Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:53:58 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Things to Remember When Doing a Film Studies Course
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Things to Remember When Doing a Film Studies Course  ( 9097 )
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #15 : June 24, 2007, 04:29:39 AM »

I'm glad I don't call myself a film critic! :)

Have you seen every film by Igmar Bergman?
IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS AND HASN'T KILLED THEMSELVES?

Ha-ha! ;D

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #16 : June 24, 2007, 04:51:23 AM »

lol

Seriously, I can understand what Bergen is after with this list, but isn't this a bit ridiculous? But, I'd answer to every spot at least "I'd like to".

BTW, are you  Hancock_the_Superb?

I agree. I do think a critic, or at least a professionial critic, should have some knowledge of cinema. But why restrict your knowledge to what seems to be a group of very obscure European/Asian film makers? (Excluding Bresson, Bergman, and Bunuel of course.) Shouldn't they be just as familiar with well-known films, American and other? :-\ Quite frankly, I'd rather listen to a critic who thinks John McTiernan is the greatest director of all time, than one who loves some extremely obscure Bulgarian silent movie made in 1907 just so he can say he's the ultimate film snob. ::)

And yes, I am Hancock. There's very little I do better than shameless self-promotion on the 'Net. ;)

« : June 24, 2007, 04:53:27 AM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #17 : June 24, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »

A great film buff is one who never restricts themselves to particular films. You must always have an open mind to any kind of movie.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #18 : June 24, 2007, 08:59:35 PM »

I agree. I do think a critic, or at least a professionial critic, should have some knowledge of cinema. But why restrict your knowledge to what seems to be a group of very obscure European/Asian film makers? (Excluding Bresson, Bergman, and Bunuel of course.) Shouldn't they be just as familiar with well-known films, American and other? :-\ Quite frankly, I'd rather listen to a critic who thinks John McTiernan is the greatest director of all time, than one who loves some extremely obscure Bulgarian silent movie made in 1907 just so he can say he's the ultimate film snob. ::)
A great sentiment, well expressed. Glad you used John McTiernan as your example (if you'd used Michael Bay, I would have had to flame you ;D).

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #19 : June 25, 2007, 04:57:02 AM »

A great film buff is one who never restricts themselves to particular films. You must always have an open mind to any kind of movie.

Very well-put, Peacemaker. That's what I like about Roger Ebert. He might have his faults and his ratings are kind of bizarre, but at least he's willing to give a movie like "Speed" a good rating as much as the latest art-house film by Kieslowski (if he's still making films after death, that is ;)).

To be fair, though, most of the more obnoxious film buffs aren't critics. Most of the ones I know are two-bit sawed-off morons populating websites like the IMDB who think that they're an ubermensch due to liking really old obscure movies and picking on all movies made today.  ::)

I'm just as able to enjoy a modern action film like "Blood Diamond" or "Pirates of the Caribbean" as a Leone film, it's just that the former is just something to watch - I don't dwell on it. One doesn't have to look down at popcorn movies, unless they're really bad.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #20 : June 25, 2007, 06:53:41 AM »

Still, it's not so much a question of watching certain kinds of movies, but re-watching them. Can you really imagine you'll be seeing POC 20 more times? How many more viewings of Blood Diamond have you got in you? This test can be applied to art house films as well: I'm pretty sure I won't be sitting down to Rashomon too many more times. But with Leone films, I expect at least 100 complete viewings of each in my lifetime (assuming average longevity). Popcorn films or art house, the same test applies: can you watch a given film repeatedly, over many years, and expect the same (or greater) level of pleasure that you received from a first viewing? With the truly great films, the answer is always yes.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #21 : June 25, 2007, 08:13:05 AM »

Well said, Dave! O0 Can't add anything...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #22 : June 25, 2007, 03:16:51 PM »

Still, it's not so much a question of watching certain kinds of movies, but re-watching them. Can you really imagine you'll be seeing POC 20 more times?

As long as we stay away from the second one, probably.

How many more viewings of Blood Diamond have you got in you?

Now that one - not too many.

This test can be applied to art house films as well: I'm pretty sure I won't be sitting down to Rashomon too many more times. But with Leone films, I expect at least 100 complete viewings of each in my lifetime (assuming average longevity). Popcorn films or art house, the same test applies: can you watch a given film repeatedly, over many years, and expect the same (or greater) level of pleasure that you received from a first viewing? With the truly great films, the answer is always yes.

I can only agree.

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines