Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 08:40:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Joheunnom nabbeunnom isanghannom aka The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joheunnom nabbeunnom isanghannom aka The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008)  (Read 8352 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 03:36:12 PM »

OK, finally got around to seeing this and since I wasn't expecting much i was pleasantly surprised.

Director: Ji-woon Kim, Writers: Ji-woon Kim (screenplay), Min-suk Kim (screenplay). Starring Kang-ho Song as  Yoon Tae-goo / The Weird,   Byung-hun Lee  as  Park Chang-yi / The Bad, and Woo-sung Jung  as Park Do-won / The Good.  Now its basically a treasure hunt in the frontier of Manchuria in the late 1930's, and has this funky Western/Asian fusion going on that believe it or not it really works. It definitely homages "The Good The Bad & The Ugly", and " Duck You Sucker" but it also in a strange way channels parts of "Mac Kenna's Gold" and "The Hallelujah Trail" and other films. 

Here is a new link to the trailer which for some reason is no longer available in the earlier posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQu_QH2yYsI

The basic plot revolves around a map to an undisclosed treasure somewhere along the Mongolia- Manchurian Frontier with Russia. The existence of the map is supposed to be a secret but its not and various parties converge upon its whereabouts. 

The opening scene is vast tract of desert with a hairline railroad running through it and upon the tracks a steam locomotive pulling a line of passenger coaches (could be referencing "Bad Day At Black Rock's" opening sequence.

The standout performance in this is Kang-ho Song's, as Yoon Tae-goo / The Weird. He's funny, tricky, resourceful, and well weird, and we first see him wearing a goofy "mad bomber" trapper style hat posing as a vendor walking through the coaches filled with various ethnic Asians, selling his wares. We follow him as he makes his way to a private car at the end of the train and his goal, with two automatic pistols in each hand he shoots his way into the car. While all this is taking place  Park Chang-yi / "The Bad" (Byung-hun Lee) is standing down line in the middle of the tracks waiting to stop the train expressly to obtain the treasure map.

In the private car "the Weird" is  confronted by two hookers two Japanese officers and a diplomat. Having the drop on everyone "The Weird" instructs one of the hookers to retrieve and open suitcases and display their contents to him. She open one that contains jewels and cash, and he instructs her to open the next one that is located near one of the officers, when she does, we see that it contains a gun, and the officer is poised to grab it.  At that moment "The Bad" has lit a pile of railroad ties on fire and the panicked engineer of the train spots it and applies the air brakes, the sudden lurch of the braking, the officer grabbing the revolver and inertia taking taking effect causes pandemonium in the private car resulting in a shootout. The hooker laying next to "The Weird", both officers and the diplomat are dead. The Weird with his head near the dead hookers crotch sees up her skirt, reaches nonchalantly with his free hand, a retrieves a roll of bills from either the top pf her stockings or panties. He then scoops up the jewels and cash, checks out the suitcase that contained the revolver and finds the leather case that holds the treasure map which he grabs also but has no idea what it is, all this is going on while "The Bad' is shooting up the train and systematically searching the passenger cars for the map. Observing all this is Park Do-won / "The Good" (Woo-sung Jung) who is a bounty hunter after "The Weird" and a local tribe of what could be Mongols who also know about the map. "The Weird" hearing the gunshots of "The Bad's" gang exits the train and gets picked up by his partner in crime a relative on a motorcycle with a side car and leaves the scene pursued by "The Good' .

This is a surprisingly entertaining film that doesn't take itself too seriously, rent it on Netflix.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »

Though some scenes are clearly an hommage to GBU, the movie is akin to those Indiana-Jones generated movies based on 30's pulp fiction. The characters are not-existant, which is good for me as it is all based on action from start to finish. Of course it has the advantage of new sets, new backgrounds, new characters and it gets 8\10 as it entertained me without a pause.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »

Though some scenes are clearly an hommage to GBU, the movie is akin to those Indiana-Jones generated movies based on 30's pulp fiction. The characters are not-existant, which is good for me as it is all based on action from start to finish. Of course it has the advantage of new sets, new backgrounds, new characters and it gets 8\10 as it entertained me without a pause.

That sounds about right. It's lots of fun regardless of what you want to call it. I thought the huge four-way chase/gun-battle towards the end was absolutely astonishing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »

I never can find the time to watch it. Cry

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 01:35:18 AM »

That sounds about right. It's lots of fun regardless of what you want to call it. I thought the huge four-way chase/gun-battle towards the end was absolutely astonishing.

My main complaint is about the actor playing the "good one": he's too young and nerdy-looking. Good (but we see lots of them nowadays) the Johnny Depp clone playing the "bad one" and very good the Tuco-like character. Another minus is the score, good only for the vamp from don't let me be misunderstood disco version as noted above.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 01:55:52 AM »

My main complaint is about the actor playing the "good one": he's too young and nerdy-looking.

"Feminine" is how I'd describe him. Same with "The Bad".

I was really looking forward to this but I was disappointed.
The opening train robbery is great but did we need a big action set piece like this every moment of the film?
There is such a thing as too much HOO HA!.

5/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 04:05:17 AM »

"Feminine" is how I'd describe him. Same with "The Bad".

I was really looking forward to this but I was disappointed.
The opening train robbery is great but did we need a big action set piece like this every moment of the film?
There is such a thing as too much HOO HA!.

5/10

Apparently there was more flashbacks in the original release that concerned I think a spy/love story relationship of a woman with the Good, (you can see them in the extras) they probably broke up the action a bit, but I agree it was a bit over loaded when it didn't have to be, but I was nevertheless pleasantly surprised as I wasn't expecting much.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 04:07:11 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 09:12:57 AM »

Nah, the non-stop action was what I liked most about it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »

Nah, the non-stop action was what I liked most about it.

Well, at any rate it's better than Miike's Django "remake".

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 02:45:44 PM »

Anyone seen this movie? It's meant to be inspired  by GBU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good,_the_Bad,_the_Weird

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:54:28 PM by emmo26 » Logged

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »

yes its reviewed in Other Films

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 03:57:40 PM »

Here.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM