Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:14:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Western Ideas
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Western Ideas  (Read 3356 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:58:10 AM »

Just for sheets & giggles,  we should come up with a list of favorite scenes in post Leone Westerns that you think could have been better done (much like Leone did with refrences in OUTITW).

I can think of what could have been a powerful scene in 100 Rifles where Raquel Welch's father is stung up (hanged) and choking in front of her and she jumps up on him and uses her body weight to break his neck, it was shot so badly that it is not emphasized and just blended into everyrhing else.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:12:57 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
As The Palaces Burn
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 10:19:24 AM »

I cant think of Leone specifically but Damiani's 'A Bullet for the General' springs to mind. But it's more of a stutter in continuity I guess.

At the very end of the narrative, just after Chuncho shoots Tate, the Mexican struggles with a group of men who are trying to restrain him for the murder. A shoeshiner picks up a disgarded bag of gold. Chuncho shouts 'Dont buy bread with that gold, hombre! Buy dynamite'. He then breaks free from the men's hold and jumps onto the train behind him. Despite being on the train, Chuncho suddenly appears between two stationary carriages where he runs into the distance and the credits roll.

Made me chuckle when I saw that.   

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 08:14:49 PM »

I don't mean Leone just Westerns in general , other westerns that had good ideas but executed then poorly.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:15:56 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:00:16 PM »

I cant think of Leone specifically but Damiani's 'A Bullet for the General' springs to mind. But it's more of a stutter in continuity I guess.

At the very end of the narrative, just after Chuncho shoots Tate, the Mexican struggles with a group of men who are trying to restrain him for the murder. A shoeshiner picks up a disgarded bag of gold. Chuncho shouts 'Dont buy bread with that gold, hombre! Buy dynamite'. He then breaks free from the men's hold and jumps onto the train behind him. Despite being on the train, Chuncho suddenly appears between two stationary carriages where he runs into the distance and the credits roll.

Made me chuckle when I saw that.   

I seem to remember him just running away from the guards, I don't think he hopped on the train.

Then again, I haven't seen the movie in over a year.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 09:04:40 PM »

I can think of what could have been a powerful scene in 100 Rifles where Raquel Welch's father is stung up (hanged) and choking in front of her and she jumps up on him and uses her body weight to break his neck, it was shot so badly that it is not emphasized and just blended into everyrhing else.

Well something like that is very difficult to explain to an audience with just visuals.

Most people, even though it's incorrect, believe that hanging is meant to choke the victim to death ( just watch Kirk Douglas's scene in Last Train from Gun Hill where he describes a false hanging to the kid to psyche him out ).

Most people in the audience would say "why the hell is she jumping on him?" Such a scene is very difficult to explain to the audience with just visuals.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »

I think Leone could have shot that one better and nake it more clearm all we see is two pairs of feet, lol.

As The Palaces Burn
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 02:41:13 AM »

I seem to remember him just running away from the guards, I don't think he hopped on the train.

Then again, I haven't seen the movie in over a year.

Yeah. I thought that originally. But if you slow down the moment he breaks free you can see him turn around and hop onto the carriage behind him. Then, within the blink of an eye, he's between the two carriages and running away from the guards. It all happens in a flash.

As The Palaces Burn
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »

Also, how bout that scene in 'Pale Rider' where Eastwood fights that gang of thugs with a piece of hickory. I liked the scene, thought it was really stirring and was no doubt done to the great man's best ability (considering he must have been getting on) BUT i do smile everytime i watch it. To me, the whole things looks so choreographed and strained. Mustn't grumble though, I couldnt do any better if I tried my best.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 01:09:53 AM »

I cant think of Leone specifically but Damiani's 'A Bullet for the General' springs to mind.

I too have a gripe with this film.
During the opening train robbery the conductor is forced to run down the crucified soldier. This could have looked much better with a blood (fake) filled dummy.
As is it looks like the solider some how broke free of the cross, stripped naked and ran off before the locomotive could run over his sword and uniform.

If the blood filled dummy was not affordable (which can't be the case because the film has a bloated budget) then just don't show the man getting run down. Imply it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 02:20:20 PM »

I too have a gripe with this film.
During the opening train robbery the conductor is forced to run down the crucified soldier. This could have looked much better with a blood (fake) filled dummy.
As is it looks like the solider some how broke free of the cross, stripped naked and ran off before the locomotive could run over his sword and uniform.

If the blood filled dummy was not affordable (which can't be the case because the film has a bloated budget) then just don't show the man getting run down. Imply it.

I agree, that always ticked me off. But the scene is still powerful, one of the most memorable in SW history.

I especially like the shot before the one you're referring to where you see the crucified soldier and the train wheels in the same frame, then the train starts to slowly roll toward the man with the drums playing on the soundtrack. Very eerie shot.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 04:48:29 PM »

No leave all the gore to all the trash that gets made today.
Some things are more effective when left to the imagination. Smiley

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 12:16:08 AM »

No leave all the gore to all the trash that gets made today.
Some things are more effective when left to the imagination. Smiley

That's why I said imply it. It would be much more effective than a train running over some clothes (which is precisely what we got).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM