Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:14:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Man With Harmonica help?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man With Harmonica help?  (Read 5173 times)
MikeB72
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2003, 04:57:46 PM »

Hi,
   Newbie here to this board but not to the works of Leone and Morricone. The only film I haven't seen yet is  OUATITW because I am waiting for the new DVD. Anyway, I need some help with the song"Man With The Harmonica". I am looking for a version I heard of it with wind sound effects playing in the intro. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Did it play in the movie like this? Is it commercially available? Thanks for reading.

KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 02:23:14 AM »

try www.barnesandnoble.com/music

type in ennio morricone's name

click WUATINW{RCA}

scroll down to "man with a harmonica"

$9.48  for ennio's original score.

CD available for  $19.49.     good luck

« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 02:29:02 AM by KERMIT » Logged
MikeB72
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 10:48:47 AM »

Thanks for the link to the sample. Unfortunately it doesn't play enough of the song to tell if that's the version I'm looking for. The sample ends before the harmonica even plays. The wind sounds I mentioned are heard as the solo harmonica begins in the song. However the version I have currently's intro was nothing like this one you linked me too, but I still want to be positive which CD has the "sound effects" version before I buy it. Maybe someone who has the soundtrack could help. I really appreciate any help.

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 07:05:43 PM »

wind blown intro sounds like the gunfight finale version-if it is, it's not on official cd

KERMIT
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 10:28:01 PM »

someone posted the the original GB&U theme was much more brilliant thant the CD a while back.

visitor, best sums things up. it may not be an official.

the wind could be on one of the tracks that come with  WUATITW'S film score 30 years ago. while re-mastering a CD  the engineer may have thought  the CD listener wouldn't compute the wind sounded and simply faded that track out  the original master much like the two versions of the GB&U theme. perhaps they wanted less brilliance due to today's quality home speakers vs. filmtrack's original speakers found in long forgoten giant theaters that like the gunfighter have faded away. the wind's sound, being from the film
may have caused the certian instruments in the engineer's mind to "clutter" this passage.

that's olny one scenerio so don't take me @ my word.
keep lucking & hoping,
that's half the fun amigo   Wink

« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 10:53:32 PM by KERMIT » Logged
MikeB72
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 11:16:14 AM »

Thanks for the help. By any chance does someone have the original LP for sale? I think that is a very good theory about it being taken out for the CD release. The version I heard was in '89 and the CD soundtrack was released in '90 according to Amazon.

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 04:30:56 PM »

Thanks for the help. By any chance does someone have the original LP for sale? I think that is a very good theory about it being taken out for the CD release. The version I heard was in '89 and the CD soundtrack was released in '90 according to Amazon.

Take my word for it...I have (or had) three lp versions(USA< CANADIAN< GERMAN) of score, plus original cd release & expanded cd release. It's not on any version I've heard.
What you heard was probably a dub taken from a video copy of the film. I've done the same myself.

Rent the vid and watch the finale gunfight.

In case I haven't convinced you, you can find copies of original lp on the cheap on ebay.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2003, 09:14:48 AM »

I can check the cassette tape I made from the original soundtrack LP about 27 years ago (I played the LP once or twice, to record it).  I had to special-order the LP of course, and funny thing, it wasn't even listed in the huge 10-inch wide book under albums at all, but mistakenly in the pop singles section, then it was easy to order once I got the listing number.  A few years ago I bought the european CD which has about twice the number of tracks, well worth it.  Agree that music such as Frank's men approaching dead McBains and zooming in on Timmy, as well as final gunfight, are different than in the film.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2003, 09:15:33 AM »

Sorry, should have stated that the LP was U.S. LP.

SimonChapman
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 02:19:29 AM »

Hi,
   Newbie here to this board but not to the works of Leone and Morricone. The only film I haven't seen yet is  OUATITW because I am waiting for the new DVD. Anyway, I need some help with the song"Man With The Harmonica". I am looking for a version I heard of it with wind sound effects playing in the intro. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Did it play in the movie like this? Is it commercially available? Thanks for reading.

I think you may be referring to a version by Fields of the Nephilim. It is the opening track on their Dawnrazor album; an album completely inspired by OUATITW - including imagery and lots of samples.

You can check this at amazon.co.uk - search for "nephilim dawnrazor" and choose the CD version. It is referred to as Intro, so click on that.

BTW: I'm new to this site. It's pretty cool.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM