Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:57:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Django Does Not Forgive (Django non perdona)(1966)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Django Does Not Forgive (Django non perdona)(1966)  (Read 3566 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:12:45 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060690/

Can't imagine what the patrons thought when they were served this AW style spanish kolossal (the mass scenes at the end are the most impressive I ever saw in euro-western, bar maybe GBU, with tons of extras differently costumed) instead of some scrungy plot in SW style. Still the movie is likeable, with the protagonist (the half-breed of the original title) divided, like Elvis in Flaming Star, between loyalty to his mother's people (the Injuns: which tribe? The affair should be playing in Canada, as we have the red-coated mountain soldiers, though I can't understand which part of Canada resembles Almeria) and his father's (the English). So he comes back home to find her mother praying while his sister lies hung in her room (we only see her naked feet). She suicided because she has been seduced by a english officer and abandoned. Django sets to discover the culprit and have his revenge, while the tribes are in turmoil for unspecified reasons (or maybe they are but I couldn't pick them as my spanish is not very good). But this has good development, good scenes, two good looking women and the already mentioned final battle. So I give it a 6\10.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060690/

Can't imagine what the patrons thought when they were served this AW style spanish kolossal (the mass scenes at the end are the most impressive I ever saw in euro-western, bar maybe GBU, with tons of extras differently costumed) instead of some scrungy plot in SW style. Still the movie is likeable, with the protagonist (the half-breed of the original title) divided, like Elvis in Flaming Star, between loyalty to his mother's people (the Injuns: which tribe? The affair should be playing in Canada, as we have the red-coated mountain soldiers, though I can't understand which part of Canada resembles Almeria) and his father's (the English). So he comes back home to find her mother praying while his sister lies hung in her room (we only see her naked feet). She suicided because she has been seduced by a english officer and abandoned. Django sets to discover the culprit and have his revenge, while the tribes are in turmoil for unspecified reasons (or maybe they are but I couldn't pick them as my spanish is not very good). But this has good development, good scenes, two good looking women and the already mentioned final battle. So I give it a 6\10.

Titoli,

I just watched the movie and I would like to make the following comments.

1) You are right, there is a great number of extras working on this movie. If you look at the end credits, the Spanish Army is credited for their cooperation and support. Considering this movie was made during General Franco's regime, it seems that the Spanish Military contributed a lot of personnel and advice, possibly even weapons.

2) The Mounties are not very credible (if you read their lips, it is clear that they speak Spanish), and neither is the supposedly Canadian scenery. At the best, that scenery could resemble the warmer Canadian areas of British Columbia, like the Okanagan Valley, but the pine trees are clearly the type that grows in Spain (though usually not around Almeria). To make it more interesting, I could almost swear that the bagpipes you hear in the movie are neither Scottish nor Irish, but possibly from Galicia (northwest of Spain). They do have a different tone that I have learned to recognized over the years.

But I f we skip all those petty details, I think it is quite an enjoyable movie and I would not give it less than 7.5/10 (yup, you can call me the forum dissident if you wish). My reasoning is that the movie is quite entertaining from beginning to end and most actors and director are Spaniards and Latin Americans. Furthermore. it also has a good musical score. Also, the movie is (IMO) historically correct as it clearly refers to the Metis/Indian uprisings in the 1880s.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:32:57 PM by Bandolero » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM