Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:45:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Street Date has been announced!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Street Date has been announced!  (Read 15492 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 04:05:16 PM »

Yes, it's the exact same version as the previous European SE releases

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 05:19:38 PM »

Thanks Dave for posting the link. After seeing this comparison, I feel we're still short changed even with that memory scene restored at the end. Knowing R1 DVD uses the same source as the UK DVD, we have to settle with incorrect music cues and incorrect colors (I prefer color quality of the old UK DVD) and possibly censored dialogue? And is this what we get after years of waiting?

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 05:30:46 PM »

and possibly censored dialogue?

The UK version has no censored dialogue.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »

The UK version has no censored dialogue.

The SE UK edition censored "F" word from the film according to that comparison site. In the bridge scene, Juan says "Fxxxing revolution" originally, but for the UK SE DVD, it was cut out. 

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 05:41:39 PM »

Thanks Dave for posting the link. After seeing this comparison, I feel we're still short changed even with that memory scene restored at the end. Knowing R1 DVD uses the same source as the UK DVD, we have to settle with incorrect music cues and incorrect colors (I prefer color quality of the old UK DVD) and possibly censored dialogue? And is this what we get after years of waiting?

Thing is, the UK DVD is the US MGM restoration and Sony, who have done some worthwhile restorations admitedly such as the absolutely incredible In A Lonely Place, wouldn't not spend so much money on another restoration. I really wish these films were in the hands of WB or atleast Fox. Yeah some of WB's restorations have been off color wise (The Searchers and Naked Spur come to mind) but they still know how to treat a film.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 05:51:53 PM »

I was exchanging email with Glenn Erickson of DVD Savant in the past few days. He told me that although film archivists like John Kirk commit to pains-taking work to restore films, when it comes to decision of what track to use for audio, it's all controlled by marketing people without involvement of archivists. To me it's blasphemous not only to the original creator but to serious fans like us.     

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 06:03:48 PM »

The thing about Kirk is that with the audio he seems to keep saying that the Audio remixes are an improvement. I know I'm a purist etc but I just can't see how any of the upmixes in the DVD releases are an improvement (and I know the 5.1 on TGTBTU SE is a mistake which should be rectified). He seems to have done a lot of work on these films but to me it just seems ironic when the German editions do a simple cleanup with the picture of the HD Masters that MGM supplied them and they already look better then UK versions. I agree with often DVD releases its the studios that say right we want a 5.1 etc but some studios, Warner and Fox are the best to highlight here with Criterion as a non studio regulated DVD production company also having to be included, often supplying the mono. Gone With The Wind got a 5.1 upmix but it also included the mono. WB films that do have upmixes done to them of 5.1 tend to be a presentation of the original 4 track + soundtracks used in the 50's - 60's with The Spirit Of St Louis and Forbidden Planet being some of the best examples. Other companies such as Chase have done psuedo stereo versions based on original but now lost stereo or surround tracks (the original War of the Worlds is good example of this function). It does get done by other studios and it used to be done by MGM and Sony but it now just seems to be upmixes of everything. Probably so we have to fork out for the blueray versions. I remember when Sony began re-releasing some of their old catelogue but removed the widescreen option and just put a pan and scanned monstrosity on there. There are some incredible restorers out there but IMO Sony and MGM usually screw up their restorations and releases.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 06:28:03 PM »

I agree with you LA about SE GBU. The new audio in that film was not really an improvement. I was appalled by the new gun shots. They all sound the same and sound totally different from the original mono audio. That is a big turn off for me. Blondie's line "Each gun makes its own tune" now loses its credibility. 

I wish Criterion could restore FFDM and DYS. Even if their price is a little higher, it's worth. I don't care much for surround sound. As long as both image and audio are originals, I'll be satisfied. And I don't think this is too much to ask.       

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 06:40:53 PM »

True. As much as I love Criterion I would love to have had Fox or especially Warners to have owned and restored it from the start. Oh well  Undecided

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 02:03:50 PM »

Now that I know that the R1 is using the same source as the UK DVD, I might not even bother to get it.

Let's see what kind of special features it will have.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 02:11:56 PM »

It has the same special features

Duck, You Sucker (Fistful of Dynamite) Collector’s Edition

Disc 1: Main Feature
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
French and Spanish DD2.0 Surround
English, French and Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary by Sir Christopher Frayling

Disc 2: Extra Features
The Myth of Revolution - Sir Christopher Frayling discusses Leone's political leanings, his maturing method and style
Sergio Donati Remembers "Duck You Sucker!"
Once Upon a Time in Italy (aka: The Autry Exhibition) – Behind-the-scenes of putting together an exhibit on Leone
Sorting Out the Versions - including shortened versions, the long flashback scene, UA's decision to rename the film
Restoration Italian Style - John Kirk discusses restoring the original Italian version for the first time on DVD
Location Comparisons - intercutting film clips with current footage of locations used
Radio Spots -6 Radio spots - audio only with texted video
Original Theatrical Trailer (4x3)

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »

Ah, the hell with it then.

I'll keep my UK edition.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 01:10:37 PM »

I did some research on SE DVDs of all regions. I concluded that this Japanese DVD is the best. It's called "Giu La Testa Complete Edition". This distributor got the DVD master from Leone Production in Italy. It's the original Italian edition (with Japanese subtitles). This distributor, Stingray, paid very expensive rental fee for the materials they rented from Leone Production. I can assume that both image and audio are in an excellent condition. But alas, this is sold out at many places already! The only place I can get it from is Japanese Amazon, but it costs 10,800 yen (over 90 dollars!). (They have English SE with an alternate ending for 36,500 yen (306 dollars Shocked).)

Japanese Giu La Testa Complete Edition

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »

Hey Sanjuro, what's the English translation of the Japanese title for DYS?

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 02:05:25 PM »

It's either "The Sunset Gangs" or "Gangs of Sunset".

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM