Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 04:16:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Dirty Dozen (1967)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dirty Dozen (1967)  (Read 8229 times)
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2007, 07:41:32 PM »

Seen this many times.  Cannot remember or figure out how the giant Clint Walker dies.

Man with no dame
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 07:57:28 PM »

Strangely enough, they never do show his demise, in all the versions I've seen. The last shot of Walker, shows him detonating a mine in the road. I guess we have to assume he went up with the castle. It was a rather potholed end to a great movie. Maybe they didn't want Walker's death to upstage Jim Brown's.

Sackett
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 08:31:40 PM »

I've just had to assume that he died in the road from the half track coming at them or crashing .  It thats so, it sure doesn't make it clear.  I don't think he was one of the ones shot under the bridge either.  All of em seem to get some kind of exit scene but him.  I wonder if there is a Dirty Dozen forum on the internet somewhere.

Man with no dame
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 08:43:37 PM »

I've just had to assume that he died in the road from the half track coming at them or crashing .  It thats so, it sure doesn't make it clear.  I don't think he was one of the ones shot under the bridge either.  All of em seem to get some kind of exit scene but him.  I wonder if there is a Dirty Dozen forum on the internet somewhere.
Go out into the vast internet wilderness, and seek , ye, for yourself. Grin

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 10:42:06 PM »

Great Film!  Afro

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 06:47:11 AM »

Like "The Magnificent Seven", this is another ensemble action film that I can't really get into. It isn't even that original, borrowing elements of TM7 and "Guns of Navarone", with the added twist that these guys are criminals - something which only comes out on a few of them. The early training scenes are digressive and go on way too long, and maybe six of the dozen are well-developed characters. Even the final battle scene is nothing special IMO.

In re Clint Walker, I seem to recall him getting shot in the truck at the end - I remember an image of him with a bullet wound in his chest, for some reason.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 06:48:24 AM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Man with no dame
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 06:51:39 AM »

Cassavetes was shot in the truck.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 06:52:31 AM »

Cassavetes was shot in the truck.

Okay then, never mind.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 04:45:59 PM »

Like "The Magnificent Seven", this is another ensemble action film that I can't really get into. It isn't even that original, borrowing elements of TM7 and "Guns of Navarone", with the added twist that these guys are criminals - something which only comes out on a few of them. The early training scenes are digressive and go on way too long, and maybe six of the dozen are well-developed characters. Even the final battle scene is nothing special IMO.
It's actually the training scenes that are the best part of the movie. The operation itself isn't very interesting.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Man with no dame
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »

It's actually the training scenes that are the best part of the movie. The operation itself isn't very interesting.
Well said, Dave! Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 04:50:06 PM »

A similar film was "The Devils Brigade" with James Garner, but I loved this flick when I was a kid.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 01:00:39 PM »

The Devil's Brigade, great flick! James Garner is another underrated actor in my opinion. He gets respect, but not enough!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »

As a kid, I liked the first made-for-TV sequel (the one which still had Lee Marvin) more than the original. I don't know if that opinion would still hold today, but I'm still not crazy about the original.

Sackett
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 08:50:12 PM »

Just heard back from Clint Walker concerning his death scene.  I'll put his message to me in quotes.

"Howdy, I really don't know why they finished it that way.  I just kind of disappeared, and I don't know if I died or not.  It is just one of those mysteries...........actually it is a hole in the movie.  It is a question that I have been asked many times.  Thanks for your inquiry, sorry I can't be of more help. Best regards, Clint Walker."

I was pleasantly surprised to hear from Mr. Walker and appreciated his response.  He sounds like a real nice fellow.  Thought I'd share it with you guys.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 09:21:20 PM »

thanks man Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM