Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:47:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Reviewing -- Observations, Reconsiderations, and Appreciations
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Reviewing -- Observations, Reconsiderations, and Appreciations  (Read 3409 times)
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2007, 03:11:44 PM »

I've obtained a 46 inch widescreen television which will be in my possession for the next year or so, and I thought to myself, "What better way to break this bad-boy in than playing ultra-violent video games on it?" 

And after that, I decided to watch OUATITW, as well.

It's funny, this is one of those movies that has many layers (y'know, like an onion).  Even after I thought i'd studied every frame of it, i noticed new things when i watched it on a large screen.  It mainly had to do with subtle reactions and expressions of actors, and there were two big ones that i wanted to bring up:

First off, Jason Robard's reaction when he first sees "Mr. Choo-Choo".  Whenever i watched this part on a small screen, it seemed like a typical Cheyenne reaction.  But, on a big screen, i noticed something different.  It seems that Cheyennes initial reaction right after he sees Morton turn around, is one of pity and sorrow.  I never noticed that before.  For just a second after he sees morton, his eyes and face drop as he scans Morton up and down.  I'd always thought this one of the most classic "pathetic" moments in the history of cinema.  Morton tries to escape Cheyenne and Harmonica, but of course he can only hobble on his crutches, and, even then, he can't actually get off the train.  Watching Morton stumble along to the other side of the cart always was sad, but I never saw that Cheyenne recognized this too.  As i mentioned before, it looks like he feels sorry for him for a second or two before he snaps back with a smirk and has to maintain his aura with his "two shiny rails" speech.

Second thing is a line that I've always liked, but never realized why until I saw it on a 46 inch tv.  It's the "Now i'm too used to a quiet, simple country life," line.  I see now why I've always liked that.  It seems as though that guy (I don't think the character had a name so I'll just call him Eunice) gives Claudia Cardinale her first real strong taste of the west.  He leans uncomfortably near her as he says it. The smoke from his cigar lingers near his yellow teeth as he exhales the words.  Any romanticised ideas there were in her mind must've been gone after that encounter.

So this thread is where you can post anything else you've noticed after you rewatch this movie.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 03:22:42 PM »

I've obtained a 46 inch widescreen television which will be in my possession for the next year or so, and I thought to myself, "What better way to break this bad-boy in than playing ultra-violent video games on it?" 

And after that, I decided to watch OUATITW, as well.

You should feel embarassed for not starting with OUATITW! Angry Grin

I like the second one. I felt similar way, though I wouldn't be able to put it into words. But I didn't notice Cheyenne's sympathy either. That's really interesting.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 03:53:11 PM »

You should feel embarassed for not starting with OUATITW! Angry Grin

Grin  Grin  Grin

Man with no dame
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 05:11:13 PM »

Any romanticised ideas there were in her mind must've been gone after that encounter.
   She was a prostitute from New Orleans. I doubt she had any romanticized notions about anything. But large screen viewings are great also, for picking up stuff in the background.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 05:51:10 PM »

Now you've dissapointed me MWND. I was expecting a Lionel Stander portrait.  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 06:05:57 PM »

Yeah, it's great watching OUATITW on a Big Screen TV. Makes for a better experience.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 09:02:51 PM »

Any romanticised ideas there were in her mind must've been gone after that encounter.
   She was a prostitute from New Orleans. I doubt she had any romanticized notions about anything.

Haha, good point.

Maybe the wrong words... but it did give her her first poor taste of the country before she went on to find her new family massacred with no money (at the time).

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 05:10:31 AM »

Now, when watching it on big screen (no cinema, unfortunatelly...), I quite saw Cheyenne's sympathy, too. But it didn't last for long.

What I especially saw and enjoyed was Cheyenne and Jill's tension before Harmonica's arrival after the duel. Jill's worried expression and then her smile - priceless. If we did't see the duel, we would realise who won from her smile.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 08:52:51 PM »

Now, when watching it on big screen (no cinema, unfortunatelly...), I quite saw Cheyenne's sympathy, too. But it didn't last for long.

What I especially saw and enjoyed was Cheyenne and Jill's tension before Harmonica's arrival after the duel. Jill's worried expression and then her smile - priceless. If we did't see the duel, we would realise who won from her smile.

Yes marmota! Fantastic acting on Claudia Cardinale's part. Her expressions are spot on and priceless!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 01:42:15 AM »

I also loved Cheyenne's first arrival to Sweetwater. That is a perfect image, with the doors filling 3/4 of it and frightened Jill in the rest!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 10:43:10 AM »

Those doors in OUATITW! Interestingly, SL would return to his "doors" motif in OUATIA.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM