Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 02:23:59 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU vs. BBC
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Which film do you prefer, GBU or BBC?
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly   -10 (66.7%)
il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo   -5 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: GBU vs. BBC  (Read 12876 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 11:30:53 AM »

Of course not. That's why YOU'RE supposed to help us out with English translations, as necessary. After all, how will you persuade anyone that BBC is best if you don't offer evidence that everyone can understand?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »

The Socorro sequence is the one from which the still of Clint in bed with the seniorita comes from. Evidently, Clint gets to romance the gal and screw up Tuco at the same time. Tuco is shaking down everybody for a nice bit of change but Clint gets away with the loot, one more reason for Tuco to go after him. As I understand it, this material was shot but never made it into any cut of the film and is now lost.

D'oh, I should have remember that!  Shocked

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 04:31:26 PM »

Of course not.

Cry

After all, how will you persuade anyone that BBC is best if you don't offer evidence that everyone can understand?

Don't try to turn tables on me, DJ. It is you who started this all mess and insist on it to no end since I can't remember when (and can't understand why). I don't want to persuade anybody because BBC is Leone's film, GBU isn't or at least it is not (and can't be) as much as the former is, even assuming it is a better movie (which it isn't). We went through this already and don't want to repeat myself. If, for discussion's sake, we assume here in the forum that the difference between the two is just a mattrer of cuts, well, I'll get along with that. But even assuming there's not a definitive version of the movie as to images (I assume it is BBC for all the reasons already discussed) the audio can be only the italian one: the dialogues were written in italian and supervised by Leone whom could manage only italian (and spanish). If you want to imply that Knox had a part in the screenplay, that the story and episodes were built around the english language, let me know. I haven't read this anywhere, but maybe I'm wrong. And I won't admit that even regarding the subsequent movies, even though Knox was surely there while they were being shot. The fact that they were dubbed for the english version it is decisive, I think. Only for UOTA what you say bears validity. But there you had an american novel to start from.
Anyway, I would like to have an answer to this only question: what is LVC character's name?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 09:44:23 PM »

It depends on which version you are talking about. In BBC, his name is Sentenza, of course, but in GBU it is Angel Eyes. This is just one of the many ways the two films.

Mickey Knox was one of the collaborators on GBU, but as far as I can determine, he had no input into BBC. Similarly, GBU features the vocal talents of Eastwood, Wallach, and LVC (but not only that, apparently they had a say in their dialog); BBC had to make do with their images only. And on and on. It is not merely a question of different lengths. The two films are very different works, and naturally, people are going to differ on which they prefer. I started this thread to find out what the consensus (if there is one) in Leoneland might be (and this is why I'm not voting; I want to know what others think). Finally, I am a respecter of films rather than directors. Telling me that BBC is "more Leone" than GBU is totally meaningless to me. Now, if you want to argue that BBC is more Vincenzoni than GBU, and therefore better, and that you can offer examples, you might have something. I always find you entertaining, titoli (no one plays the dyspeptic old coot better), but I had hoped you wouldn't mind providing a bit of enlightenment as well. Oh well.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 10:47:40 PM »

In BBC, his name is Sentenza, of course, but in GBU it is Angel Eyes.

Why the difference?

Mickey Knox was one of the collaborators on GBU, but as far as I can determine, he had no input into BBC.

Amazing, isn't it?

Similarly, GBU features the vocal talents of Eastwood, Wallach, and LVC (but not only that, apparently they had a say in their dialog); BBC had to make do with their images only.

And with the vocal talents of professional dubbers (I would guess picked up by Leone himself) reciting the lines thought up by Leone and his writers.

Finally, I am a respecter of films rather than directors. Telling me that BBC is "more Leone" than GBU is totally meaningless to me.

I guess you're implying it's time to open up a Mickey Knox board or, better, a site.

(no one plays the dyspeptic old coot better)

And I can't even afford Knox to work on my English...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 11:06:18 PM »

It's a shame you don't want to argue your position. There are many here, myself included, who would like to learn some Roman slang.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2007, 12:35:02 AM »

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly....of course.  Afro

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2007, 09:15:54 AM »

Of course, Afro

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2007, 09:17:14 AM »

Well GBU certainly has better music/music timing at the end of the duel (see the other thread discussing that).....also the other thing it has in it's favor is that the 3 main characters lips match what they're saying, in italian, it must be harder to watch (all your main characters have lip flap, like a bruce lee movie)

Are certain jokes in the bbc? Like "idiots - it's for you" (you can see Eastwood mouth "it's for us" - I wonder what the italian translation is?)

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »

in italian, it must be harder to watch

Absolutely. When first released many people in Italy abandoned the theatres because of this and now they simply return their monolanguage dvds to the shops and sign for an english course. 

Are certain jokes in the bbc?

Probably not. Knox refused to translate them for Leone and poor Sergio had to make do with the little Age, Scarpelli, Vincenzoni and himself could devise to fit the images. 

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 03:59:18 PM by titoli » Logged

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »

GBU but I liked how BBC introduced Eli Wallach and LVC in the opening credits - they deserved to be recognised with Clint Eastwood.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM