Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:31:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Thesis of Once Upon a Time in The West
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Could you help me?
e-mail   -2 (100%)
Total Voters: 2

Author Topic: Thesis of Once Upon a Time in The West  (Read 5207 times)
gleyson
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2003, 09:31:06 PM »

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 10h September 2003  

Dear Friends,

My name is Gleyson Spadetti. I am a Cinema student from Brazil. Im about to start my final thesis: a semiotic  study about the making of  Sergio Leones Once Upon a Time in the West.
Ive tried very much to find something written about this subject in Brazil, but it is very difficult, almost impossible. I Know that you are a very busy person, but please, give me a hand.
Id like to have, I need,  informations about the creation process and the artistc approach/choices of the cinematography, screenplay, the editing, the actors, set design from Mr. Leone and the technicians such as Mr. Tonino Delli Colli and Mr. Nino Baragli. Interview, article, thesis, etc.
Id like to have the   e-mail adress of Mr. Sergio Donati , Tonino Delli Colli,  Nino Baragli, Christopher Frayling and Andrea Leone.  
Coud you please send me something, Sir?

Thank you very much for your attention.

I look foward to hearing from you.

Yours  faithfully,

Gleyson Spadetti

P.S.:

Please, send your answer for these adresses :

gspadetti@hotmail.com      

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 04:01:03 AM »

Wow,a thesis on OUATITW!Impressive!

The problem here for you might be that most of the stuff about Leone is written on English - a language you may have some difficulties with.

However,the best starting points are,I think,Christopher Frayling's books "Something to do with death" and "Spaghetti westerns".I hope you manage to get find some relevant info for your thesis.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 02:30:12 PM »

Try also the Bonus on the DVD, there is some very interesting information.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 02:30:58 PM »

Shame that on the DVD's bonus they didn't interview Quentin Tarantino.

That would be interesting.

Austin
Bandido

You brought two too many.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 06:46:00 AM »

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 10h September 2003  

Dear Friends,

My name is Gleyson Spadetti. I am a Cinema student from Brazil. Im about to start my final thesis: a semiotic  study about the making of  Sergio Leones Once Upon a Time in the West.
Ive tried very much to find something written about this subject in Brazil, but it is very difficult, almost impossible. I Know that you are a very busy person, but please, give me a hand.
Id like to have, I need,  informations about the creation process and the artistc approach/choices of the cinematography, screenplay, the editing, the actors, set design from Mr. Leone and the technicians such as Mr. Tonino Delli Colli and Mr. Nino Baragli. Interview, article, thesis, etc.
Id like to have the   e-mail adress of Mr. Sergio Donati , Tonino Delli Colli,  Nino Baragli, Christopher Frayling and Andrea Leone.  
Coud you please send me something, Sir?

Thank you very much for your attention.

I look foward to hearing from you.

Yours  faithfully,

Gleyson Spadetti

P.S.:

Please, send your answer for these adresses :

gspadetti@hotmail.com      

I wrote my Masters thesis on Leone a couple of years back, and am now researching my PhD on representations of history and the dynamics of myth in Spaghetti Westerns........

the literature out there is plentiful, and chiefly in Italian and English (though there are some titles in French and Spanish). If you can get hold of the two Frayling books they are invaluable mines of information and trivia. For some theoretically weighty analysis also try Robert C Cumbow's 'Once Upon a Time: the films of Sergio Leone' and Oreste Di Fornari's 'Sergio Leone: the Great Italian Dream of Legendary America'. Laurence Staig and Tony Williams's 'Italian Western: The Opera of Violence' is also worth a look. As for getting hold of these books, I'm fortunate enough to hold a British Library pass and this was needed for some of them. Hope this helps.

I know that Frayling is a professor at the Royal College of Art, so maybe try their website foer his email address - profs often put this info up for students to contact them.

The Americans have only rented (America) temporarily. If they don't behave well, if the mythical level is lowered... then we can always evict them.
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 01:57:06 PM »

Try to get the book of prof. Frayling on Amazon.com.

You should have no problem with the transport.

I have already sent sone books and DVD to South America via Amazon.com without any problem.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 03:29:39 PM »

I remember that I wrote a review of "A Fistful of Dynamite" for a seventh grade Reading project.  Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 04:30:50 AM »

I wrote my Masters thesis on Leone a couple of years back, and am now researching my PhD on representations of history and the dynamics of myth in Spaghetti Westerns........

Wow,a PhD on Leone!Can I get a copy when it's finished?  Roll Eyes

Was your master's thesis on the same subject that your PhD?Do you know if there are any other PhD's (or masters thesis) on Leone?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 06:02:08 AM by Jupa » Logged
Austin
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 09:09:41 AM »

My masters thesis was about how Leone elevated the Western into Homeric ritual - not a new theory really. Many thanks to Frayling's books for helping me there  Grin

My phd is in its early stages, but i'm broadening my scope to the Spaghetti Western genre as a whole and focussing more on the Marxism/Fanonism inherent in its interpretation of both history and received myths. The biggest stumbling block is that so many of the films have been deleted from vhs and i'm a skint student who can't afford to buy them from amazon. Grrr Angry

Oh there was one MA thesis written on Leone at Kansas Uni in the 70's but i'm having difficulties getting hold of it, even though i work in a university library!

The Americans have only rented (America) temporarily. If they don't behave well, if the mythical level is lowered... then we can always evict them.
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 03:10:44 AM »

Very interesting,very interesting indeed.It would be nice to read your MA thesis.

Do you mean that you don't have the films on video?You could record them when a TV station shows them,or buy them as VHS or DVD.I think they're now available in both formats (with the possible exception of Fistful of Dynamite).

What was the name of the 70's MA thesis?I could try to look for it with my university library's search program.

Austin
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 05:17:07 AM »

I've got all the Leone films on DVD or video - there's no problem there......It's the other Spaghettis I'm struggling to find. They are available but cost a fair bit online. Ho hum - I suppose i'll have to save up Shocked

The only other MA thesis I know of was written in 1978 by a chap called B.A.Shaffer at the University of Kansas. It was simply called 'The Films of Sergio Leone' (pah - my title was much classier - 'Sergio Leone and the Western Myth: Reading the Ritual'  Grin) Anyway I've been trying to get hold of it through my library but they can't find it - would make an interesting read.

As far as making my thesis accessible, it's too big to post or email (15,000 words), so I'm looking into getting a website together and putting it on there. Only trouble is I'm a bit thick with getting things on the internet (like, I've never managed it!). I can design web pages no probs, but uploading... Huh Huh Huh

« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 06:08:08 AM by Austin » Logged

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 06:10:07 AM »

Oh yes,the other spaghettis.So you want to have some non-Leone spaghettis too in your Phd?

You're right,your title is way better.  Smiley I'll try to look that other thesis up via my library computer.

I'm not a html-wizard either,but Geocities,for instance,might have an easy upload system.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM