Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 02:40:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rambo (2008)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rambo (2008)  (Read 36996 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2008, 12:25:54 AM »

My only gripe is that I think the film could have been a bit longer. When the action starts in the jungle, you're so into it, it ends before you know it.

Yes, the final (only) battle was too short. This is what disappointed me the most.

The best scene in the film is the very beginning with the nasty guys playing that mine game with the villagers.
Rambo taking out the bad dudes with his bow and arrow comes in a close second.
These two scenes are worth a look. The rest of the movie (for me) was bland.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2008, 12:47:34 AM »

Yes, the final (only) battle was too short. This is what disappointed me the most.

The best scene in the film is the very beginning with the nasty guys playing that mine game with the villagers.
Rambo taking out the bad dudes with his bow and arrow comes in a close second.
These two scenes are worth a look. The rest of the movie (for me) was bland.

I see what you're saying to some extent, but I really think this is some of the best action I've seen in a particular action film in years. I've hated action movies the past 10 years or so for the most part. This was a treat to watch. It definitely felt like an old-school action film without the cheese.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2008, 03:06:18 PM »

Meet the Spartans just beat out Rambo by a hair yesterday Undecided

By ANTHONY D'ALESSANDRO
Sylvester Stallone's 'Rambo' came in close second Friday, netting $6.7 million.

In a box office smack down between Hellenic soldiers, a mercenary and a Gotham monster, Fox's new laffer "Meet the Spartans" won the top spot Friday with $6.8 million while Liongate's "Rambo" slotted second with $6.7 million - the best opening day for Sylvester Stallone.
Flexing its B.O. muscle two decades after its last chapter, "Rambo" topped Stallone's previous first day record of $6.2 million which was posted by "Rocky Balboa" in December 2006.

Playing in 2,605 theaters, the opening day for "Spartans" is in sync with Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer's previous multi-hyphenate spoofs, last year's "Epic Movie" and 2006's "Date Movie" both of which grossed $6.8 million. The three-day opening for "Epic" clocked in at $18.6 million while "Date" bowed to $19.1 million.

"Rambo," which unspooled in 2,751 theaters, will continue to spar with "Spartans" throughout Saturday and Sunday for the weekend's No. 1 slot.

Facing the onslaught of four wide entries, Martin Luther King Jr. holiday holdovers, "27 Dresses" and "Cloverfield" both took hits Friday, however "Dresses" looked a bit more attractive to auds than Par's monster.

Fox-Spyglass' "Dresses" took third with $4.2 million at 3,074 engagements, down 46% from a week ago and a current cume of $35.9 million.

In fourth, Par's "Cloverfield" dropped 76% with $4.1 million off 3,411 hardtops and a running eight-day domestic cume of $55.7 million.

Sony-Screen Gems new Diane Lane thriller "Untraceable" registered $3.7 million from 2,368 playdates for fifth place while the weekend's last wide entry, Par Vantage's "How She Move" ranked outside the day's top 10 with $1.2 million from 1,531 theaters.

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2008, 03:41:52 PM »

I saw this last night and was very dissapointed. With this, and last years Die Hard, I've come to the conclusion that nobody knows how to make a good shoot 'em up action flick anymore (not including "Shoot 'em Up" since it was more of a satire on the genre anyways). Seriously, the last great action flick I can think of was John Woo's M:I-2. Maybe it's just that they made so many of those particular type of action movies from the mid-80's to the late-90's that every way to do it successfully has been done. I was hoping this Rambo could resurrect it, but I guess not.

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2008, 04:49:55 PM »

USA Weekend Box-Office Summary
week of 25 January 2008
Rank    Title    Weekend    Gross
1       Meet the Spartans (2008)  $18.7M    $18.7M
2       Rambo (2008)                     $18.1M        $18.1M

Told ya Afro

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »

I saw this last night and was very dissapointed. With this, and last years Die Hard, I've come to the conclusion that nobody knows how to make a good shoot 'em up action flick anymore (not including "Shoot 'em Up" since it was more of a satire on the genre anyways). Seriously, the last great action flick I can think of was John Woo's M:I-2. Maybe it's just that they made so many of those particular type of action movies from the mid-80's to the late-90's that every way to do it successfully has been done. I was hoping this Rambo could resurrect it, but I guess not.

I'm completely shocked BeauButabi. SHOOT 'EM UP does not hold a candle to RAMBO in my opinion. Rambo was not just a stupid action film. This was a serious look into a known crisis in Burma. It was also a serious look into the horror's of war. I've talked to many military people since this film and they've all told me that this was one of the most reaslitic portayal's of battle sequences they have ever see put to film.

This is the best action film the past 10 years or so, easily.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »

I saw this last night and was very dissapointed.

Was it the camera man with a bad case of the shakes that turned you off?

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2008, 02:53:53 AM »

While I'm not a fan of shaky-cam, it for the most part doesn't bother me that much. It was really only in the Bourne sequels that I've ever had problems with shaky-cam.

I realise that the violence in this movie is suppose to be based more in reality to go along with all the real life problems that have been happening in Burma, I just don't think it was a well made action movie. I thought the idea of Burma being the subject was great for a new Rambo movie, and there were a few other things that I thought were interesting ideas, but overall it bored me to tears.

- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
stamper
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2008, 09:12:11 AM »

I saw this last night and was very dissapointed. With this, and last years Die Hard, I've come to the conclusion that nobody knows how to make a good shoot 'em up action flick anymore (not including "Shoot 'em Up" since it was more of a satire on the genre anyways).

I might just mean you are gettin too old.

Seriously, the last great action flick I can think of was John Woo's M:I-2.

You're definetely too old  Grin

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2008, 10:00:52 AM »

DAMN! I thought I felt my hip go out! Cheesy

- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
« previous next »