Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2020, 04:52:29 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  In a Lonely Place (1950)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4]
: In a Lonely Place (1950)  ( 10308 )
kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #45 : September 25, 2017, 10:14:37 PM »

Secondly, one thing I never liked about the movie – and again, this is a terrific movie, the few quibbles notwithstanding – are those dumb lines, "I was born .... I lived a few weeks when you loved me." Yeah, I get it – for a man like Steele, even when he has finally found what could make him happy, he senses that one way or another, likely due to his own stupidity, he will throw it away. But those lines are corny – way too unsubtle. And having Laurel say the lines at the end – again, way too unsubtle. A movie should never say something is going to happen and then have it happen exactly that way. I just didn't like how Steele says those lines, and then have the movie turn out exactly that way, with Laurel saying the exact line. But, though I don't like the lines at all, at least it's better in the the original ending, with Bogie sitting over the typewriter with those lines types out – but nobody actually speaksing the line.

I disagree with you completely. I love those lines!  :)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #46 : January 27, 2019, 10:27:16 PM »

Eddie Muller presented this movie on TCM (not Noir Alley)

I recorded the intro/outros and the link are below, but they're quite short. If you've seen the Noir Alley versions (which I've posted earlier in this thread), I don't think these add much of anything

intro https://youtu.be/cPJCoXjcBUI

outro https://youtu.be/xbpaJ33TSeI

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #47 : August 21, 2019, 01:29:51 AM »

Just come on here to rate this movie 8/10. And to recommend a 20 minute documentary about the film. It's a 2003 video short made by a director called Curtis Hanson. 'In A Lonely Place' is a great mystery movie that keeps pondering at the end.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #48 : August 21, 2019, 06:18:01 AM »

Just come on here to rate this movie 8/10. And to recommend a 20 minute documentary about the film. It's a 2003 video short made by a director called Curtis Hanson. 'In A Lonely Place' is a great mystery movie that keeps pondering at the end.

Thanks!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #49 : August 21, 2019, 05:39:24 PM »

Eddie covers that in his intro.

Yes, that ending would have made it noir-ier, but not better. Muller is right:the film refuses to fulfill the noir tropes; it is a film for grown-ups. The two are connected. Noir is really something that appeals to teenagers and the teenagers in all of us. IALP feints with a noir left jab, then delivers an uppercut from reality's right. We're looking for one thing and it delivers another. It knocks me out every time.

Key to this is Bogart and his iconic presence. Since Casablanca he'd been playing romantic leads, of course, but he'd never given up the Psycho Bogart roles he'd initiated with The Petrified Forest. He continued to play nut-jobs in films like The Two Mrs. Carrolls and Conflict; at the end of his career he'd still be playing loons: Cpt. Queeg, of course, and also the villain in The Desperate Hours. The fun of IALP is knowing there are two types of Bogart roles, and wondering while we watch which one we're getting here. He's at turns the strong hero we've seen before, but at other moments he seems to be cracking up. We have to go the distance to find out his final disposition. Good dramaturgy.
Never thought of it in that sense but you're 100% on the money.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines