Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 10:07:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Film Locations (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  the arch
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the arch  (Read 20703 times)
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:05:13 PM »

Hi everyone have been away a while and the best of it was last week went to Monument Valley and visited the old arch, got the old blood boiling with the CD on and everything.
For them thats been the broken bottles are still all over the place but when we left I was chatting to a redskin on a stall at the turn off and he says that its sure a busy place to be as loads of people go their.
A thought has come to me, should we not at this site get together a fund or somthing to have the dam thing re built and a plackard placed their, it would not cost that much and I am sure the right approach to the locals would ease the way, now that would be a fitting tribute to Leone in  America.

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:07:34 PM »

Hi everyone have been away a while and the best of it was last week went to Monument Valley and visited the old arch, got the old blood boiling with the CD on and everything.
For them thats been the broken bottles are still all over the place but when we left I was chatting to a redskin on a stall at the turn off and he says that its sure a busy place to be as loads of people go their.
A thought has come to me, should we not at this site get together a fund or somthing to have the dam thing re built and a plackard placed their, it would not cost that much and I am sure the right approach to the locals would ease the way, now that would be a fitting tribute to Leone in  America.

That is single handedly the greatest idea that i have read on this forum

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:39:47 PM »

I suggested this a while ago as I live in Arizona and have been to the Arch, but (1) I don't know anything about masonry work (I've done tile) and (2) I have no idea what red tape would be involved (or if it'd even be possible) since it's on Reservation land.  But I'd bet things would go smoother if the term "redskin" was not used.....and my wife was not overly enthused about the idea....we'd have to stay at Gouldings or Mexican Hat....

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 12:41:27 PM by Cusser » Logged
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:19:46 PM »

Hey Cusser
The thing about the redskins, think back to the movie off loading the train (come you redskin worriors)
I tend to use a lot of teminology from the movie when I talk on this site very tongue in cheek.
No offence was ment to the Navajo.
I was not really thinking about us building the arch again a proffessional stonemason would be got for that as we would want a job that lasts.
Just think how grand it would be we could also have an opening night with the movie on big screen or somthing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 06:25:27 PM »

This is a good idea.  Afro I guess the first thing to do is find out who would be responsible for okaying such a project and then make an approach. A show of support from Paramount might help too.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 06:58:32 PM »

Where do we start that is the question, I know from last weeks visit that the drink makers Red Bull were doing their thing with aircraft and were having a runway built on Gouldings land and that another Navajo I was talking to said that the president of the tribe had got lots of crispy notes from the firm to be able to stage the event on the reservation land.
So maybe having a chat with the Navajo leadership would be a good start also contact Paramount laying out the idea and getting a quote from a local stonemason so we know what costs are involved and we can all chip in our bit do fundraisers ect.
Lets get more members on to this and get a think tank working to see this one through, for this forum to be able to restore the Arch and have a dedicated plack would be a lasting achievement not only for Leone and the greatest movie of all time but a fitting monument to all of us on this forum who come from all walks of life and opinions,race ect.
Man can work together for a common cause and hey what a party we could have on the opening night although we would put our bottles in the trash cans..
It would also be cool to have the hanging scene re-enacted on the night with like Peter Fonda and others. (jack daniels talking) oops

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 11:16:09 PM »

franksgrandson, if you rebuild the arch, you will become a heroic figure. Great idea.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 06:56:07 AM »

a nice Idea, but I don't think you'd need a stone mason I think it was supposed to be made out of adobe bricks

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 07:12:27 AM »

You can always ask Arch Stanton for help.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 05:22:53 PM »

You can always ask Arch Stanton for help.

Are you sure?  Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 01:25:58 PM »

Just think how grand it would be we could also have an opening night with the movie on big screen or somthing.

Not sure if that would be possible at all but re-building it seems probable.
Talk to whoever can give you the okay for such a project and we can provide the cash. You got my 20 bucks Afro

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »

You got my 20 bucks Afro

You got my... 20 CZK. Tongue But it's a great idea.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 02:47:51 PM »

Fine idea! I'm help pay to get that rebuilt!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 08:46:16 PM »

I think that would be an excellent idea, a great project, I am 100% behind this...only, and only if it could be done EXACTLY the same way it was. If it does not really look the same, then I would prefer to see the remains preserved as is. This is my humble opinion. And speaking about rebuilding the arch, as far as I know, Carlo Simi is still alive, he designed it. Is there any way someone can try to find him or contact him, who knows, maybe he still have the plans or something. That could be greatful, I don't know. 

Man with no dame
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 08:55:27 PM »

Asking Paramount for help would be a bad idea, as this was not initially a big moneymaker for the studio. It also recieved almost universal bad reviews in U.S. Thank God time has proved them wrong.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM