Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:43:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Death Sentence(1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death Sentence(1967)  (Read 4634 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2007, 06:30:38 AM »

A long overdue topic to be kicked off with Firecrackers  Obscure SW's review:-

review for "death sentence"

ya know once you get past the 100th movie mark in the spaghetti western genre...things start to get a little crappy. pretty much every other film is a tremendous piece of crap and everything else is just average.
how ever..."Death Sentence" is made of finer stuff.

The story is a standard revenge tale. A Gunslinger named Django (  ) witnesses his brother being killed by four baddies. Naturally Django is gets angry and sets out for revenge against the four nasty men. what is so good about the film is the staging and the plotting. The is set up in four different acts (or episodes). each episode is different from the other and Django dispatches of his foes in ways that are suitable to their own characters.
The first nasty Django takes care of was greedy for land...so Django chases him all across the desert with no water or food. In the next act the baddie is a gambler...so a game of cards is inevitable, however the stakes are a matter of life or death. The third act Django faces a deranged Preacher who executes "sinners" with his own revolver.

And the final villian Django must face is probably one of the most memorable villians you will ever run across during your spaghetti veiwings. He is an albino insane for gold and blonde woman. who else to play this dastardly and terminally weird character other than cuban actor Tomas Milain!
Though Tomas overacts as this character (especially during a very disturbing seizure scene) that is part of the fun! Despite the rather silly white wig he has on the character is really creepy, almost like a vampire. in fact their are times when I think Milian is channeling Max Shrek as Count Orlock from "Nosferatu".

The film becomes increasingly like a horror film as it moves through it's four acts.
by the third act you have a preacher that seems to be into satanic like rituals and then in the fourth act the final scene takes place in a ruined church that is said to be "cursed" (as mentioned by one of the villians lackies).

the music itself has a very spooky feel to it.
however the main theme is very campy and fun.

This is not one to be missed! certainly we are talking top 30 material here!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 06:47:24 AM »

We are indeed talking top 30 material here. Afro

Silenzio's review:-

Death Sentence

Wow. Was this the best non-Leone spaghetti western I've ever seen? It just could be. I was blown away by this spaghetti western last night. I watched it essentially back-to-back with Death Rides a Horse, stopping inbetween only to eat dinner, and i can tell you for sure, this is the better spaghetti western. It makes it into my top 5 (maybe even 3). In fact, it's a contender for my new all-time favorite.

It's a similar plot to Death Rides a Horse: some dude wants revenge on four guys, and most of them hold well-established positions of authority. The first being a land-owner, the second being a card shark, the third being a preacher (damndest preacher ya ever did saw) and the fourth being.... Tomas Milian. The film focuses not so much on the lead character, Cash (or Django in the German dub), played by Robin Clarke, who looks the part superbly (the director describes him as "a devil with an angel face"). Also notable is that the lead character is an avid milk drinker. The first three chapters are awesome, well directed, damn near flawless. It's the fourth chapter that is keeping me from unhesitatingly call this the greatest non-Leone spaghetti western ever made. And if one chapter is poor, well, that makes 25% of the film poor. But, I'm not calling this last chapter bad, just bizarre (and not really in a good way). Basically, we get Tomas "Honey-Glazed" Milian playing some epileptic Albino with a fetish (and I mean FETISH) for Gold coins and blonde girls (because her hair reminds him of the gold). Think like Tuco's obsession for gold.... times a thousand. This chapter doesn't seem to hold up to the others... too bad. I won't say that this chapter makes or breaks the movie yet, though, I'll for after repeat viewings.

The main vocal theme song is really good, and the rest of the score I really dig. It's more low-key than your usual Spaghetti music, and it gives the film a more unique look (not like it wasn't unique enough already).

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 01:33:30 PM »

I felt the need to shout this from the rooftops after just listening to the theme song again.

EVERYBODY INTERESTED IN SPAGHETTI WESTERNS NEEDS TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!

It's not top 30 material, it's top 3 material for non-Leones.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:48:15 PM »

It's not top 30 material, it's top 3 material for non-Leones.

Is that so..? What would be the other two?

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:33:42 PM »

The Great Silence of course and possible My Name is Nobody?

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:44:04 PM »

The Great Silence and Face to Face.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 10:21:29 PM »

The Great Silence and Face to Face.

This movie blows those two out of the water.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Whalestoe
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 04:38:40 AM »

This movie blows those two out of the water.

I need a region-free DVD player. I want to see this.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM