Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 11:39:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  His Name Was King aka Lo chiamavano King (1971)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: His Name Was King aka Lo chiamavano King (1971)  (Read 4688 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2007, 08:25:56 AM »

Here's Arizona Colts review to this sw which i found forgettable too:-

Although I enjoy Richard Harrisons bad performances for the wrong reasons, he is pretty decent here which says little but he does come through in the action scenes. Kinski is around in another villainous turn. Harrison plays a bounty hunter whose newly married brother is killed and his wife raped so King goes after the men responsible. Kinski plays the sheriff(!) who is Kings "friend".  The problem with the movie is that the first 10-15 minutes are surprisingly well made but after that it begins to crumble for every one thing it does right it does two things wrong. There are many scenes of people riding with the camera hundreds of feet away that seem to go on forever. I did fall asleep several times but the movie only lasted 73 minutes so something has to be missing(I guess). Kinski delivers perhaps his worst performance as he seems to be in compettion with Harrison to see who can deliver the most wooden role. He doesn't do much of anything. The friend that did manage to watch the whole thing said he only killed one person adn Kinski never leaves the town!
However, the the action scenes are well staged and are filmed differently compared to other spags utilizing fast editing to give the shootouts more punch. The score is arguably the best thing about the movie from Luis Bacalov who also uses several cues from some of his other westerns like DJANGO and BULLET FOR THE GENERAL. What the film does right makes it good for at least one viewing.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 03:52:53 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067354/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/king.htm

Apparently I'm the only one around who liked it. Yes, there are inconsistencies in the plot which I only half-followed. But who cares when you have rhythm, good visuals, good main actors and an above average score?

The visuals. I don't know how much of them was the result of pure chance, still there are some sequences like the one of the army column entering into the town whose sepia colored tones let them resemble old Civil War images in movement. But there's generally a good sensibility for the landscape which eschews the impression of "already seen" Almeria. What I don't like are the minor characters that just don't fit in the blue uniforms or even the mexican clothes. But it is a minor complaint.
I would really like to know who "Anna Pushkin" was (italian, almost certainly". And I also have the suspect that those three rape scenes were fit to be completed with much more explicit material (which would explain the 73' lenght).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:14:20 PM »

But who cares when you have rhythm, good visuals, good main actors and an above average score?

Well i can't remember too much about this apart from wanting it to end ASAP but like everything else i'll be giving it a second chance in due course.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 04:23:51 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067354/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/king.htm

Apparently I'm the only one around who liked it. Yes, there are inconsistencies in the plot which I only half-followed. But who cares when you have rhythm, good visuals, good main actors and an above average score?

The visuals. I don't know how much of them was the result of pure chance, still there are some sequences like the one of the army column entering into the town whose sepia colored tones let them resemble old Civil War images in movement. But there's generally a good sensibility for the landscape which eschews the impression of "already seen" Almeria. What I don't like are the minor characters that just don't fit in the blue uniforms or even the mexican clothes. But it is a minor complaint.
I would really like to know who "Anna Pushkin" was (italian, almost certainly". And I also have the suspect that those three rape scenes were fit to be completed with much more explicit material (which would explain the 73' lenght).

I don't understand this at all. The MACGREGOR movies are crap and this isn't? Shocked What good actors? Harrison? I will say this about Harrison. The Fusto's he did, his performances were very good compared to what he did in the westerns, war, martial arts movies. The Shaw Brothers got pretty decent performances out of him for BOXER REBELLION and to a lesser extent, MARCO POLO. The only thing this movie had going for it was the score (what part of it that was original anyway) and the tight editing during the action scenes, IMO. An awful movie all around and Kinski is obviously not enjoying himself at all. Look at his death scene....he appears to have been shot with a tranquilizer dart! Speaking of tranquilizer darts, that pretty much sums up HArrison's westerns. If you want a good Harrison performance check out GLADIATORS 7 or even the kid friendly PERSEUS THE INVINCIBLE aka MEDUSA VS THE SON OF HERCULES.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »

The point of all these reviews is to give as many opinions as possible, the more varied the better. I don't want to persuade anybody. I may be wrong but what I wrote is what I think.
Anyway I like very much the scene where Kinski works on the clock with the knife while the girl is being raped.
You don't like Harrison? Well, there are people who like Anthony Steffen, so what? I think he has a good screen presence and surely he acts better than Steffen.

If you want a good Harrison performance check out GLADIATORS 7 or even the kid friendly PERSEUS THE INVINCIBLE aka MEDUSA VS THE SON OF HERCULES.

No, I don't want a "good" Harrison performance, I'm satisfied with his westerns. And I doubt I will ever feel an urge to watch the stuff you kindly proposed, for which I thank you anyhow.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 05:34:59 PM »

Harrison ACTS in his peplums. He does not ACT in his westerns. I never said I did not like Harrison. From interviews he seems a very nice, jovial and down to earth man. I do not like his westerns. I think the hero should at least look like he is awake to make the movie interesting. HIS NAME IS KING is not interesting nor is it enjoyable at least not to me but I'm glad you liked it. Somebody has too I guess so there can be a differing opinion as you put it.

Steffen isn't much better but he's miles away better than Harrison.

And if you do not want a "good" Harrison performance then I strongly recommend you stay away from the titles I proposed....but then I proposed nothing, I merely stated.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:15:03 PM »

In complete agreement with AC on this one.
Seems that there is a long riding sequence after every scene.
One shot of Harrison riding is even ripped directly from Vengeance.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »

I fell asleep while watching this one. I tried again to watch the end of it and I thought it was dull.

3 out of 10.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM