Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 02:09:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Johnny Yuma (1966)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Johnny Yuma (1966)  (Read 8897 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2007, 02:23:22 AM »

Following review extracted from Leone Admirer's  SW Virgins Guide:-

"Johnny dont go! Johnny stay here!"

Man this was an enjoyable film! My first non Leone Spaghetti ever and I really enjoyed it. It was similar in many ways to our great directors work but differed enough so it was enjoyable in its own right. The plot revolved around the title character Johnny Yuma (Mark Damon), whose aunt, Samantha (Rosalba Neri) murders his uncle when she discovers that Johnny is to inherit their ranch on his death not her. She sends out Carradine (Lawrence Dobkin) a shootist and her former lover to kill Johnny but instead after Johnny saves his life they both team up to face the odds.
       The film plays like a very enjoyable comic book, the often static camera almost becomes the seperate panels of a comic book, until the camera moves in a variety of interesting ways (the 360 degree movement of the camera highlighting a poker game/ the desert is a good example) that feels like the panels are joined together. Whilst the film is no comedy, it moves from light heartedness and action with ease which director Romolo Guerrieri uses very well, over the top extreme violence is balanced with enhanced (but not comic) noises which makes one feel that the word Pow! Should appear on the screen at some point. The only funny element I took issue with was a perverted parrot which seemed a little too Roger Moore Bond era to me.
     The opening of the film hooked me from the start. The film has no credits (as I have not seen the film before I don't know whether this is down to the print released by the DVD producer, Wild East, or if its always been like that.) Immediatly three dangerous looking men appear out of the desert (presumably Almeria) and demand a horse paying a woefully inadequate amout for it. A stranger appears and agree but asks them in side his Mexican quarters to thrash out the idea. He identifies/insults one of the men who has an eye patch by calling him Hawkeye, seemingly angrying the man.  Unsure, the three men enter cautiously and find the man has dissapeared. Suddenly the coin Hawkeye had offered the stranger roles towards him out of a partly open door. The three men enter and see the stranger standing at the other end, they fire but all they hit is a mirror, the door they have entered in closes and the stranger guns them down. After he finishes he sits dow, begins to eat some beans before getting up again to have sex with a prostitute. We then cut to the title sequence and through the song and the titles, we find out the stranger is Johnny Yuma.
      This enigmatic opening was enjoyable and was unexpected, its fun yet cold outlook on the life of a gunfighter was a good ploy and one that works well though out the film.
      As noted before there is very little camera movement. That coupled with some very sloppy editing (As well as times ravages of time on the print which produced droped frames and audio drop outs) makes the film seem kind of amatuerish. Granted the 1.85:1 is not the most spectacular ratio to do justice to a western, it serves its purpose here, emphasising the comic book effect. The music was great and I've been humming it all day at the editing studio. Acting was generally very good, and although some of the dubbing was  bad it was generally of an average quality and didn't detract that much from the enjoyment of the film. Dobkin and Damon play very good anti heroes, most likely on purpose echoing the interacting of Manco and Col. Mortimers interaction in FFDM. There was a mexican sidekick who was more of a, umm (I hate this phrase but I'll use it anyway) 'goody' version of Tucco for TGTBTU. The villainess' portrayal by Neri was excellent, she seemed particularly evil and was a very noir esque femme fatale.
        The DVD presentation was very good, with an average looking picture and good original mono sound. The picture and sound sometimes changed in quality (and for the audio, to German) which meant a sequence had been restored that was originally missing in the English language print. The German audio is subtitled in English. The missing footage is mainly when a child is beaten up, presumambly removed by censors or by the studios fearing it would be too much for the audiences of the day. Also included on the disc was an exhaustive picture gallery, four Mark Damon trailers and an alternate title sequence. (Note this disc is called Wild Easts Big Double Feature Excitement!!! from their Spaghetti Western Collection. It contains two films on one disc with some liner notes, which must not be read before a first viewing of film as they tell entire plot. The two films are Johnny Yuma and Between God, The Devil and A Winchester, the latter being  reviewed tomorrow.)
     In conclusion I can't recomend enough Johnny Yuma to Spaghetti fans and virgins a like. It lived up to expectations and is a very enjoyable spaghetti. Well done to Wild East  for bringing it out on DVD.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/yuma.htm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061846/

I agree with most reviewers (only exception being the one at SWdb, who says that the movie
has no narrative ambitions and the shooting and the killing has no meaning
) that this is a very entertaining movie, with a very good narrative rhythm. I would like to stress some aspects. The scene where poor Vannucchi (he died a suicide 12 years later) kills by kicks the very fragile looking boy is one of the most frightening I ever saw in a movie. Also Vannucchi is one of the best badmen I ever saw in a western: he has around him an aura of meannes which is strange considering that he was known in Italy for another kind of characters. Also, I must say that Rosalba Neri is one of the sexiest women I ever saw in movies, though not being particularly pretty.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:31:51 AM »

This is a truly outstanding gothic sw which i'm going to revisit as soon as i can. Afro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 10:03:39 AM »

Well, I'm not sure I get what you mean by gothic, but the brother and sister are one of the most frightening pair ever seen in western. I wonder why a likely incest theme wasn't even lightly hinted at.

What do you think of Damon's sleeveless jacket? To me it was disturbing all the time, he looks like a sardinian shepherd. Even Vannucchi's dress was too cowboy and less dandy than it would have fit.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 02:24:41 PM »

The stunts are well ahead of those found in OUTW.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:18:58 PM »

Well, I'm not sure I get what you mean by gothic, but the brother and sister are one of the most frightening pair ever seen in western.
I haven't watched this in many moons but i was mainly refering to the scary sister(maybe the best western femme fatale) and certain scenes,the atmosphere,possibly the music which i can't remember at all.Obviously i'm in dire need of seeing this again!

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 04:33:04 PM »

I really enjoyed this one too. I think FC said the violence played against the tone of the movie but I didn't find a problem with it. If it was a TRINITY style movie then those scenes would be well out of place.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 05:42:10 PM »

And FC's version from the Diamond Entertainment 13 sw box set is missing the most violent one minute scene where the kid gets stamped on but even then i don't think it affected the tone.

Johnny Yuma's joking sidekick is probably the weakest link but he doesn't bother me particularly and does offer a bit of light relief.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 12:21:50 PM »

I love the name of the title. I'll have to pick this one up.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 04:33:36 PM »

I love the name of the title.

Yeah!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 12:28:03 AM »

I really enjoyed this one too. I think FC said the violence played against the tone of the movie but I didn't find a problem with it. If it was a TRINITY style movie then those scenes would be well out of place.

I don't believe I said this.

I just thought the film was overhyped by many members here and elsewhere on the internet.
It's certainly a good SW though.
The last big gunfight at the mexican pueblo is excellent stuff!
I didn't like the comedic elements like the peeping tom parrot and that obnoxious mexican side kick.
Main theme is great!

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 06:08:40 AM »

I didn't like the comedic elements like the peeping tom parrot
That cheeky parrot amused me in that scene. Smiley

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »

I don't believe I said this.

I just thought the film was overhyped by many members here and elsewhere on the internet.
It's certainly a good SW though.
The last big gunfight at the mexican pueblo is excellent stuff!
I didn't like the comedic elements like the peeping tom parrot and that obnoxious mexican side kick.
Main theme is great!

Yes, you did say that in your review from a while back.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 03:55:43 PM »

Yes, you did say that in your review from a while back.

I remember saying it was  very brutal flick but very talky.

I think you have my review of "W Django" confused with my opinion of this.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 05:49:34 PM »

You guys know that "Johnny Yuma" was a good 50's Western TV show starring Nick Adams, a pretty cool character, part of his armament was a sawed off shot gun

http://www.womenwritersblock.com/ourfavwest7.htm

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 09:18:48 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM