Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 02:43:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  El mariachi (1992), Desperado (1995) and Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: El mariachi (1992), Desperado (1995) and Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)  (Read 12638 times)
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2003, 10:22:57 AM »

Has anyone else seen these two films directed by Robert Rodriguez,they are SO Leone-influenced but extremely cool in their own right.El Mariachi was made on the smallest budget ever but looks 10 times that amount.Desperado is both a sequel and a remake,it's such fun that I can forgive blatant steals from Leone's films and other spaghetti westerns[i.e.match lighting on face[FAFDM],guitar case with gun[Django].There is a third film,Once Upon A Time In Mexico[this could have been a good title for A Fistful Of DYnamite!]out soon.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 05:09:30 AM »

I've only seen Desperado, but its great and very Leonesque and the sequence with Cheech Marin and Tarantino in the bar is hilarious!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 11:06:19 AM »

They're both good, but Deperado fails to live up to it's brilliant start. But El Mariachi is superb.
Rodriguez is good, Dusk Till Dawn is excellent.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 02:25:41 PM »

I just saw El Mariachi, its actually the better of the two, Desperado gets a little far fetched.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 02:26:51 PM »

I saw a promo for "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" is that out yet or not?

Cuchillo
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 02:25:12 AM »

Hi, It comes out in England on Sept 26th. Looking forward to it. Wink

...Ten minutes you'll be smoking in Hell...
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 10:29:31 AM »

It comes out in the states September 12th.  It looks okay, but I don't know that I'm going to rush out and see it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 03:24:09 AM »

Saw OUTIM last night first impression, crap, like a re-remake of the first two, I was expecting much better, I have to float the Delaware River today, will elaborate later.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2003, 05:39:39 AM »

Saw OUTIM last night first impression, crap, like a re-remake of the first two, I was expecting much better, I have to float the Delaware River today, will elaborate later.

Yeah I know.  Certain promos of it have dissuaded me from seeing it.  I might check it out when it comes to video, but I don't think I'm gonna watch it in theaters.  Wink

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2003, 05:56:02 AM »

El Mariachi was great, a nice twist and a believable story.

The Desperado remake of it with Banderas had a bigger budget and better production values, the bar sequence with Tarantino was great but then it turned the original plausible story into a real cartoon, El Mariachi the Superhero would have been a better way to go at least you would then view it in that framework.

OUTIM just has more shootouts and even less of a story you care about.

What a let down, Leone kept getting better and better with his bigger budgets and Rodrigues gets worse, Leone made masterpieces that were butchered for distibution and Rodrigues makes crap. What injustice!

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 11:00:54 AM »

All the reviews of OUATIM have been good in the UK (or at least the ones I read). I'm going to see it next week, I reckon it looks good (although I've not seen any footage)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2003, 07:43:42 PM »

Good then give us your opinon then, and try and catch Open Range if it shows up too.

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2003, 04:16:15 PM »

which one is Open Range CJ, is that the one with Michael Marsden??

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2003, 04:21:21 PM »

OK CJ just seen you're thread on Open Range, dont think it's reached these shores yet, but my eyes are peeled.

Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 04:20:35 AM »

Cool flick! Cool

First off I'm not a huge fan of Desperado and while I do like El Mariachi it more for the fact it was made for so little by Robert Rodriguez' one man band techniques.

So I wasn't expecting to really love this but it easily won me over. It's still a one man band effort - even the credits are cool (shot, chopped and scored by Robert Rodriguez) Smiley  There's a lot more going on in the movie that in the previous films and this really does feel like an epic (albeit a short one). It's definitely got a spaghetti western feel (revolution, revenge flashbacks, weirdo weapons)  to it - although mainly referenced via John Woo - feel free to tick off Rodreguez' Woo homage's (Hard Boiled, The Killer, Hard Target, Face/Off) Tongue

The performances are great as is the cast. Stand outs (as always) Johnny Depp, but Willem Dafoe, Mickey Rourke, and the great (but rarely used) Ruben Blades put in memorable performances.

Antonio Banderas also plays a lot more serious 'El' and has a stony constipated look to him that was absent from Desperado. It was either a knowing nod to make him very reminiscent of Charles Bronson's Harmonica / or due to the film been shot on video. I like to think the former as it also no coincidence as he's very much out for revenge!

I could go on but I've got a inkling to go for a Pork Chilli with Tequila and a Lemon!

Go see it! Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM