Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2018, 04:04:26 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The poncho
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4
: The poncho  ( 20551 )
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #15 : May 13, 2007, 09:19:16 AM »

My first impression of the poncho was, "Wait, where the hell did he get that?" Because I saw GBU first and didn't notice him grabbing it offa the dead soldier.

rex
Road Apple

« #16 : May 15, 2007, 09:07:47 AM »

Interesting string of posts -- just thought I'd add my two cents. The poncho (and the cigar and the stubble beard) made a huge impression back in the 60's when the film(s) came out. I'm not sure if it's literally true that we'd never seen anything like that before -- but it felt like it. Cowboys (even that word suddenly became an anachronism!) were much more like John Wayne in "McClintock" or Roy Rogers on Saturday morning TV. Even Eastwood (a known TV star) was clean-shaven and relatively well-dressed in "Rawhide." Suddenly this new image of the West popped up, seemingly out of nowhere, followed quickly by sequels. It was the 60's; everything was changing. The British invasion of pop music; the James Bond franchise; a growing frankness in plot, theme and language in movies. Change was the order of the day -- and Leone's movies caught that wave and fit right in, even furthering it. A very dynamic era. The poncho was certainly part of Leone's vision, and his very successful effort to upset classic Western movie conceptions.

One other minor note -- it's interesting to watch "Yojimbo" and see Mifune's mannerisms (his hands hidden in his loose ronin clothes, the way he rubs his chin. A lot of that is echoed quite specifically in Eastwood's performance. The poncho may very well have been a way to capture some of that samurai feel using American West gear.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17 : May 15, 2007, 04:02:12 PM »

good points O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #18 : May 16, 2007, 12:55:30 PM »

Cowboys (even that word suddenly became an anachronism!)

I like this point! O0 Westerns were called "cowboy stories", at least in our country, and it was quite dismissive, but it really doesn't fit to Leone's work...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19 : May 16, 2007, 03:28:55 PM »

I honestly didn't have a first impression of the ponhco. It was so well ingrained into American pop culture that it seemed commonplace.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #20 : May 16, 2007, 05:00:06 PM »

I always wanted that Poncho for myself when I was a little kid, and I still don't have it. I want it! O0

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

« #21 : May 17, 2007, 08:27:06 PM »

Change was the order of the day -- and Leone's movies caught that wave and fit right in, even furthering it. A very dynamic era. The poncho was certainly part of Leone's vision, and his very successful effort to upset classic Western movie conceptions.

One other minor note -- it's interesting to watch "Yojimbo" and see Mifune's mannerisms (his hands hidden in his loose ronin clothes, the way he rubs his chin. A lot of that is echoed quite specifically in Eastwood's performance. The poncho may very well have been a way to capture some of that samurai feel using American West gear.

I watched FOD and Yojimbo over the weekend.  I can see what you're saying in both observations.   I definitely can see how the poncho added to the characterization of a new western anti-hero that would fit into the changing decade of the 60's.  I also like what you said about the comparison of Sanjuro's robe and the poncho.  

I noticed in the beginning when Eastwood rides into town and he's taunted by the trio from Baxter's camp, they put him down for his appearance.  Although they do not say specifically the poncho and the fact that he's riding in on a mule....that's what  I took it for.  I guess I was thinking that the poncho was also kind of like camouflage for the man with no name.  These guys misjudged him based upon appearance; had no idea who or what they were messing with .....as we find out rather quickly when he easily eliminates them to impress the Rojos.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #22 : May 18, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »

I always wanted that Poncho for myself when I was a little kid, and I still don't have it. I want it! O0

I want it, too! I love ponchos. I was thinking that, if I had enough of such yarn, I could weave it for myself... but with my speed of weaving (and limited tools)... :P

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #23 : May 19, 2007, 03:11:25 PM »

I want it, too! I love ponchos. I was thinking that, if I had enough of such yarn, I could weave it for myself... but with my speed of weaving (and limited tools)... :P

HAHA Well if you get around to sharpening up your weaving skills, you can make me a poncho! O0

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #24 : May 20, 2007, 12:10:05 PM »

HAHA Well if you get around to sharpening up your weaving skills, you can make me a poncho! O0

But:
1) I have to make it for myself at first.
2) If I ever make it for myself, I'll probably run out of all the suitable yarn only by making mine.
 ;D
Plus:
3) If I ever make you a poncho, it won't be for free! O0

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #25 : May 21, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »

But:
1) I have to make it for myself at first.
2) If I ever make it for myself, I'll probably run out of all the suitable yarn only by making mine.
 ;D
Plus:
3) If I ever make you a poncho, it won't be for free! O0

Well if it's good enough, I'd pay for it! ;)

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #26 : May 21, 2007, 12:48:57 PM »

Well if it's good enough, I'd pay for it! ;)

OK, wait some 20 years and maybe you'll have something to pay for... ;D

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #27 : July 27, 2009, 11:23:02 PM »

I watched again the movie today, this time with Frayling's comment. His observation that Eastwood wears the poncho only in the first and in the final scene made me reflect that the poncho was first adopted probably because it allowed to hide in a natural way the hand-made armour. 
That would disprove again Eastwood's contention that the adoption of this garment was his idea.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #28 : July 27, 2009, 11:53:18 PM »

... and it was put into the begining so that we viewers won't wonder where he got it? Yes, that makes sense.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #29 : July 28, 2009, 04:52:46 PM »

very good deducing  O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines