Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 05:04:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  DVD question
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DVD question  (Read 6773 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 04:24:10 PM »

Yup!

Kick-ass!

hanshotfirst1138
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 10:05:08 AM »

The word at the moment is Yes.

If so then good; I'm just hoping that someone who gets their hands on the discs can say for certain  Wink!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 06:12:48 PM »

This is what DVDSavant has to say about the soundtrack on the new DYS disc:

MGM's restored Duck You Sucker is based on Claver Salizzato's 1995 restoration of the Italian premiere version, which originally had a stereophonic track. The handsome transfer includes all known 'missing sections' of the film. A later French release excised the film's controversial final flashback entirely. It's the one scene that distinguishes this version from the 1997 MGM/Image Laserdisc that caused a great deal of excitement by upping the film's running time from 138 to 154 minutes. Salizzato's original stereo tracks could not be used because they had been mixed for the Italian language only. The 5.1 stereo heard here is another electronic reprocessing job; alternate tracks are provided in English, Spanish and French Mono. I've heard some alarms on the web that music cues in the film have been altered, but John Kirk says that he had no issues with the music and changed nothing. The web reports say that the music in the crucial 'entering the pub' flashback is different. I had no VHS source to check, but I did pull out both the 1990 and 1997 Image Laserdiscs to compare them with the new version. The music for that scene is the same on all of them. The confusion may be that the original soundtracks begin the music cue a bar or two earlier, with the series of heavier low notes.

This doesn't quite answer my concern about the soundtrack, as I'm still not certain what the "correct" English-language dub should contain. For example, on the LD referenced above (which I think was actually released in '96), Mallory clearly says "Short fuse" when saving Juan from the firing squad. On the subsequent DVDs (both R1 and R2) he says "Duck, you sucker." I have no idea which is "right," but the fact that there is a difference that remains unexplained troubles me.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 05:17:27 PM »

The version shown every now and again by the BBC contains "short fuse" which i assume to be the most effective and therefore correct  line of script.

hanshotfirst1138
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »

Still controversy.  Damn your eyes, MGM!  What's this I hear about problems with DYS?   Missing scenes?  Incorrect cues?

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM