Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2018, 06:39:54 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Re-watching the movie
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3 ... 5
: Re-watching the movie  ( 25347 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : May 30, 2007, 05:24:32 AM »

I can now understand (though not agrre with) how many (especially in Italy) prefer to this to the other two of the trilogy. The movie is a perfect action western with no frills. Not a supernumerary sequence, absolutely functional dialogues, brilliant direction. I keep not gulping the cemetery battle, but the rhythm is not hindranced by this and other minor (the ones involving Marisol's family) episodes.  Even in the less successful sequences you can see that there are elements which render them interesting (for example the blue-tinted photography of the whole cemetery sequence).
Take the first shootout: I can't think of another director outside of Leone who can set it up so perfectly (I have some minor doubt about the close-up of the hand of one of the Baxter's sidekicks going towards the pistol): the dialogue, the angles, the rhythm. The miracle is he could so much with so little. And you can't but admire it.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #1 : May 30, 2007, 08:28:32 AM »

I feel very similar about it. :) Especially the last shootout is awesome for the fact it was low-budget film. But the whole is very good, and I like watching it again and again.
Even the opening is very good, when I think about it.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Man with no dame

« #2 : June 01, 2007, 07:48:18 PM »

Small budgets create large imaginations. This one has always been my favorite of the three. Leone's phrasing was never as terse as it was here. All the classic Leone trademarks, without all the bells and whistles found in his later work. Some of the images in this film rival the works of Bergman or Lewton, just a nice undertone of sardonic humor. Morricone was at his best here, also (even tho I hear he denies this) and offers one of the few SW scores you can listen to without wincing at least once. Sometimes, I wish this one would have been less successful, so the next two would have stayed in the same vein.

Tuco the ugly

« #3 : June 02, 2007, 08:36:24 AM »

I was telling to a friend of mine (after we saw the movie together) that this movie is a low-budget one.He didn't believe me;he said that a low budget can't be that good,and with that kind of music.And it was pretty funny,because he isn't a western fan at all,yes he saw GBU a few times,but other than that nothing from Leone.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

« #4 : June 02, 2007, 10:58:09 AM »

I watched A Fistful Of Dollars last month.  I may of seen parts of it on television quite awhile ago, so it was like a first viewing.  I had seen comments on the board, various web sites and in print that the production was low budget.  My expectations were somewhat lowered by all this.  When I watched the film, I was quite impressed.  For one thing, Leone's visual style and framing, elevate any production regardless of its budget.  The only things that I noticed were that he used less locations ( I guess a lot of the sets were recycled), and possibly he filmed a little more at night than the other films.  The night shots I thought were quite stunning.  Really, Yojimbo was a lean production from Kurosawa.  I think it was quite shrewd for Leone to choose Fistful with limited resources as his first western production.   

« : June 02, 2007, 11:00:33 AM Noodles_SlowStir »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #5 : June 02, 2007, 01:32:02 PM »

He didn't believe me;he said that a low budget can't be that good,and with that kind of music.And it was pretty funny,because he isn't a western fan at all,yes he saw GBU a few times,but other than that nothing from Leone.

If he saw GBU he should be able to tell the difference.

Tuco the ugly

« #6 : June 02, 2007, 05:15:51 PM »

If he saw GBU he should be able to tell the difference.

Well,I don't now,he couldn't.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #7 : July 11, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »

I feel very similar about it. :) Especially the last shootout is awesome for the fact it was low-budget film. But the whole is very good, and I like watching it again and again.
Even the opening is very good, when I think about it.

I agree with you marmota. The opening is brilliant! You get hooked right away just watching the credit sequece. It's so damn cool.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
KevinJCBJK

« #8 : July 11, 2007, 11:32:37 PM »

"Get three coffins ready"

"My mistake, four coffins"

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #9 : July 11, 2007, 11:52:33 PM »

"Get three coffins ready"

"My mistake, four coffins"

This is one scene that definitely surpassed its Yojimbo equivalent.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #10 : July 12, 2007, 08:03:57 AM »

This is one scene that definitely surpassed its Yojimbo equivalent.

I think I agree with you Silenzio. This scene is awesome.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #11 : July 12, 2007, 08:25:58 AM »

I think I agree with you Silenzio. This scene is awesome.

Amazing, in fact.  The best scene in the film, I'd say.

KevinJCBJK

« #12 : July 12, 2007, 09:12:07 AM »

My dad walked in the room when Clint said "Get three coffins ready" and laughed and long after I was done watching the movie he was still laughing. He said "Clint Eastwood is so cool."

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #13 : July 12, 2007, 09:27:09 AM »

My dad walked in the room when Clint said "Get three coffins ready" and laughed and long after I was done watching the movie he was still laughing. He said "Clint Eastwood is so cool."

Your dad is cool for thinking Clint Eastwood is cool. My father is the same way. Huge fan of Clint.

KevinJCBJK

« #14 : July 12, 2007, 09:30:24 AM »

Yeah he grew up during the 60's so he was exposed to alot of westerns with Clint and John Wayne. My grandfather actually reminds us of John Wayne. He seems to like Clint Eastwood too, he took me to see his film Blood Work once.

: [1] 2 3 ... 5  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines