Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 03:08:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Original screenplay in English
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Original screenplay in English  (Read 1953 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2007, 06:03:57 AM »

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Once_Upon_A_Time_In_America.pdf 

I found that from IMDb. I don't know if it is the real thing, but looks good. It should include also deleted scenes. I haven't read it yet.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 09:01:41 AM »

Thanks a lot! Afro A very interesting read. I see that at this point the character at the end of the film was called "Senator Bailey." Yeah, right, a senator who no one has ever seen. I can see why they changed that.....

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:41:29 PM »

Thanks moviesceleton for post.  The only script documentation I've seen is on the OUATIA page.  I think it was transcribed from the tape or DVD so it wouldn't have any deleted scenes.  I'll definitely read this.  Thanks again.

mal247
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 02:12:17 PM »

Thank you moviesceleton for sharing.

This script was originally mentioned by Stephen Pelletier: stephen.pelletier@verizon.net

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=181.msg1288#msg1288

Parts of this script are halfway between the book and the film and it's interesting to see how Harry Grey's story evolved into the final film.  The number of characters in the book is too many and the dialogue and descriptions of events too long for a comfortable read but it may help to confirm that the events probably happened in real life.

The number of things left out of the final film either due to cost (opening scenes etc) or to time (too numerous to mention), it's no wonder that the final film is a bit puzzling.

Reading this script and the book will answer many of the questions that viewers of the film may have.

eg.

Who were after Noodles at the beginning of the film?
Mandy, Trigger & Beefy
known as Mendy, Trigger & Muscles in the book

Where were they from?
The Combination criminal syndicate

Why were they after Noodles?
As a result of Noodles' betrayal, the Combination had lost money, three of its members had died and Noodles could no longer be trusted.  He had to go.

Why did Bugsy hate Max & the gang
Max arranged it so that Bugsy was arrested committing a crime and Bugsy went to prison. Max taunted Bugsy about it and made it clear that it was down to him.

The sheet with gunholes in the shape of a man which Eve finds near the beginning of the film seems a bit elaborate. 
Jimmy - the union guy - initially didn't want anything to do with criminals.  His mind had to be changed by something dramatic.  He goes to bed, a gangster (Sali the snake) fires a machine gun at him in bed (80 bullets in 12 seconds).  The gangster does not want him dead just to change his mind so he expertly traces the outline of his body with the machine gun.  Somebody decided that they could do without this scene but thought that the sheet could be used to good effect in the scene with Eve.

There is a photograph of Noodles in bed aiming his gun at the door to his hotel room.
Noodles is in bed with Eve.  He has just fallen out with Max and has decided to go on a vacation with Eve.  Somebody kicks the door open.  Instinctively Noodles take out his gun and aims it at the door.  However it is only Max & Carol who have changed their minds and now want to accompany Noodles and Eve on their vacation.

Inscription above the door of the prison and mausoleum
taken from:
Your men will fall by the sword, your heroes in the fight - Isaiah 3:25

Four men of the apocalypse
Film 1921

Secretary of Commerce Bailey in the film
changed from Senator Bailey in this script

At the Bailey Foundation, Noodles asks Carol if she knows Deborah, the patron saint of the foundation for 15 years.
In the film Carol says "No" - in this script Carol asks "Me?"

The script is missing a couple of pages near the end which may have shed some light on the garbage truck scene near the end of the film.  There are however in the script a couple of references to garbage trucks which may have inspired some-one to recreate the Jimmy Hoffa incident.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 05:43:30 AM by mal247 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM