Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 06:50:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  IfI take a day out of school in May, and have my mom drive me 50 miles...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IfI take a day out of school in May, and have my mom drive me 50 miles...  (Read 23966 times)
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2007, 02:57:24 PM »

Marmota, study the lyrics from George Thorogood's version of John Lee Hooker's song One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer.

The important English language stuff they probably don't teach you in class....

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer
Well I ain't seen my baby since I don't know when,
I've been drinking bourbon, whiskey, scotch and gin
Gonna get high man I'm gonna get loose,
Need me a triple shot of that juice
Gonna get drunk don't you have no fear
I want one bourbon, one scotch and one beer

But I'm sitting now at the bar,
I'm getting drunk, I'm feelin' mellow
I'm drinkin' bourbon, I'm drinkin' scotch, I'm drinkin' beer
Looked down the bar, here come the bartender
I said "Look man, come down here"
So what you want?

No I ain't seen my baby since the night before last,
Gotta get a drink man I'm gonna get gassed
Gonna get high man I ain't had enough,
Need me a triple shot of that stuff
Gonna get drunk won't you listen right here,
I want one bourbon, one shot and one beer

Now by this time I'm plenty high,
You know when your mouth a-getting dry you're plenty high
Looked down the bar I say to my bartender
I said "Look man, come down here", he got down there
So what you want this time?
I said "Look man, a-what time is it?"
He said "The clock on the wall say three o'clock
Last call for alcohol, so what you need?"

No I ain't seen my baby since a nigh' and a week,
Gotta get drunk man till I can't even speak
Gonna get high man listen to me,
One drink ain't enough Jack you better make it three
I wanna get drunk I'm gonna make it real clear,
I want one bourbon, one scotch and one beer

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2007, 02:59:53 PM »

The important English language stuff they probably don't teach you in class....

They really don't.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Man with no dame
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2007, 06:44:18 PM »

Yea, Silenzio, That will help her English! Shocked

Man with no dame
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2007, 08:26:52 PM »

But having monkey is more of not being awake. Wink
That's usually what I am, lately. How was the concert? Smiley

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2007, 07:53:59 AM »

That's usually what I am, lately. How was the concert? Smiley

Great. Our church was full and some people were even listening from outside. Smiley It was a female quartet, they were only singing, no instruments, but they could produce so many different sounds by their voices, that was really interesting.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Man with no dame
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2007, 08:03:46 AM »

Great. Our church was full and some people were even listening from outside. Smiley It was a female quartet, they were only singing, no instruments, but they could produce so many different sounds by their voices, that was really interesting.
  That is called a capela(probably spelled that wrong, I don't know Latin). In the states, we call it Doo-Wop! Kinda like the Backstreet Boys! What do they sing, chants, gospel?

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2007, 08:32:15 AM »

That is called a capela(probably spelled that wrong, I don't know Latin). In the states, we call it Doo-Wop! Kinda like the Backstreet Boys! What do they sing, chants, gospel?

Their own music, something from Africa... quite a mixture.
I know virtually nothing about Backstreet Boys, but I have a feeling it wasn't the same...

Man with no dame
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2007, 12:07:04 AM »

Their own music, something from Africa... quite a mixture.
I know virtually nothing about Backstreet Boys, but I have a feeling it wasn't the same...
  A capela is the use of your voice to create music. without use of musical instruments. I am assuming from your Slavic background that you are Roman Catholic. In that stance, a capela would translate to the Gregorian chant. What you describe of the group is more Tribal African. Somewhat along the lines of what Paul Simon experimented with in the 80's. Are you musically inclined(ie: do you enjoy playing or listening to music?).

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2007, 01:59:51 AM »

A capela is the use of your voice to create music. without use of musical instruments. I am assuming from your Slavic background that you are Roman Catholic. In that stance, a capela would translate to the Gregorian chant. What you describe of the group is more Tribal African. Somewhat along the lines of what Paul Simon experimented with in the 80's. Are you musically inclined(ie: do you enjoy playing or listening to music?).

I know quite a lot of musical terms, luckily, because we had quite a good music teacher in junior years of Grammar/High school; so, thanks, you don't have to explain a capela or Gregorian chant to me, at least not the basics of it.
But I'm not Roman catholic. I'm evangelistic by chance, but, actually, in our nation it's not so common, being Christian. In 2001, there were 35 % of believers in our nation, according to the census...
Also, I would like to point out to you, that a lot of Slavic nations are in the orthodox/eastern church (think about Russia, Ukraine...)

I enjoy music, yes, though more passively, i.e. listening to it... I like Paul Simon, but unfortunatelly I know nothing about what he did in 80s, I know mainly the Simon & Garfunkel era...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2007, 07:52:02 AM »

But I'm not Roman catholic. I'm evangelistic by chance[...]
By "providence," nicht wahr?

Sorry to hear about your fondness for Simon & Garfunkel. Your parents have a lot to answer for. Grin

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Man with no dame
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2007, 08:00:25 AM »

I know quite a lot of musical terms, luckily, because we had quite a good music teacher in junior years of Grammar/High school; so, thanks, you don't have to explain a capela or Gregorian chant to me, at least not the basics of it.
But I'm not Roman catholic. I'm evangelistic by chance, but, actually, in our nation it's not so common, being Christian. In 2001, there were 35 % of believers in our nation, according to the census...
Also, I would like to point out to you, that a lot of Slavic nations are in the orthodox/eastern church (think about Russia, Ukraine...)

I enjoy music, yes, though more passively, i.e. listening to it... I like Paul Simon, but unfortunatelly I know nothing about what he did in 80s, I know mainly the Simon & Garfunkel era...

Sorry to hear about your fondness for Simon & Garfunkel. Your parents have a lot to answer for. Grin
  Evangelists are called "Holy Rollers" in US, don't know why. S & G had a few good tunes, I'd listen to them over the Beatles.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2007, 08:33:24 AM »

This link to wikipedia will put you in the picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roller

And I don't mean to nit-pick, but "holy roller" is really a synonym for "charismatic" rather than "evangelical."

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Man with no dame
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2007, 08:39:31 AM »

This link to wikipedia will put you in the picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roller

And I don't mean to nit-pick, but "holy roller" is really a synonym for "charismatic" rather than "evangelical."
  That should tell you my knowledge of religion. The last time I was in a church was Christmas mass back in the 80's. My first wife "dragged" me in there kickin' and screamin'. Kneal,stand,kneal,stand,kneal,sing,stand! Almost like aerobics. Not a good place to be with a saturday night hangover.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2007, 08:42:04 AM »

By chance I meant Man with no dame, though I'm not catholic, still met one of the 35% of believers from our nation. Maybe I'm not so outgoing with my beliefs to say by providence, but I meant it like that. Wink
Hey, there's no reason to be sorry about me and Simon & Garfunkel! I like being this 60s freak I sometimes am!

Evangelists are called "Holy Rollers" in US, don't know why. S & G had a few good tunes, I'd listen to them over the Beatles.

I definitelly do listen to them over Beatles, which however doesn't mean I don't like Beatles.

I'm not sure if you got the idea about my church... it's called "Evangelistic Church of Czech Brethren" and it unites the main non-catholic churches from our history, i.e. utraquists AKA hussites, Lutherans, Calvinists and that church that is probably known to you as Moravian Brethren.

Yeah, you're right, it's different. I have a bit of problems with these terms in English, however, it seems I'm going to get educated soon...

That should tell you my knowledge of religion. The last time I was in a church was Christmas mass back in the 80's. My first wife "dragged" me in there kickin' and screamin'. Kneal,stand,kneal,stand,kneal,sing,stand! Almost like aerobics. Not a good place to be with a saturday night hangover.

Haha, I know that impression! Even when I've been going to church from my early childhood!

P.S. Fortunatelly we're not kneeling there.

Man with no dame
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2007, 08:53:12 AM »

I'm not sure if you got the idea about my church... it's called "Evangelistic Church of Czech Brethren" and it unites the main non-catholic churches from our history, i.e. utraquists AKA hussites, Lutherans, Calvinists and that church that is probably known to you as Moravian Brethren.  M-b                   Boy, that's a lot of factions. I've never even heard of some of them. Sounds like barbarian hordes ie: the Hessians, the Gauls etc. Or motorcycle gangs! Grin Maybe that's where they got the expression Holy rollers. Embarrassed

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM