Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 03:28:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Secret Agent AKA Danger Man
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Secret Agent AKA Danger Man  (Read 7692 times)
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2007, 11:42:56 PM »

Anyone familiar with this old 60's british spy series? Known as Danger Man when it first aired in 1960, it was cancelled after 39 half hour episodes. With the popularity of the Bond movies, it was brought back in 1964 but was changed to an hour long show and had a title change to Secret Agent for the US, lasting another 47 episodes. I bought the megaset DVD collection and have been watching an episode a day. Right now I'm a few episodes into the hour long episodes. It's a really great show.

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
Man with no dame
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 05:16:38 AM »

Isn't this the show they got that cool song from......Secret Agent Man, secret agent man....?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 06:02:54 AM »

No. But  it had a brilliant title instrumental song which allowed me to name this series which was aired in Italy in 1968 and no more since then I recorded recently from TV a feature made up of two (in colour) episodes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060605/

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 06:05:01 AM by titoli » Logged

Man with no dame
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 06:08:29 AM »

I liked U.N.C.L.E. & Smart. Leo G. Carrol was great as Uncle boss. Green Hornet was good one, too. Show didn't last long tho.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 06:09:51 AM by Man with no dame » Logged
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 06:27:22 AM »

get Smart has been aired in local tv's in Italy for the last 20 years almost uninterruptedly. U.N.C.L.E. too, though with less frequence.   

Man with no dame
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:43:43 PM »

get Smart has been aired in local tv's in Italy for the last 20 years almost uninterruptedly. U.N.C.L.E. too, though with less frequence.   
  God, Uncle hasn't been on in the States in a long time, unless it's on some cable station. Don't watch cable.

Eric
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 10:31:57 AM »

Isn't this the show they got that cool song from......Secret Agent Man, secret agent man....?

Only in America. In Britain, it had the theme that Titoli talks about...called "High Wire" I believe.

This show sort of segues into The Prisoner, which is great.

--Eric

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 02:13:07 PM »

I never saw this show but I LOVE McGoohan's later work, The Prisoner.

That's my favorite tv show.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 04:39:14 PM »

I like both, I think The Prisoner was a take off of Secret Agent/Danger Man.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 07:56:17 PM »

While THE PRISONER certainly had it's origins in DANGER MAN, the two shows were seperate programmes. All they shared was a "secret agent" theme, scripts and concepts devised by George Markstein, and Paddy McGoohan as the main character (as well as sundry behind the camera crew members). In DANGER MAN he is called John Drake, in THE PRISONER he has no name.

A "dry run" of THE PRISONER did appear in a DANGER MAN episode, where Drake is kidnapped and taken to a village for spys, (sorry, I can't remember the episode title) based on Inverlair Lodge in Scotland, a special camp operated by the Special Operations Executive (SOE), and nicknamed "The Cooler". Outwardly, part of the Inter Service Research Bureau (ISRB), which developed SOE's weapons and tools, this designation was actually a cover for its real use as an internment or detention camp for agents that could not be let loose in in public. They were not prisoners as such, but individuals who had failed or dropped out of training for a secret operation, and could not be allowed to return to public life while they information they had in their heads was still classified as secret. George Markstein, who worked on both McGoohan shows wrote a novel about this secret staion called THE COOLER, and he worked this material into his now more famous television fictions.

However, McGoohan's ego was rather rampant by now, and he became bored with DANGER MAN, hence the big budget show THE PRISONER was commissioned. Shot on colour 35mm stock at a time when almost nobody in the UK could afford a colour telly. He and McGoohan had a massive fall out (no pun intended) over the direction the plots and themes THE PRISONER would take, and the two never spoke again. Markstein went to his grave extremely dismissive of both shows, in the now bafflingly snobbish way so many writers of his generation did about television, but in truth this may have been due to the fact that THE PRISONER remains the better remembered and more critically acclaimed of the projects he worked on.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 02:55:43 PM »

What I like about The Prisoner is that you can look at it on so many levels.

It's a very intelligent show and requires you to really pay attention, but it's also very entertaining. The trippy/psychedellic atmosphere of the show blends with classical music, landscapes, and clothing ( I remember that some prisoners wore top hats with tuxedos ).

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 04:51:11 PM »

I remember that some prisoners wore top hats with tuxedos

Top hats were regular feature, especially with Number Forty Eight played by Alex Kanner in the final episode.

He also played "The Kid" in the Western episode, LIVING IN HARMONY.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 06:26:06 PM »

A "dry run" of THE PRISONER did appear in a DANGER MAN episode, where Drake is kidnapped and taken to a village for spys, (sorry, I can't remember the episode title) based on Inverlair Lodge in Scotland, a special camp operated by the Special Operations Executive (SOE), and nicknamed "The Cooler". Outwardly, part of the Inter Service Research Bureau (ISRB), which developed SOE's weapons and tools, this designation was actually a cover for its real use as an internment or detention camp for agents that could not be let loose in in public. They were not prisoners as such, but individuals who had failed or dropped out of training for a secret operation, and could not be allowed to return to public life while they information they had in their heads was still classified as secret. George Markstein, who worked on both McGoohan shows wrote a novel about this secret staion called THE COOLER, and he worked this material into his now more famous television fictions.
I didn't know this, and I used to be a big fan of The Prisoner. These days I don't have much time for the series, although I'm still fond of the 7 core episodes plus Living In Harmony (excluded from the original US run). I can still get myself laughing out loud whenever I recall the use of "All You Need is Love" in the final episode, "Fall Out."

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »

Yes that was the way the show premiered here, it had that "kidnapping" as the intro to the Prisoner.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 06:26:03 AM »

I didn't know this

Found it. The DANGER MAN episode was called COLONY THREE:

http://www.tv.com/danger-man/colony-three/episode/134966/summary.html?tag=ep_list;ep_title;2

I was surprised to see that it wasn't written by Markstein however. On a further Prisoneresque note, going back to the sceret Inverlair Lodge, another one of it's WWII codenames was.... No.6 Special Workshop School.

Some further info on the Lodge here:

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/InverlairLodge

(Marksein also played the inpassive character McGoohan thunderously resigned to in the opening credits of every Prisoner episode (bar FALL OUT)).

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:29:55 AM by Juan Miranda » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM