to the kung fu thread after awhile.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2007, 01:08:17 PM »

From the looks of it, it seems like a great film. Do you own this AC?

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2007, 01:10:29 PM »

Yeah, I've had an uncut fullscreen english version with really nice quality for years. It just came out in HK last week. Now I have a gorgeous quality widesceen version in the original language with subs. It was on tv for years only it was severely cut.

Man with no dame
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2007, 01:20:29 PM »

I like the swordplay in these films. It always looks like an elegant ballet! Afro

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2007, 01:22:30 PM »

I like the swordplay in these films. It always looks like an elegant ballet! Afro

Exactamundo!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM