Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:52:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Best Current Available Edition
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Current Available Edition  (Read 2040 times)
Nakadai
Bandido

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2007, 12:38:04 PM »

Shamefully I must admit, I haven't watched Once Upon a Time in America in years... So with that being said, I figure it's time to step up and pick Leone's final masterwork up.

Now there are several editions available from different regions, most seemingly released by Warner Brothers pointing to the likelihood of them being from the same source. From what i've read online it sounds as if the US 2 disc SE breaks in a most awkward moment, and was wondering if the other releases suffer the same fate?

Cutting to the chase, what's the best available release of Once Upon a Time in America?

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »

I have the U.S. 2-disc version, haven't watched it in a few years.  What's really weird is that some stuff that it states is on Disc 1 is really on 2, and vice-versa.  It does have a few scenes denoted by * which were not in the original U.S. extended release (presumably N.Y., Chicago, Los Angeles only) but were in the Cannes version.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 03:09:46 PM »

From what i've read online it sounds as if the US 2 disc SE breaks in a most awkward moment ...
This is true, but it was done for a very good reason, to ensure an optimal bit rate. I'm guessing the packaging with the incorrect chapter divisions reflects what was originally intended, before the mastering process revealed where the actual break between discs needed to come. So they traded continuity for superior image, a good bargain in my view.

I don't know if the R1 is the best version out there, but Robert A. Harris, the man who helped restore Lawrence of Arabia and Vertigo, endorsed it. Probably it's the best we can do until we get a HD/BD release.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM