Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 04:40:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU vs. BBC
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Which film do you prefer, GBU or BBC?
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly   -10 (66.7%)
il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo   -5 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: GBU vs. BBC  (Read 12583 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2007, 05:11:06 PM »

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is not the same film as il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo. The first is dubbed in English and is 16 minutes shorter than the original Italian-language film. The so-called restored version of GBU (2003) cannot be considered anything more than an interesting aberration, containing changes to the soundtrack that were never countenanced by the director.

GBU has one principal advantage over BBC, the voice talents of Eastwood, Wallach, and LVC. BBC, however, has a longer running time and (according to italophones) better dialogue. Clearly, both are good films, but anyone who has seen both has a preference. Which is yours?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 06:41:31 PM »

ghrumphhh.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 02:57:24 AM »

Cannot decide.

BBC runs far too long and has many unnecessary scenes.

unnecessary scene count:

1.Tuco asking for directions at a confederate camp at night- Pointless to say the least.

2.Blondie commenting on the corpses of soldiers as him and Tuco by-pass the remains of a battle-
You can see some rear projection was used in a few shots. Apparently they had to do some pick-up shots back in Rome. If you ask me they should have left this scene on the cutting room floor. Blondie shouldn't express his opinion on the war until the bridge scene much later in the film. Removing this scene makes his bit of dialogue at the bridge ("I've never seen so many men wasted so badly") more poignant because it would be the first time he shows his "good" side. Leaving this scene in is overkill.

3. Blondie camping out with AE (or "Sentenza" as he's called here) and his fellas-
My favorite of the totally unnescessary scenes (more LVC! Who doesn't love him!?) but that doesn't stop it from being utterly pointless. It's just feels like fluff to me. We already established earlier that AE has a gang of ruffians back at Batterville. No need to introduce them all over again here. It also has a black joke that doesn't really work:
After shooting one of AE's lackies, Blondie counts 6 others in AE's gang (including AE himself) and makes a joke that six is the "perfect number" because there are 6 more bullets in the chamber of his gun. WRONG. You have five slugs in your chamber left, ya dummy! Cheesy

4.The extra conversation between the drunken captain and our two heroes-
Again, pointless. We've already established that both opposing sides fill their solidiers with booze before sending them off to battle. Why must we be reminded? It was said less than 30 seconds before. It's an insult to the audience.

That's four pointless scenes that pretty much run (all together) about 10 minutes. So you have 10 unnecessary minutes in BBC. Cut these out and you would have a perfect movie.

GBU however has no fluff ( Well...an arguement can be made that about an hour and a half of both movies are pure fluff but at least it's done in an interesting manner). It's just missing two scenes (and one snippet) that would have made the film perfect.

1(snippet really).Blondie holstering his gun after killing the bounty hunters that captured Tuco-  It may be insignificant (some never even catch it) to some, but I think this extra 10 seconds are a must to have on the original GBU to make it perfect. The American release cuts straight to Blondie walking up to Tuco without him holstering his gun first. The editing feels choppy without this quick snippet.

2. AE visiting the defeated confedrate fort-  Should have been included. Why wasn't it!? Time reasons? No excuse. This is one of the best scenes of the entire movie (BBC) and should have been kept for the American release. It adds a new layer to the villain of the film and adds a little inside info on how AE got to becoming a commanding official in Batterville.

3. Tuco taking a refreshing break from torturing Blondie in the desert- An excellent, and well shot, scene. Tuco teasing Blondie with the promise of water is deliciously sadistic and fun to watch. This scene also fills a tiny continuity gap between the few shots before this (remember, this didn't make it to the final American release) and when Blondie is rolling down the dune.

Add these to GBU and you would have cinematic perfection Afro

EDIT: Did not add the "grotto" scene because it was never on either film (BBC had it intact once for the Roman premiere but it was quickly cut out soon after). Thus, it never belonged according to the master himself.
I agree with this. It's a rather long and drawn out scene that only explains where Tuco aquired three amigos to help take out Blondie later in the film. That is an unnecessary detail. The film works great without it.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 12:03:50 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:30:08 AM »

Easy .......  BBC. Afro

Without checking BBC is how Leone intended the movie and (like so many other sw's)  was cut by 15 minutes for the English speaking audiences.The new scenes on the SE are great ,enhancing GBU's greatness,in spite the restorers making a hash of the audio.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 09:34:07 AM »

Firecraker, your points are well taken,

The "six is the perfect number" I agree isn't really needed

The others were great in decipering the GBU timeline

You forgot to mention the Tuco Recruitment Scene of his old cronies though.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 10:05:47 AM »

I'm gonna go with BBC

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 10:51:44 AM »

Argggh!You all knowing cigar joe! Angry Grin

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 11:49:41 AM »

No I didn't forget it. I purposely did not include it because that wasn't in either film (BBC or GBU) until just recently. BBC only had that scene for the Roman premiere and then was quickly taken out.

So to me, it doesn't even belong there. It's a nice scene strictly for curiosity reasons, but it does not belong in the film.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 02:19:12 PM »

ok Roman premier cut  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 04:11:48 PM »

Firecraker, your points are well taken,

The "six is the perfect number" I agree isn't really needed

The others were great in decipering the GBU timeline

What about the Socorro scene, was that ever actually filmed or is there just stills available telling the storyline..something about a french trailer?HuhHuh

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 10:07:33 PM »

Only a few segments were supposedly filmed and they were not in good enough shape, (however there are stills showing the whole sequence so you'd think they were filming when they shot the production stills), the other cut sequence is the Tuco-Blondie cannon duel shown in the French trailer & in stills again.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 12:29:21 AM »

Only a few segments were supposedly filmed and they were not in good enough shape, (however there are stills showing the whole sequence so you'd think they were filming when they shot the production stills), the other cut sequence is the Tuco-Blondie cannon duel shown in the French trailer & in stills again.

If I'm not mistaken I believe the Socorro sequence was apart of the Roman premiere but suffered the same fate the Grotto scene did.

I'll have to consult the special edition dvd for details.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:38:51 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 12:31:40 AM »

From what I've read I don't think the socorro sequence ever made it to the public, but I could be wrong. Then of course there's also the legendary "bread/knife" mystery scene featured in one of the common lobby cards....

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 04:43:31 PM »

ghrumphhh.
This means what, exactly?

I agree that the so-called "grotto scene" is a part of neither film. Perhaps I should add the Roman premier version to the list of choices?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »

Perhaps I should add the Roman premier version to the list of choices?

nah. It would cause confusion. Besides, not many on here are a fan of that scene anyway.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM