Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 09:45:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  SHANGO aka LA PISTOLA INFALLIBILE
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SHANGO aka LA PISTOLA INFALLIBILE  (Read 3922 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2007, 01:56:56 PM »

SHANGO- 1970

Anthony Steffen, Eduardo Fajardo

A Confederate Major is after a cache of Union gold to get the war started back again. Only a prisoner of war, Shango (Steffen) knows where it is located. A Mexican bandit gang is also after the money and the Major and the Bandit leader form an uneasy alliance to get the loot. Shango turns up missing and the villains take over a small Mexican village until they hand over Shango.

I had heard that this was a good movie but after watching it, IMO, that is not the case. There seems to be a problem in the dubbing or the script changed midway through. Initially, the Major was using Shango to get the money. Then later, he wants him dead and the money is never mentioned again nor is it ever found.

Also, Steffen, in this film, has got to be one of the weakest heroes ever in the genre. He spends the bulk of the film either being captured or escaping only to be caught again moments later. When he does get into the action, it consists of him unloading a gun (which seems to hold hundreds of bullets at a time) into the bad guys. This grows tiresome after the first few times as it loses its dramatic effect. And even then, these scenes are shot very lazily. You see Steffen fire rapidly then cut to about six or more guys spinning, twirling then hitting the ground. There's even one scene where Steffen fires straight ahead only to have a handful of guys fall from trees!

Fajardo is about as evil as can be but he cannot carry the film when the scenes where he guns down women, children and old folks are photographed to the point where they have no impact.

After buying the vastly superior W DJANGO! and seeing Mulargia's name, I got worried. I had confused his name with giallo ace Emilio Muraglia. Apparently, W DJANGO! (a very fun movie and Steffen's best performance I've seen) was a fluke because this film is as bad as BROTHER OUTLAW. But then, I've only seen 3 of his films now.

The print here from the Franco Cleef disc is apparently from a german DVD (as the title is in german) that didn't have an english track. The picture quality is very good and the sound is fine but probably utilized from a VHS tape. Still, it's nice to be able to see an obscure title in such nice quality even if the film isn't that great. Completists will definitely want to check it out.

Steffen also co-wrote the script with director Eduardo Mulargia who also directed the terrible BROTHER OUTLAW with Tony Kendall.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 04:46:31 PM »

I haven't got the FrancoCleef print (pan & scan video source, i think)but i'll check this out now. Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:28:47 PM »

I agree with AC review. Only to add that the last sequence where Fajardo has some kind of delirium seeing Steffen's face everywhere has its merits. 5\10

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:06:06 PM »

I agree with AC review. Only to add that the last sequence where Fajardo has some kind of delirium seeing Steffen's face everywhere has its merits. 5\10

I don't remember that scene at the end, only that this was one of the worst spaghetti westerns I'd seen. I gave my DVD to Banjo shortly after watching it. Afro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:41:30 PM »

I don't remember that scene at the end,

I won't too coming next week.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »

A decent Steffen western (which isn't saying much considering most of his vehicles are mundane). Entertaining even with all the plot holes and inconsistancies AC cites in his pretty spot on review.

6/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM