Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 10:34:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gentleman Killer (Gentleman Jo....Uccidi)(1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gentleman Killer (Gentleman Jo....Uccidi)(1967)  (Read 4060 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2007, 07:34:05 AM »

I only watched the Wildeast disc once but its an excellent sw.

Arizona Colts review:-

GENTLEMAN KILLER-While I'm not a fan of Anthony Steffen, this is a solid oater with some nice action scenes and a decent story that appears to be partially recycled from FISTFUL OF DOLLARS. Unexpected ending though helps make this recommended.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 03:30:53 AM »

I wish I found it as excellent as you Banjo but I couldn't call this more than just another average Steffen film.
Good spots but ultimatly dull for it's lack of creativity.
The much talked about surprise ending is good but I couldn't help but feel cheated that the hero doesn't even get to kill the villain.

Their are better Steffen/Fajardo vehicles like...
ARRIVA SABATA
APOCALYPSE JOE
COFFIN FOR THE SHERIFF

Nicolai's score was pretty nice though, I'll admit that!

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 10:27:56 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063008/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/gentleman.htm

This is a must if only because it has a Nicolai score "supervised" (?) and conducted by the Maestro himself. But it is not a memorable score, though I would like to he a recording.
At italian db they have a raving review for the movie. I think it is justified only for the first part of the movie. After the shooting in the mountain the plot starts dragging too much. Still it is worth a 6, maybe 7\10, even  because it is Steffen's best performance I saw. Impeccable. Even Fajardo's is memorable. The costumes are very well picked. The plot has a border town about to be incorporated in Mexico being terrorized by a mexican gang led by Fajardo who supersedes illegally the american authorities represented by a U.S. Army official who happens to be Steffen's brother. Steffens fights the gang and when he is about to be executed...
As said, in the second half the movie drags a bit, even some plot twist (like the fact that Fajardo never gets rid of Steffen's when he is given repeatedly the chance) irritate in their scarce credibility.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:36:33 PM »

This is a must if only because it has a Nicolai score "supervised" (?) and conducted by the Maestro himself. But it is not a memorable score, though I would like to he a recording.
At italian db they have a raving review for the movie. I think it is justified only for the first part of the movie. After the shooting in the mountain the plot starts dragging too much.

In total agreement. Too much sneaking around town after that and the torture sequence where they over drink Steffen is laughable.

The ending is unexpected but a bit of a disappointment wouldn't you say?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »

The ending is unexpected but a bit of a disappointment wouldn't you say?

I had guessed it. Which only adds to the bore.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 10:48:44 AM »

This may be an average Steffen SW; but to me, Fajardo's role is the best he ever played in any SW. The musical score is also great, and clearly inspired in Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. Knowing of Morricone's adaptation of classics into his SWs soundtracks (Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries in My name is Nobody, and Beethoven's Für Elise in both A genius, two partners and a dupe and The Big Gundown), I am wondering if Morricone did actually more than just "supervising" the musical score. It is known that at least one SWs soundtrack credited to Nicolai (Run Man Run) is actually Morricone's.

7 out of 10.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 03:48:34 PM »

Can't believe that you guys like this one. I lost interest after about 20 min, and the rest was more or less boring.

Talking about Steffen/Stiffen, for this film Anthony earned his money by simply switching to the zero acting modus.

Just enough for this routine actioner which mostly stumbles along without any ideas.
Some shitty action scenes are even done with fast motion, the most miserable solution to get some dynamics in scenes which are boring anyway.

Si, Fajardo got the best moments of the picture, but mostly restricting himself to only showing his pearly-whites is not enough to add this to the galery of his memorable baddie performances.

3/10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM