Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:01:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  If you can remember the first time you watched this....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you can remember the first time you watched this....  (Read 3456 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2007, 01:32:37 PM »

Who were you rooting for to get the gold?

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Man with no dame
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

Actually, I was rooting for Van Cleef. Since Eastwood wasn't coming back to do any more Leone's, killing him off wouldn't have mattered. Plus it would have given closure on the series. And it would have been a nice twist ending. Or a cannon could have misfired, off in the distance, and blew all 3 of them up!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:30:26 PM »

Or a cannon could have misfired, off in the distance, and blew all 3 of them up!
This would have violated one of the unwritten rules of the film. Notice how the Civil War intrudes into the lives of our principal characters from time to time. A wayward canon shell arrives just when Blondie needs to escape from Tuco. A group of soldiers take Blondie and Tuco into custody so that they can be "reunited" with Angel Eyes. More canon fire obscures the streets of Ft. Smith, AK, providing cover for Blondie and Tuco as they go up against Angel Eye's gang. And so on. The war intrudes, alters the destinies of the 3 men, but it can never take their lives! Only they themselves can kill each other; they are like ancient heroes, even gods.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Man with no dame
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 03:49:02 PM »

Alright, then the cannon fire goes off, an explosion in the circle, and all 3 have disappeared. A little ambiguous, but it would have worked. Would have left the door open for another sequel.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 03:59:30 PM »

Plus it would have given closure on the series.

The events of FOD and FAFDM take place after the events of GBU.

Man with no dame
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »

The events of FOD and FAFDM take place after the events of GBU.
I,ve always had misgivings about the linear movement of the trilogy. I don't think they're in a particular order, but individual stories tied together by one character. Otherwise Volonte and Van Cleef would have been the same characters in both their respective movies. I really meant by my previous statement, leaving the door open for any of the returning actors.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 05:24:45 PM »

Actually, I was rooting for Van Cleef. Since Eastwood wasn't coming back to do any more Leone's, killing him off wouldn't have mattered. Plus it would have given closure on the series. And it would have been a nice twist ending. Or a cannon could have misfired, off in the distance, and blew all 3 of them up!
I was led to believe that GBU was actually a prequel to FOD and FAFDM in that he was this happy go lucky character shooting down criminals to reclaim bounties for a living but the brutality of the Civil War changed him into the more cynical character we see in both  FOD AND FAFDM.Tellingly Eastwood doesn't pick up the poncho until the finale of GBU which would back up this argument.

Man with no dame
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 06:31:19 PM »

I was led to believe that GBU was actually a prequel to FOD and FAFDM in that he was this happy go lucky character shooting down criminals to reclaim bounties for a living but the brutality of the Civil War changed him into the more cynical character we see in both  FOD AND FAFDM.Tellingly Eastwood doesn't pick up the poncho until the finale of GBU which would back up this argument.
  In FOD, MWNN was a hired gun(basically a drifter) sporadically called Joe, in FAFDM he was a bounty hunter, seemingly on the side of the law(although you don't really know if he kept that bank money at the end) called Manco, in GBU he posed as a bounty hunter at the beginning, but he was all crook. That's why Leone probably satiracly titled it GBU, because MWNN was the best of the worst. I think the 3 films are Leone's seperate takes on the same character. When you think about it, all 3 characters in GBU are the MWNN  in different guises. As far as picking up the poncho, he probably did that because he hadn't worn it thru-out the film, probably put in to help audiences identify the character. You have to remember that there was a pretty good span of time between the release of the first two films and the third. 

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 07:50:36 PM »

You make good points MWND but I still say The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly takes place before FFOD and FAFDM.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Man with no dame
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »

I never rochambeau this late at night Grin Grin Grin!
You make good points MWND but I still say The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly takes place before FFOD and FAFDM.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 08:59:23 PM »

I still say The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly takes place before FFOD and FAFDM.
In fact, the three stories occur on three different Earths. It's a parallel universe thing: on the GBU Earth, TMWNN is called Blondie, on the FOD Earth he's called Joe, on the FAFDM Earth he's known as Monco. The essence of the person is the same in all three cases, but the different life experiences of the three avatars has produced three different personalities, three different histories. The same can be said of the LVC character: on GBU Earth, he turned to the dark side, on FAFDM Earth he avenged his sister's murder, on FOD Earth he never left Carolina.

Man with no dame
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 09:30:03 PM »

You haven't been over in off-topics smoking something with those Lord of the Rings guys, have you Dave? Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:31:12 PM by Man with no dame » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 09:49:28 PM »

Does Jimson weed count?

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 10:15:28 PM »

This would have violated one of the unwritten rules of the film. Notice how the Civil War intrudes into the lives of our principal characters from time to time. A wayward canon shell arrives just when Blondie needs to escape from Tuco. A group of soldiers take Blondie and Tuco into custody so that they can be "reunited" with Angel Eyes. More canon fire obscures the streets of Ft. Smith, AK, providing cover for Blondie and Tuco as they go up against Angel Eye's gang. And so on. The war intrudes, alters the destinies of the 3 men, but it can never take their lives! Only they themselves can kill each other; they are like ancient heroes, even gods.

I do like your take on the "intrusions" of the Civil War.  It does appear to make the three characters above it all.  Particularly when you think about the bridge sequence.  The Union officer feels the futility of the war.  His inability to do what he thinks would be right.  Blondie and Tuco are able, and have the power to do what he longs to do.  The war seems for some to control their fate and lives to an even greater degree than our three protagonists.  Although they get redirected and turned around, they always seem to emerge unscathed.  This seems to be contrasted to the soldiers lying wounded in the forts, or spiritually broken in the prison.

I wouldn't change anything about GBU.  The thing I really liked most of all was the relationship between Blondie and Tuco.  So no doubt I was hoping that they both would get their share of the gold.  I guess I would of enjoyed more scenes of Blondie and Tuco together before the showdown in another movie.....but I would leave well enough alone.  No sequel.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 11:10:03 PM »

Great post Noodles!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM