Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 11:24:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What's the greatest Western by decade?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the greatest Western by decade?  (Read 12021 times)
Man with no dame
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 06:06:30 AM »

Greatest westerns by decade is a bit restrictive,what about by year?
'68-'69 will really create some inner turmoil. Cry

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 06:11:19 AM »

'68-'69 will really create some inner turmoil. Cry
How about by month then? Grin

Man with no dame
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 06:41:08 AM »

How about by month then? Grin
  You really want us to do our homework, don't you? Grin

Man with no dame
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 07:22:58 AM »

I really like HEAVEN'S GATE, the longer the version the better. Walken is incredible in it, and it's worth watching just for the roller skating dance scene alone. It's true that at it's heart Kristofferson is bloody awful (as in John Hurt) but it's easily the only Western of that decade which still retains anything of interest.
"Gate" is one of the reasons so few Westerns are made, now! It's bloated budget nearly destroyed the studio, and made oater scripts harder to push thru the front office. Not that it isn't a good movie, but was it worth the long-term damage? I think not.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 08:52:04 AM »

You can't do it by year because the Western died out in certain years, especially now.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 09:41:08 AM »

I think you'd be surprised TB as the USA isn't the only place where westerns come out of!

Man with no dame
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 09:56:58 AM »

I think you'd be surprised TB as the USA isn't the only place where westerns come out of!
  The trouble is, us Yanks don't get to see any of them unless we travel abroad. The import to export ratio is abyssmal.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 10:17:58 AM »

Well i know for sure that some USA members are managing to get hold of such rare films from various sources.Anyway it doesn't really matter if you have a blank for the odd year here and there. Smiley

Man with no dame
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 10:41:51 AM »

DVD manufacturers have been resisting the Pal conversion for years. Even if we get foreign flicks, we can't watch 'em.
Well i know for sure that some USA members are managing to get hold of such rare films from various sources.Anyway it doesn't really matter if you have a blank for the odd year here and there. Smiley

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 10:49:16 AM »

DVD manufacturers have been resisting the Pal conversion for years. Even if we get foreign flicks, we can't watch 'em.
Other than when PAL discs have an encoded Region 2 "block" to American players(i can play NTSC discs without a Region 1 block on my PAL player),i understand that  PAL discs can be played on an NTSC player,so no conversion is needed.

Man with no dame
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 10:55:19 AM »

Other than when PAL discs have an encoded Region 2 "block" to American players(i can play NTSC discs without a Region 1 block on my PAL player),i understand that  PAL discs can be played on an NTSC player,so no conversion is needed.

Those players are in limited supply in most chain outlets. You really have to hunt for them. The salesmen purposely downplay their existence. I know, I asked one of them.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 12:35:07 PM »

"Gate" is one of the reasons so few Westerns are made, now!

I doubt this very much. There were very few Westerns being made in the latter half of the 1970's, as the genre was seen as old hat and played out by then. That has remained the case ever since, the very odd success here and there notwithstanding. I suspect there are just as many Westerns now as there would have been even without HEAVEN'S GATE.

Man with no dame
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »

I doubt this very much. There were very few Westerns being made in the latter half of the 1970's, as the genre was seen as old hat and played out by then. That has remained the case ever since, the very odd success here and there notwithstanding. I suspect there are just as many Westerns now as there would have been even without HEAVEN'S GATE.
  There were more made in the late 70's than have been made in the last 20 some years post-Gate. Western production reached it's acme in the 60's, so you cannot hold the 70's up to that standard(or any other decade). And this with competition from gangster, crime and sci-fi genres.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 05:01:41 PM »

There were more made in the late 70's than have been made in the last 20 some years post-Gate.

Pfff. Utter bollocks. There were only 3 Westerns made in Hollywood post 1975 (and not one in that year) in that decade. For this decade alone the IMDB lists some 20 pictures.

Man with no dame
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »

The Last Hard Men, The Shootist, The Outlaw Josie Wales and oops, The Missouri Breaks, that's 4 for starters. You shouldn't rely so heavily on the Wiki. It's a flawed source of info. Tongue

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM