Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:42:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pirates of the carribean 3 :at world's end
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pirates of the carribean 3 :at world's end  (Read 10288 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2007, 01:19:52 PM »

Saw this last night.
A vast improvement from the second installment but still not as fun as the first.
Has the least action of the three I would say. Only two major action set peices jump in my mind, an early sword fight in a Signapore bath house and the Maelstrom sequence that is the film's climax.
The swordfights still suffer from having virtually no choreograpghy (something that plagued the second film) but the boat battles are a visual treat.
Depp as Sparrow has lost all of his charm but he still manages to be the best thing of the movie. Keith Richards, as Depp's father, was not needed.

My main problem with this series is the amount of fantasy elements in it. The fantasy elements in the first were suddle. The skeleton crew was creepy and added something a swashbuckler hadn't seen before. The next installments went for broke on everything ridiculous and turned the series into a high seas Lord Of The Rings.

Spaghetti western enthusiast will find great pleasure in a scene that mocks a western showdown (complete with electric guitar that apes Morricone's "Man with a Harmonica"). In fact the plot, with all of it's constant (And I do mean CONSTANT) backstabbings and betrayals , reminded me of a Carnimeo western.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 01:35:18 PM »

Thanks for that Firecracker. I will be seeing it this weekend.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 04:27:22 PM »

I haven't even seen the first one...

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 04:37:44 PM »

I won't pay for seeing that. I think I'll wait until someone buys it and I can borrow from him. Usually I prefer watching movies in theater but the part 2 was so bad that I don't want to waste my money. I rather buy Pan's Labyrinth or The Fountain and go watch Zodiac.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 08:08:52 PM »

Spaghetti western enthusiast will find great pleasure in a scene that mocks a western showdown (complete with electric guitar that apes Morricone's "Man with a Harmonica").
I noticed that too! I was giggling my ass off in my seat and my sister was just looking at me thinking WTF? Cheesy

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 09:25:21 PM »

Just got back from seeing it after a long day's excursion with my friends. I'm dead tired right now, so I'll be brief and expand tomorrow.

I thought the movie was easily the best of three - it was especially refreshing given how borderline-terrible "Dead Man's Chest" was. Sure, it was too long, some plots/characters were superfluous, and if I really put my mind to it, I could be very critical of the movie. But sometimes you just have to leave your brain at the door. I'd give it an 8/10 - and now I've got "Becket" and "A Doll's House" (with Claire Bloom and Anthony Hopkins) in the pipeline for this weekend.  Cool

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 12:43:11 AM »

Davy Jones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfYDnXMRmUs

get it? heh...

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 05:51:01 AM »

Also, there was the use of matching "musical pocket watches" for Davy Jones and Tia Dalma - including a scene where one left stopped and the other continued. Anyone else notice this? Thought it was pretty cool. . .  Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 01:07:36 PM »

Also, there was the use of matching "musical pocket watches" for Davy Jones and Tia Dalma - including a scene where one left stopped and the other continued. Anyone else notice this? Thought it was pretty cool. . .  Afro

well spotted  Afro

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 01:09:12 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 02:28:28 PM »

Keith Richards, not needed!? Angry

Excuse me, Firecracker, is that really necessary!? Angry

Keith Richards is ALWAYS needed Angry

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 04:34:54 PM »

Spaghetti western enthusiast will find great pleasure in a scene that mocks a western showdown (complete with electric guitar that apes Morricone's "Man with a Harmonica").
Yeah, I think they've watched their Leones. I saw a making-of documentary of the part 2 and the screenwriters said that the three-way sword fight was inspired by the final standout in GBU. Though, I think they missed the whole idea of the standout: a quick burst of action after long waiting. I guess they thought "Hey lets make it even better. It's the same thing if we have a long swordfight and then a quick burst of waiting, right?" Huh

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 04:43:06 PM »

Yeah, I think they've watched their Leones. I saw a making-of documentary of the part 2 and the screenwriters said that the three-way sword fight was inspired by the final standout in GBU.

I remember thinking this as well 10 months ago while watching the second entry (what an awful film).
The build up to the sword fight was great but the sword fight itself was terrible. Just looked like kids clanging away at toy swords.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 09:37:56 PM »

I've been dragged to see all of these movies.  I don't understand any of them.  They just seem silly and convoluted.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 06:00:00 AM »

I've been dragged to see all of these movies.  I don't understand any of them.  They just seem silly and convoluted.

They are - that's the beauty of them?  Afro

Well, it's the beauty of the first and third one. It's the ugly of the second one.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »

They are - that's the beauty of them?  Afro

Well, it's the beauty of the first and third one. It's the ugly of the second one.

I didn't have a problem understanding the first. I can see why folks wouldn't understand the last two sequels though.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM