Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 03:18:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  morricone's oscar........
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: morricone's oscar........  (Read 5496 times)
archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2007, 06:32:36 PM »

i just saw the award given on a YouTube clip, and my comment was:
"ennio exudes class, and dedicating it to his wife shows this.
a composer of the "first water" and a very decent, loving man.
my hero - forever."

and sitting right next to Maria, his wife, was another musician i respect: Quincy Jones.

the warmth and love in that room at that time was overwhelming.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »

my hero - forever."

and sitting right next to Maria, his wife, was another musician i respect: Quincy Jones.

Indeed.

And the things he said about Celine Dion was very touching.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 06:36:47 PM »

G'day, Peacemaker, just watched recent footage of EM and yo yo ma (cellist).
again, superb, and yo yo is definiely in p. caselles class.
david.

Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 08:56:23 PM »

As a Morricone fan, I was tickled pink he received the honarary Oscar.  However, I thought the tribute to him was a total lack of respect of his work as one of the greatest film composers ever.  Not only was the actual music from the films not played, but his best film work was not played at all except a for a few bars of GBU.  I don't think there are very many fans who would say his nominated scores for Days of Heaven, The Mission, The Untouchables, Bugsy, or Malena were better than his the ones he did for Battle of Algiers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Duck You Sucker, Once Upon a time in America, or Cinema Paradiso, just to name a few.  This man became a legend for his work on foreign films, not American ones.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 05:57:33 AM »

The Academy of Motion Pictures is not known for their forsight.

Hindsight, yeah.

EM's appearance could have been a lot worse!

Anyway, he's my favourite - always was (from 1968), always will be.

Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 08:46:08 AM »

I can't believe no-on ehas mentioned the greatest floor of all. When they were showing the clips of the  films he's worked on, and when the good, the bad and the ugly came on, it was Hugo Montinegro's version, not ennio's. Did no-one else find this a disgrace.

I'm also a huge clint fan, but i thought he was lazy and was a bit cocky about the whole think when he was introducing the segment, he only made up for it when he was interpreting what ennio said, but to be honest i thought that was a bit embarring as well when he was talking and some of the people in the order just didn't care and were looking baffled.

Kate Winslet face was the worst, she was quinting as if she he had no idea who he was, even though her film the holiday references ennio's music numerous times.

It's a shame, the mans a legend and it's well deserved, and the only man worthy of giving him the honour is clint eastwood, i just thought it lacked class thats all.

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 03:07:16 PM »

I can't believe no-on ehas mentioned the greatest floor of all. When they were showing the clips of the  films he's worked on, and when the good, the bad and the ugly came on, it was Hugo Montinegro's version, not ennio's. Did no-one else find this a disgrace.

Well, if Morricone didn't mind then neither do I.

geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 05:09:24 PM »

As a Morricone fan, I was tickled pink he received the honarary Oscar.  However, I thought the tribute to him was a total lack of respect of his work as one of the greatest film composers ever.  Not only was the actual music from the films not played, but his best film work was not played at all except a for a few bars of GBU.  I don't think there are very many fans who would say his nominated scores for Days of Heaven, The Mission, The Untouchables, Bugsy, or Malena were better than his the ones he did for Battle of Algiers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Duck You Sucker, Once Upon a time in America, or Cinema Paradiso, just to name a few.  This man became a legend for his work on foreign films, not American ones.
Totally agree Rblondie! Couldn't have said it any better. Afro

JFM
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 06:22:09 AM »

You should ask yourself what who holds royalty rights for various soundtracks, and then see if there's a correlation between what's played on Oscars. I suspect there's a lot of marketing, PR, and industry-smoozing going on in stuff like that.

---
jfm

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 06:23:15 PM »

It was nice to see him recieve that Oscar, but the tribute was not great. It should of been longer for one, and they should of played clips of his most famous foreign scores as well. Ennio deserved a 10 minute tribute in my mind.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 02:18:41 PM »

Indeed.

And the things he said about Celine Dion was very touching.

How did he depict her death?

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 03:34:17 PM »

How did he depict her death?

Grin

real01
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 02:55:54 PM »

Let us conclude: Morricone had to make music for about 500 films to get an Oscar...
He should get it for every Leone film...
What an energy!
I don't know if I'll ever have time or possibility to watch all the 500 films for which he composed the music...
I don't know if I'll ever collect all the music he made - and he is still working...

After they offered him a villa in Hollywood, Morricone sadi: "No, thanx, I'll rather stay in Italy!" Afro

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 09:27:04 PM »

hi, just remember guy and gals, "mina" is huge in europe, but virtually unknown elsewhere.
doesn't stop her amassing  a fortune, owning her own recording studio, etc, etc.
as you can tell, i'm a huge fan of most european culture.

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »

my hero - forever."

Have you got the You tube site where it shows him receing the Oscar...haven't seen it

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM