Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2019, 11:15:54 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rio Bravo (1959)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3 ... 10
: Rio Bravo (1959)  ( 50009 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« : May 21, 2007, 01:54:45 PM »

I'm not a big fan of the movie, but there's a fantastic review of the new DVD at the HTF: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=256881

« : March 28, 2009, 11:35:47 AM dave jenkins »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #1 : May 21, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »

thanks for the link !

Although it is less than fantastic. Schickel's audio commentaries aren't worthwhile and I was hoping that Carpenter saved the day - obviousely he didn't.

The biggest dissapointment is the missing of the rare behind the scenes footage Warners have in their vaults.
It is in color and shows Wayne & Ford (visitor that day) on the set and Dino & Ricky singing between takes. All in color!

Damn it, took them almost 10 years for that SE and still the good stuff stays in the vaults.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #2 : May 21, 2007, 04:27:07 PM »

I didn't say the DVD was fantastic (I haven't seen it), only the review. It is a model of what all such should be.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #3 : May 23, 2007, 10:49:14 PM »

so you guy's think i should double dip and buy the Special Edition?

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #4 : May 24, 2007, 06:32:29 AM »

Sure.
I'm certain it'll be good. I was just dissapointed in terms of a missed opportunity. This could have been a GREAT DVD, like ROBIN HOOD...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #5 : May 24, 2007, 04:02:06 PM »

Very true. Btw, your avatar keeps cracking me up.... ;D

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #6 : May 24, 2007, 04:47:15 PM »

Beaver comparison: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews8/rio-bravo.htm

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #7 : May 25, 2007, 01:44:11 PM »

I know I'll end up double dipping. Been reading an on going feud about the colors over at thedvdforums (I don't know why I go there still as I think the classical section is a shadow of it's former self and the news tends to crop up on the HTF first) but I'll still probably get it  ;D

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #8 : March 09, 2008, 06:57:07 PM »

I actually watched this all the way through today, I've seen bits and pieces before but never a proper sitting. Howard Hawks and John Wayne's answer to High Noon. 

Cast includes John Wayne .as Sheriff John T. Chance,  Dean Martin as Dude ('Borachón') ,  Ricky Nelson as  Colorado Ryan,  Angie Dickinson as  Feathers, Walter Brennan as  Stumpy, Ward Bond as  Pat Wheeler,  John Russell as Nathan Burdette,  Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez as Carlos Robante,  Estelita Rdoriguez as Consuela Robante, and  Claude Akins as Joe Burdette.

First off its practically all town bound,  most of the outdoor locations filmed in Old Tuscon Arizona, no landscape whatsoever which is a minus in my book, and even though its an answer to High Noon it seems that High Noon has much more establishing scenery. Basically Joe Burdette taunts Dude (who is a drunkard) in a saloon drinking in front of him. He asks him if he wants a drink and throws a dollar coin into a spitoon. Chance witnesses this and kicks the spitoon away from Dude before he goes diving for the dollar. Dude grabs a piece of wood and conks Chance over the head kncking him out, then he lunges at Burdette but some of Burdettes men grab him and Burdette begins to punch Dude out. Another bystander comes to Dudes rescue and Burdette shoots him point blank and leaves the saloon.

Burdette walks down the street to his own saloon and there a little while later is confronted by Chance. Some more of Burdettes men get the drop on Chance, but Dude sneaks in and grabs a gun and hip shoots the gun out of Burdettes man's hand while Chance slams Burdette up side the head with his Winchester. Chance & Dude drag Burdette off to jail and the premise of the film is set. Joe Burdette in jail and Nathan Burdette is out to save his brother.

Never is any adequate screen time given the villians John Russel and Claude Adkins never seem all that menacing, way way too much time is spent with Chance, Dude, Stumpy, Colorado, and Feathers. Lots and lots of dialog that goes on way way too long its more of a character study that is never all that very interesting. The realtionship between Chance & Feathers seems like a serious case of cradle robbing and its not believeable for an instant.

So the answer to High Noon is Chance don't need any help he can manage with his deputies a drunk, a kid, and a cripple old man, against the outlaws.

I just don't see what is so great about this film its a bit tedious. 

« : March 10, 2008, 07:06:09 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #9 : March 09, 2008, 07:12:54 PM »

Thanks for the Beaver link, DJ. Looks like I won't be double dipping for the 3 disc SE after all. The newer disc's picture is much too dark, it almost appears that the old transfer is wearing sunglasses or something.

The hometheaterforum review is spot on, I agree with every word of it. Bravo is a great movie despite not being very good.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10 : March 09, 2008, 08:52:38 PM »

I just don't see what is so great about this film its a bit tedious. 
I agree, although it does have its moments (I especially like the bit where Dean-o wheels and shoots the wounded guy up above, tipped off by the blood that has dripped on the bar counter). But Angie Dickinson, much as I love her, should not be in this movie. Ricky Nelson should not be in this movie. And Walter Brennan should not be in this or any movie subsequent to To Have and Have Not (where he's already too obnoxious for words).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #11 : March 10, 2008, 02:13:39 AM »

I like Deano's turn as the drunken deputy, and the scene you mentioned is good also.

Walter Brennan by that time was a little grating with his goofy old man shtick, he's much better as the villian in "My Darling Clementine" or even where he sends that image up in "Support Your Local Sheriff".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #12 : March 10, 2008, 06:00:04 AM »

I loved this film as a kid, but I rewatched it a year or two ago and wasn't impressed. I still enjoy it but it's not a phenomenally great film. As CJ said, the bad guys aren't properly developed and I could do without Angie Dickinson and Ricky Nelson. Jenkins, I believe it was YOU who yelled at me when I suggested Angie Dickinson shouldn't be in the film. Now you're agreeing? :D The Duke is in top form, Dean Martin is fabulous, and I like Walter Brennan, so screw you guys. Lots of cool moments and some fun shootouts, but nothing truly spectacular.

I prefer "El Dorado" personally. Mitchum is better than Dean Martin IMO, although James Caan is more than a bit annoying. "Rio Lobo" on the other hand is an atrocious film, save for the final shootout, which ALMOST saves it.

And CJ... director was Howard Hawks, NOT Henry Hathaway. O0

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #13 : March 10, 2008, 07:20:44 AM »

I love this movie for its "atmosphere". Yes, I realize that's a cheap way of putting it but this is one of those rare films which I am actually bold enough to make that claim. I thought El Dorado was a lifeless movie, the first 25 mins are simply not needed and it feels like a cheap sequel.

I like Brennan in RB, I think he's fantastic. It's true that Nelson and Dickinson can't really hold their own, but I don't really mind all too much. Nelson is masked enough by Hawks for me not to be too bothered by his awkward, wooden delivery. Dickinson has spunk and a really nice smile. I also can't argue the lack of a strong antagonist. Again, this films excells in its atmosphere, to the point in which it negates all of its flaws imo.

« : March 10, 2008, 07:23:44 AM Tuco Harmonica »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #14 : March 10, 2008, 08:32:02 AM »

Jenkins, I believe it was YOU who yelled at me when I suggested Angie Dickinson shouldn't be in the film. Now you're agreeing? :D
I don't remember ever saying that. Give me a link and I'll own up, otherwise quit making up stuff about me. >:(

: [1] 2 3 ... 10  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines