Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:50:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Find A Place To Die(1968)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Find A Place To Die(1968)  (Read 5002 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2007, 05:59:38 AM »

Firecracker's Crappiest sw's review:-

"Find a Place to Die"

Lisa and her husband own a gold mine. Bandits led by the sadistic(now I dont remember his name and I dont want to pop in my dvd at the moment to find out. so for the sake of remaining lazy, I will call the bandit leader "Sandy") Sandy want the gold  mine for themselves and start to  fire upon the married couple. Lisa's husband gets wounded in the gunfight and tells lisa that she must go find help while he tries to ward off the bandits. She gets on horse back and rides to the nearest town by the name of "eagle's nest". There she finds a "down and out" gunfighter Joe Collins(jeffrey hunter) who agrees to help her out after hearing her situation.

This is where the movie starts to fall apart. Joe gathers around a posse which consist of a gigolo, a shady mexican and two Gay couples...

...let me take a moment to say that they are never pointed out as "gay couples" but the movie sure tries to shove that image in youre face about them. One of the "couples" is a very large mexican man(you have seen him in other spaghettis) and the other is a short white man. The two are constantly talking about how worried they are for eachother. This is followed by argueing like a married couple.

moving on...

...Along the way Lisa and Joe's posse meet a fake preacher and he joins the gang.

from the scenes when they join the posse to when they finally reach there destination are incredibly slow and boring, nothing happens. They just ride around a bit for a good 10 minutes.
When they reach the gold  mine they find Lisa's husband dead, she sheds a few tears for him and then he is  forgotten(guess she didnt care for him much). It all ends in a big unflashy gunfight with the bandits. the results are all of Joe's posse are killed and he gets to fall in love with lisa and vice versa. how touching.

Joe Collins(Jeffrey Hunter): Brings nothing new to the strong silent type anti-heroes of the spaghetti westerns. In fact he looks rather bored in his role.

Lisa(Pascale Petit): The actress has an exotic look to her that makes her strangly sexy. But thats all she really is...she doesnt capitalize on her looks or even tries to make her character interesting. she just hangs there. she is more of a prop than an actress. There is an interesting scene where she takes a bath in a river nude. unfortunatly the film only teases us with her nude body by keeping the camera far away from her, and we see nothing.

The film is not a total loss. and it certainly isnt complete crap.
But it isnt worth buying on its own. only buy this if it comes in a cheap boxed set with other spaghetti western(or westerns in general).

the biggest dissapointment wasnt the movie, it was the fact that one of the best of the genre's directors was at the helm...Giuliano Carmineo. Known for directing all the Sartana sequels and "They Call him Cemetary" among others.

This is by far HIS weakest spaghetti that I have seen.

CRAP METER:5

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE:5

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 06:03:25 AM by Banjo » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 01:51:02 PM »

Hijacking all of my old reviews eh?

I hated this one. Doesn't even feel like a Carnimeo movie.
"THE MOMENT TO KILL" and this film were released in the same year so it's hard to say which SW was Carnimeo's first.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »

I have a strong feeling that nondescript FIND A PLACE TO DIE was Carmineo's first with MOMENT TO KILL setting the blueprint for his later stuff.

MOMENT TO KILL seems like a halfway house in style between FAPTD and the Sartana's/Hallelujahs that followed.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 05:19:49 PM »

MOMENT TO KILL seems like a halfway house in style between FAPTD and the Sartana's/Hallelujahs that followed.

Agreed. However the style is much more subdued. Not a lot of handheld work for those quirky angles. Everything seemed to have remained on the tri-pod.
While THE MOMENT TO KILL is not Carnimeo's best movie it is certainly his best directed.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:21:10 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 05:22:54 PM »

While THE MOMENT TO KILL is not Carnimeo's best movie it is certainly his best directed.
Undecided

OK I'll re-examine that comment when i see the widescreen dvd. Wink

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 01:43:14 AM »

Revised review for...

"Find a Place to Die"
(Ironically that is exactly what this movie needs to do).

Lisa and her husband (In some prints her "brother") own a gold mine. Greedy bandits want the gold  mine for themselves and start to fire upon the married couple. Lisa's husband gets wounded in the gunfight and tells lisa that she must go find help while he tries to ward off the bandits. She gets on horse back and rides to the nearest town by the name of "eagle's nest". There she finds a "down and out" gunfighter Joe Collins(jeffrey hunter) who agrees to help her out after hearing her situation.
Joe gathers around a posse which consist of a gigolo, a shady mexican and two Gay couples...

...Along the way back to save her husband (Piero Lulli in a rare good guy role) Lisa and Joe's posse meet a fake preacher and he joins the gang.

from the scenes when they join the posse to when they finally reach their destination are incredibly slow and boring, nothing happens. They just ride around a bit for a good 10 minutes.
When they reach the gold  mine they find Lisa's husband dead, she sheds a few tears for him and then he is  forgotten(guess she didnt care for him much). It all ends in a big unflashy gunfight with the bandits. The results are all of Joe's posse are killed and Liza and Joe ride off into the sunset to the nearest haystack.

Jeffrey Hunter Brings nothing new to the strong silent type anti-heroes of the spaghetti westerns. In fact he looks rather bored in his role.

Pascale Petit, as Liza, is anything but petit(e). A shame the director only teases us with her nudity.

The film is not a total loss. and it certainly isnt complete crap.
But it isnt worth buying on its own. only buy this if it comes in a cheap boxed set with other spaghetti western(or westerns in general).

the biggest dissapointment wasn't the movie, it was the fact that one of the best of the genre's directors was at the helm...Giuliano Carmineo. Known mostly for directing all of the Sartana sequels including the George Hilton outing.

This is by far his weakest spaghetti. Even more so than his last two Hilton westerns which are very hard to sit through but at least you can feel Carnimeo directed them.

This was released the same year as his "The moment to Kill" (find this! It's good!) but I'm not sure which came out first.
If this was made/released first then this is marked as his first foray into the genre that would make him famous.

CRAP METER:5

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE:5

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:44:32 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »

I subscribe to Firecracker's review. Only I did miss the second gay couple apart from the one with Pazzafini.

Pascale Petit was one of the sex symbols of late '60's and here it shows clearly why, though not in the measure I'd prefer. Giordano shows her tits, though she is too puffy-faced compared to other late performances.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 05:06:56 PM »

Its not very good I agree with all the previous comments. Looks like it was shot in Italy 100%, but at least the director didn't show too much greenery. I think the big Mexican is Nello Pazzafini.

Let me just add that its pretty much a remake of 1954's  "Garden of Evil" which I for one didn't think all that much of either, at least we are spared the ridiculous Eastern US Mohawk style hair styled natives who are supposed to be Apaches in Hathaway's original flick.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM