Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 03:48:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  El mariachi (1992), Desperado (1995) and Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: El mariachi (1992), Desperado (1995) and Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)  (Read 12683 times)
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 07:45:41 AM »

it's been some years since I saw it too, but I didnt like it. and I seem to remember it was horribly edited.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006, 08:22:49 AM »

yeah, i agree with you on Desperado.. always loved that movie. i'm with you on the ending though. those freakin rocket launching guitar cases are just too ridiculous for me. and i've always hated the way Rodriguez uses explosions, with them happening in the background while a guy is launched in the air.. looks completely stupid

I liked the guitar case rocket launcher and the guitar cased machine guns. It was a quirky idea (though it made little sense) and I saw it as an reference to "Django". That was fine.
The ending I disliked was Bandera's never has a proper gun fight with his brother (the villain). He just fires at the screen just as he meets him and everything goes white.

Rodriguez must have run out of money at this point and could not shoot a decent final fire fight or he was just too lazy or out of ideas.

It feels unfinished and unsatisfying.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tim
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 08:46:18 AM »

I like Desperado and OUATIM, but Desperado is better.  Johnny Depp's Agent Sands is a great character though.  I would love to see a prequel with him that explained how he got posted to Mexico or a sequel with him coping with no eyes.  Like Firecracker said, it could be a homage of sorts to Blindman.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 01:14:10 PM »

I liked the guitar case rocket launcher and the guitar cased machine guns. It was a quirky idea (though it made little sense) and I saw it as an reference to "Django". That was fine.

i always felt that "El" was an obvious Django inspired character. carrying around the guns in the guitar case, the killed love, dark clothing, the General character that killed his love... i always liked the guitar case.. i just never went for the ones at the end, and in OUATIM, that are actual weapons.. maybe it had more to do with the way the Rodriguez shot the explosions from the rockets that turned me off so much, i just wrote the whole idea off..

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2006, 01:14:47 PM »

.  Johnny Depp's Agent Sands is a great character though. 

Yes. The only thing that was pulled off well in that whole flick.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2006, 01:17:42 PM »

i always felt that "El" was an obvious Django inspired character. carrying around the guns in the guitar case, the killed love, dark clothing, the General character that killed his love... i always liked the guitar case.. i just never went for the ones at the end, and in OUATIM, that are actual weapons.. maybe it had more to do with the way the Rodriguez shot the explosions from the rockets that turned me off so much, i just wrote the whole idea off..

According to Rodriguez he got his inspirations from the Mel Gibson "Mad Max" movies, not from SL or spaghetti westerns in general.

He got the Leone esq influence from the directors of the MM pictures (who were fans of SW).

Not sure of how much of that is true...surly the "W Django" reference in OUATIM cannot be coincidental.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM