Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:20:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  El mariachi (1992), Desperado (1995) and Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: El mariachi (1992), Desperado (1995) and Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)  (Read 12673 times)
KERMIT
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2003, 11:23:28 AM »

OK CJ just seen you're thread on Open Range, dont think it's reached these shores yet, but my eyes are peeled.
micheal gambon reminded me of richard boone for some reason. costner & duvall plan their strategy like a generals.  don't tread on me additude is a duvall trait.

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2003, 06:32:14 PM »

I'm going to see it Thursday, but "shot on video", Garry you've just put me off.

Bon appetite.

Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2003, 05:53:16 AM »

I'm going to see it Thursday, but "shot on video", Garry you've just put me off.

Bon appetite.
LOL! Don't be, it still looks great. It's Hi-Def Video same as what Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones was shot on. Smiley

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2003, 03:22:34 AM »

Saw it yesterday,I thought it was very good in parts but overall a bit of a mess.Rodriguez is still good at shooting action on a low budget but here the best story,that of the Mariachi,was sidelined in favour of various other,confusing plots.Rdoriguez isobviously best when telling a simple,straight,story.here,he seems to overreach himself.i actually think a better movie might have been made out of the flashback scenes.Stll,it's worth seeing for some good action and performances,

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2003, 11:11:18 AM »

went to see it last night, and like Desperado , the start was superb but I soon got that sinking feeling that this was as good as it got and it was. If it was on tele I'd of turned over, oh dear!

A swallow doesnt make a summer.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 11:12:54 AM by Angel Eyes » Logged
Christopher
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 09:00:37 PM »

I just watched El Mariachi this past week in Spanish class (how cool is that? Grin). I liked it better than Desperado. I think Desperado is cool, and I like the over the top gun fights, but I think I prefer El Mariachi to it.

Haven't seen Once Upon a Time in Mexico yet, but might get around to that sometime.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 09:42:17 PM »

That's what I thought, I like El Mariachi better simply because its more realistic, (thought I did like Steve Buchemi, Cheech Marin, and Tarantino in Desperado)and I didn't like OUATIM at all seems like the same old same old with just a bigger cast.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 10:10:16 PM »

I liked Once Upon a Time in Mexico, not as much as Desperado, but it was still a lot of fun to watch.  The main attraction was Johnny Depp's corrupt Agent Sands.

I love his "clever" disguises and he has some of the funniest one-liners I've ever heard.  And can you beat the end with him after the torture sequence?  I really didn't see that coming.

I would love to see Rodriguez do a prequel with how Sands ends up in Mexico.  Then, you could end it right where OUATIM begins, with Sands meeting Cheech Marin.

Kurugen
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 09:44:59 PM »

This is obvisouly a Leone tribute except not as excuted as Leone. For instances the flashbacks are kinda incoherent to the viewer unless they know its a Leone tribute film.Has anyone else seen this?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 10:02:44 PM »

This is obvisouly a Leone tribute except not as excuted as Leone. For instances the flashbacks are kinda incoherent to the viewer unless they know its a Leone tribute film.Has anyone else seen this?

Yes, an entertaining but stupid film.The editing has problems.

There is a reference to "W Django" (Depp's three arm gag) and some references to what could be "Blindman" I suppose (Depp's loss of eyes at the end)?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 10:39:25 PM »

i recently picked up the "Mexico trilogy" box set for about $10

El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon A Time In Mexico

not necessarily the best movies ever, but as FC said, entertaining. Tarantino refers to these as Rodriguez's "Dollars Trilogy"

not that anyone cares what Tarantino has to say  Roll Eyes

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 11:38:35 PM »

not that anyone cares what Tarantino has to say  Roll Eyes

I do. He is a competant director and surly the best American screen writer we have at the moment.
Used to be a bigger fan of his but he's somebody you grow out of.

Can't agree with him on Rodriguez though...he's a hack.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 11:40:22 PM »

El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon A Time In Mexico

"Desperado" being the best of the three in my opinion (even though the ending is unsatisfying) and "El Mariachi" being the worst. It's really dull.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 12:43:35 AM »

"Desperado" being the best of the three in my opinion (even though the ending is unsatisfying) and "El Mariachi" being the worst. It's really dull.

yeah, i agree with you on Desperado.. always loved that movie. i'm with you on the ending though. those freakin rocket launching guitar cases are just too ridiculous for me. and i've always hated the way Rodriguez uses explosions, with them happening in the background while a guy is launched in the air.. looks completely stupid

Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 07:33:08 AM »

Well, I thought it was Once/Mexico was really, really bad. No soul, no decent script, lousy characters. It's been a long time since I saw it, though.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM