Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 11:46:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dio perdona... Io no! aka God Forgives... I Don't! (1967)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dio perdona... Io no! aka God Forgives... I Don't! (1967)  (Read 16241 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 05:54:14 AM »

I finally managed to see that decent print of GOD FORGIVES I DON'T and  its a definite improvement.

However any pacing problems  in ACE HIGH are nothing compared to the overall slowness of Colizzi's first film.Its  the much grittier and more violent western and the opening scenes and shoot out finale is the best i've seen from Colizzi.But almost everything else in between whether its Spencer manfully struggling with a casket on his back,extended card games or torture scenes,its all way too much too drawn out ,in some cases to ludicrous proportions.Also as much as i enjoyed Frank Wolff as the gabber mouthed San Antonio evens his ramblings well outstay their welcome in places.

Both myself and the missus feel that ACE HIGH is easily the better movie.It has a much greater scope all round and most tellingly the humour(Wallach pretty much makes this essential)  and i'm sure that Enzo Barboni (director of the Trinity movies)would've seen the comedic potential of Hill and Spencer from this movie rather than its predecessor.

Having quibbled about the slightly boring feel of GOD FORGIVES I DON'T i still enjoyed it but would only really recommend it to Bud 'n' Terence fans because without them i wouldn't enjoy it nearly half as much.

My rating for GOD FORGIVES I DON'T 6 out of 10.  Afro

and  for ACE HIGH  8 out of 10.  Afro Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 08:17:29 PM »

Finally managed to see this through to the end, it stayed entertaining enough, some nice different scenic shots, the voice actors for the dubbing weren't great but it was ok, though it a bit better than Ace High.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 10:27:30 PM »

Finally managed to see this through to the end, it stayed entertaining enough, some nice different scenic shots, the voice actors for the dubbing weren't great but it was ok, though it a bit better than Ace High.

In total agreement here. I thought it was also better than ACE HIGH. Easily the best of the three, IMO.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 03:38:56 AM »

I'm reposting my "review" from Rate The Last Movie You Saw:

God Forgives... I Don't - 4.5/5

The half point down is mainly for the unineteresting, even confusing main theme... I really don't know why they chose such music as main theme. It completely destroys the feel.

Apart from that it was really great. Smiley I wouldn't rebuke anything. Sometimes it was a bit "unreal", but that belongs to SW's. People who like gunfights might find it a bit boring, but it had a good plot, long flashbacks and everything. And though in the course of the film there were moments when I though the plot got knotted and made no sense, later on it was always unravelled and made perfect sense. Great!
Terence Hill made a perfect gunman in the Clint Eastwood/Franco Nero style, there were moments where I thought he looked and behaved exactly like Nero's Django - but his character also had his own personality.

(I read some comments on CSFD and it seems some people think otherwise. Nonetheless, I liked it. Except for the music!!! Tongue)

I'm adding that I have a widescreen version. Italian and Czech dub; I watched it in Italian because ever since I saw FOD's Czech dub I've been preferring subtitled films. Roll Eyes

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 02:39:06 PM »

(I read some comments on CSFD and it seems some people think otherwise. Nonetheless, I liked it. Except for the music!!! Tongue)

Yeah it seems to split people's opinions down the middle.
To me it's the best of Colizzi's so-so trilogy and one of the best in the entire genre.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »

Terence Hill made a perfect gunman in the Clint Eastwood/Franco Nero style, there were moments where I thought he looked and behaved exactly like Nero's Django - but his character also had his own personality.

Funny thing:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062151/

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 03:42:35 AM »

Yes, I've already heard about that one...

Yeah it seems to split people's opinions down the middle.

It seems to me most of the people complaining about it were expecting something else, probably because of the Hill/Spencer duo. Because I already knew it was nothing of that kind, there was nothing to disappoint me.
Some people were also complaining about "overlong poker and riding-through-a-landscape scenes". I, personally, really enjoyed those.

And I liked how the well really came to an use. When I saw the well there, I thought how stupid it would be if it was there only as a decoration. But it wasn't. Smiley

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 03:54:43 AM »

As for VIVA DJANGO, Hill was cast because Baldi couldn't get Nero a second time (after TEXAS ADDIO, a year earlier)
and he thought that Hill, who was a cast member in an earlier Baldi - film, looked a lot like Nero. He dressed him in Neros wardrobe and the producers were convinced to go with Hill.

Around the same time he got the part for GOD FORGIVES...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 06:06:17 AM »

Finally I can add this one to the short list of SWs I've seen (thanks to CJ and FC).

It was entertaining, eventhough the plot had a few holes. I enjoyed the (very gay) villain very much but his scenes seemed to drag on too long. I pretty much agree with Banjo about the pacing problems. The score wasn't annoying at first but towards the end it turned out to be; pretty good still.

I'll give this 6/10.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 11:16:28 AM »

eventhough the plot had a few holes

I didn't see them. Undecided

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 11:23:02 AM »

I didn't see them. Undecided
It's a hole. You can't see 'em. That's why they call them holes.

A crappy joke.

Maybe not exactly holes but implausibilities. Like, they think a dead man is alive because of the way a train was robbed Roll Eyes

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »

It's a Hill-Spencer flick after all, MS. What were you expecting?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 06:40:09 PM »

Maybe not exactly holes but implausibilities. Like, they think a dead man is alive because of the way a train was robbed Roll Eyes

No. They know (or at least believe) he's alive because one of the passengers survived the robbery and lived long enough to tell Spencer that it was the "dead man" that did it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 08:04:10 AM »

No. They know (or at least believe) he's alive because one of the passengers survived the robbery and lived long enough to tell Spencer that it was the "dead man" that did it.
True. What the fuck was I thinking? I'm turning into a Thomas Weisser Embarrassed

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 12:37:34 AM »

It's a hole. You can't see 'em. That's why they call them holes.

A crappy joke.

Not that bad, but it doesn't work that way. Grin You see them because what isn't a hole is all around them, you know? It's like, let's say, you notice the first flower of spring because all around it it is still winter.
Or, like it happened yesterday, you notice it's snowing because a moment ago it wasn't. Roll Eyes
End of philosophy.

Anyway, you're right that, without the last survivor happening to be there, this would be a serious matter. Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM