Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:44:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Volonté steals the show from Clint and Lee
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Volonté steals the show from Clint and Lee  (Read 9286 times)
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »

Doesn't he?

Indio is the most complex charakter... and always HE has flashbacks, not the Colonel. He is evil but tragic, mad but sexy...

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »

You're right, he does... He was the man my sister remembered after she saw it in TV... Madman Indio. How could ANYONE forget him? No way.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
poderator
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 03:52:10 PM »

I think so too. In fact, I think that even col. Mortimer got much more attention then  Clint's character Manco. This is the only movie (out of three MWNN films) where someone else has the upper hand over Man With No Name, At least until the final showdown.
Volone is magnificent, and LVC is great in the role of his nemesis. I think that this has to do with the fact that unlike Manco, they share their past, and they are conected by the deep personal reasons. Result; GMV and LVC characters are much deeper then Manco's.
He is here for the money and nothing more. That is why Harmonica's character had stronger emotional impact then Joe/Manco/Blondie's character (situation with Blondie is however is open for interpretation).

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 06:22:39 PM »

You're right. Without a performance as powerful as Volonte's, For a Few Dollars More probably would not be as great. The whole movie revolved around this character and Volonte was riveting!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 02:51:13 AM »

It's a pity he must die...  Cry Cry Cry I loved Indio. That girl was crazy. If Indio would rape me, he doesn't need rape...  Evil

(If Frank would... uhhh... noooo... Cheyenne, HEEEELP!)

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 01:28:35 PM »

That's quite a controversial statement, Jill. Grin

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 03:05:29 PM »

He's a better villain here than in FOD.
But I think the guy who steals the show from all the actors here is LVC.
I bet the 1965 audience (or 1967 for the states), who were used to Cleef being a heavy that gets ofted quickly in all of his westerns before this, were really surprised with Van Cleef basically taking lead and pulling the rug from under Eastwood.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 03:19:18 PM »

I don't think anyone knew who he was in 1965. Who would remember the second baddie to the left who never spoke in High Noon?

Man with no dame
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 03:19:57 PM »

It's a pity he must die...  Cry Cry Cry I loved Indio. That girl was crazy. If Indio would rape me, he doesn't need rape...  Evil

(If Frank would... uhhh... noooo... Cheyenne, HEEEELP!)
 Wow, Jill, I wish I looked like Volonte! Kiss Evil Kiss

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 07:46:39 AM »

This is the only movie (out of three MWNN films) where someone else has the upper hand over Man With No Name, At least until the final showdown.
It's the James Bond formula (which existed well before Bond). We tend to like interesting villains, whether they are called Goldfinger, Dr. Doom, or Darth Vader. They don't necessarily steal the show (unless you are the kind of viewer who is constantly evaluating an actor's performance). The fact that the bad guy can be cultured, charming, complex, and so on, and that the hero can nonetheless triumph over him, counts in the hero's favor. Better villains make for better heroes.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 07:50:42 AM »

Better villains make for better heroes.

That's SO true!

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »

He's a better villain here than in FOD.
But I think the guy who steals the show from all the actors here is LVC.
I bet the 1965 audience (or 1967 for the states), who were used to Cleef being a heavy that gets ofted quickly in all of his westerns before this, were really surprised with Van Cleef basically taking lead and pulling the rug from under Eastwood.

I'm still surprised till this day that Lee Van Cleef's carreer didn't take off in the States. He just had the perfect on-screen presence. His look screams super-stardom in my opinion. You're right Firecracker, he gave an amazing performance here.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 11:40:44 AM »

I'm still surprised till this day that Lee Van Cleef's carreer didn't take off in the States.

I quite can't understand it either... maybe he didn't meet the right director in States... Roll Eyes

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 11:50:08 AM »

I quite can't understand it either... maybe he didn't meet the right director in States... Roll Eyes

No, it's because directors were blind by their stupidity. That was Sergio Leone's genius in casting him. He seen something nobody else did and that's obvious talent!

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 11:52:42 AM »

No, it's because directors were blind by their stupidity. That was Sergio Leone's genius in casting him. He seen something nobody else did and that's obvious talent!

That's in other words what I meant.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM