Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 04, 2020, 11:16:14 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rio Bravo (1959)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
: Rio Bravo (1959)  ( 62148 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #60 : March 02, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »

Rio Bravo is one of my favorite movies, and is a rare breed, only the aforementioned Avanti is similar. I haven't seen anything else that's really comparable. There are already movies and westerns that fit that bill, like the unofficial RB remake: Assault on Precinct 13, which I like quite a bit.
I like AoP13 much better than Rio Bravo. Let's see, is there a love story in that? There's certainly no Ricky, and no stupid songs, so maybe that's what makes all the difference.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #61 : March 03, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »

I like AoP13 much better than Rio Bravo.
+ your OUATITW review
= and why do DJs burn?

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #62 : March 03, 2010, 11:11:12 AM »

+ your OUATITW review
= and why do DJs burn?
Because DJ is a... duck!

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #63 : March 03, 2010, 01:21:41 PM »

+ your OUATITW review
What would that review be?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #64 : March 03, 2010, 03:43:39 PM »

Check out on the OUATITW thread... Last topic by FC...

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #65 : March 05, 2010, 10:09:13 AM »

What would that review be?

Too late to deny anything.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #66 : March 05, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »

I've been raped! :o

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #67 : March 09, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »

I watched it and I have to say I'm in agreement with the old tomcats: it is a movie that is somewhat enjoyable and that you can watch, but apart from a few memorable moments (blood dripping in the glass, etc., all mentioned already) I just don't see why is this supposed to be a masterpiece. The bad guys are lame, good for nothing; the best they did was make the good guys sing around a campfire, and Walter Brennan's show is truly tedious (I had the feeling I saw it like a 1000 times before). The ending was like written for a Chuck Norris flick.

around 6.8/10

« : March 10, 2010, 08:55:48 AM Dust Devil »

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #68 : February 04, 2011, 07:48:09 AM »

Rio Bravo is my favorite American Western of all-time 10/10 O0

with a wonderful score by Tiomkin.

and o btw, the film kills High Noon, which I always believed to be very overrated

RE: the criticism of lack of landscapes/scenery:I think one of the purposes is that we should feel the claustrophobia of Chance and his deputies holed up there all paranoid; I think vast landscapes would have taken away from that

I usually hate love aspects of a movie, unless they fit really well into the movie; but I think this one fits very nicely, and Angie Dickinson is really good here. so are Dean and Ricky. The comic relief with Walter Brennan and Pedro Gonzalez-Gonzalez is very good.

« : April 22, 2011, 10:50:46 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #69 : March 11, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »

just watched Rio Bravo for the second time, and my initial feelings are indeed confirmed. This film is my favorite American Western of all time.

In Roger Ebert's review (which I linked to in the post above), he says "The film is seamless. There is not a shot that is wrong." I couldn't agree more. A wonderful film, with a great score by Tiomkin. (Repetitive, but that's how Western scores often were. There are basically only 2 melodies; the main theme and the de guello. Both are beautiful).

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #70 : March 12, 2011, 12:33:13 AM »

I've written this elsewhere but being that this is the "official" thread...

I like Rio Bravo a lot but I do prefer El Dorado.
Mainly because I prefer James Caan in the Ricky Nelson role and Robert Mitchum in the Dean Martin role.
Also, they get out of the town a little bit.

There are no songs in it either but I like My Rifle, My Pony and Me.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #71 : March 12, 2011, 12:52:15 AM »

just watched Rio Bravo for the second time, and my initial feelings are indeed confirmed. This film is my favorite American Western of all time.

In Roger Ebert's review (which I linked to in the post above), he says "The film is seamless. There is not a shot that is wrong." I couldn't agree more. A wonderful film, with a great score by Tiomkin. (Repetitive, but that's how Western scores often were. There are basically only 2 melodies; the main theme and the de guello. Both are beautiful).

It is my #2 (after THE WILD BUNCH).
I never understood people who do not like it. One feels so much at home with these characters. It could go on forever :)
That fact that it runs so long and plays so well in just one basic location (town) shows the skills of one of my favorite
Directors.
  couple of my lobby cards :

« : March 12, 2011, 12:57:31 AM mike siegel »

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #72 : March 12, 2011, 06:13:04 PM »

I've written this elsewhere but being that this is the "official" thread...

I like Rio Bravo a lot but I do prefer El Dorado.
Mainly because I prefer James Caan in the Ricky Nelson role and Robert Mitchum in the Dean Martin role.
Also, they get out of the town a little bit.

There are no songs in it either but I like My Rifle, My Pony and Me.

El Dorado annoyed me cuz of how much of a  direct ripoff it was of Rio Bravo. (True, Rio Lobo also had some of the same plot elements, but not as blatantly). So while El Dorado may have been good in its own right, I honestly never gave it a chance cuz it just pissed me off how badly it was ripped off. Considering how great a director Howard Hawks was, I don't think he needed to recycle material like that.

I think Nelson and Martin were just terrific

Also, as I've said before, I think the reason they showed no scenery outside the town (aside from during the credits) is probably to emphasize the claustrophobia Chance and his deputies were felling; big scenery shots would have given the film a more expansive, breathable feeling which was not appropriate here. Though I agree that maybe some scenery would have indeed been nice at the very beginning, (and I'm not sure why it wasn't included....)

« : March 13, 2011, 01:14:33 AM drinkanddestroy »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #73 : March 12, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »

I prefer El Dorado, too. Despite being blatantly derivative of the earlier film, the plot holds together much better than in Rio Bravo and aren't too many bits that insult my intelligence. Mitchum and Deano are a wash, but Caan is preferable to Nelson and Christopher George is a much better bad guy than either of the schlubs in Rio. Plus very few romantic scenes which is a big plus.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #74 : March 13, 2011, 01:01:26 AM »

And arguably Michele Carey is hotter than Angie Dickinson...

What say you?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines