Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 02:28:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The first time you saw this film
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The first time you saw this film  (Read 17834 times)
namelessstranger
Road Apple

http://www.filmfestivals.com/pixus/festivals/paris

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2007, 03:38:34 PM »

I will always have a special place for this film in my haert.This is the first movie i can remember seeing EVER!This film and kung-fu movies where it when i was a kid.How 'bout you guys.

P.S. Heres some memories for ya.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LiQntJC-Efw

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 03:47:39 PM by namelessstranger » Logged

I'm singing in the rain
I'm singing in the rain.....
Man with no dame
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »

My first time was a double bill in 1967. FOD & FAFDM. At the time I liked FAFDM more, but now I think FOD was the better film. Afro

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:22:22 AM »

My first time was a borrowed bad quality copy that stopped in my computer right in the middle, when they're exchanging Marisol for... huh, forgot his name! I had to start again a bit after it, so I missed the most moving scene!

Next time it was already from my own DVD, which my father completelly unexpectedly gave me, saying he found it in a store for cheap price and thought I might like it. I love such moments, when I see people around me know what I like... that shows the love best in my opinion.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 04:26:43 AM »

I saw in in the tv first, with a terrible new dub. By us is it a stupid thing: there are good, old udbs, but the tv makes a new and bad...  Cry

Now I have it on dvd - and I see it with subtitles, because the dub is the bad one.
In GBU dvd have I the old dub - very good voices.  Grin Especially for Tuco, his dub is excellent.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 04:56:19 AM »

I saw in in the tv first, with a terrible new dub. By us is it a stupid thing: there are good, old udbs, but the tv makes a new and bad...  Cry

Similar here, I guess... I usually don't watch films with dubbing. Especially the less important characters are usually dubbed terribly. But the actor who dubbed VolontÚ in both FD and FFDM has great voice. I watch it sometimes dubbed only because of that voice. Grin So I guess this is similar to your soft spot for Indio...
I have no idea however when were these dubbings made.

(Dubbing is bad thing for me most of time. I liked it mainly only in Gendarme de Saint Tropez, because the actor who dubbed Louis de FunÚs is really good, there's a rumor that he was as good that FunÚs himself said that he was better than him! And that's an old dubbing, of course.)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 07:12:56 AM »

I also saw as the FOD/FDM double-feature in late 1968 or early 1969, after seeing GBU twice in mid-1968.

Man with no dame
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 07:34:15 AM »

I also saw as the FOD/FDM double-feature in late 1968 or early 1969, after seeing GBU twice in mid-1968.
  Yea, there was nothing like the pop and crackle of those re-released worn out prints!

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 07:46:52 AM »

Now I have it on dvd - and I see it with subtitles, because the dub is the bad one.

I remembered I had Hungarian dub on my FFDM DVD, so I'm watching it with it now. Smiley But I cannot tell you which one it is... it sounds good to me, but since I don't understand a single word from Hungarian (except "ne" Wink), I cannot guarantee that it really is good.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 12:36:59 PM »

I remembered I had Hungarian dub on my FFDM DVD, so I'm watching it with it now. Smiley But I cannot tell you which one it is... it sounds good to me, but since I don't understand a single word from Hungarian (except "ne" Wink), I cannot guarantee that it really is good.

Old dub of FAFDM is very good - by us the greatest actors made dub, but now... they're dead and there are some "dub actors"  Angry They are terrible. Like the old translators: in Hungary the translators were our best poets and writers, that's because for example Shakespeare's plays have so beautiful translations in our language.

The voice of Mortimer was in the old dub Imre Sinkovits, he also dubbed Frank - one of the greatest hungarian stage actors ever. Great in histrorical plays and in classic comedys. But he died soon...  Cry

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 12:49:57 PM »

I must say, in the end I didn't like Indio's voice in Hungarian, too rough... simply because his voice in Czech is really the best I can imagine. Here he sounded like a baddie. That Czech actor makes him sound like a very charismatic man, though baddie. Grin

Like the old translators: in Hungary the translators were our best poets and writers, that's because for example Shakespeare's plays have so beautiful translations in our language.

I noticed it in Czech on my favourite poet, Adam Mickiewicz. All the translationsa were by some of our greatest and most famous poets as well. But the new translation I borrowed now is someone whom I don't know. I guess it's someone focused on Polish literature and translations from Polish. But it's different from having it translated by a poet...

And the Czech dubber of VolontÚ - I already wrote it somewhere, but I have to write it again: I will always, ALWAYS, imagine Ramon and Indio speaking with his voice. I just can't separate it.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 02:14:50 PM »

That must be a really good dub. Afro

It's pity I don't understand czehisch - only one world: pivo "beer".  Grin But your beers are the best ones. Krusovice... mmmm...

Now, I finish offs.  Tongue

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 06:52:01 PM »

I was blown away as a little kid the first time I watched this. Wow, the memories! It seems like yesterday I was digging into Leone's works for the first time. How time fly's!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 01:16:52 AM »

That must be a really good dub. Afro

He is. The other characters are unfortunatelly worse.

You know another word from Czech and maybe don't know it: ne.

Faisalha9159
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 09:12:40 AM »

I don`t remember watching the first time I saw this film. This is one of those films that have been on in my house since I was born. Seriously, I reckon I must have been a few months old when the blasting of the opening credits must have touched my ears for the first time, and from then on, this is a film that is watched regularly. I seriously wouldn`t be able to recall how many times I have seen this movie, but I am pretty sure it must be in 4 figures!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »

In my dorm room on my laptop, rented off iTunes, 3 years ago.

It was shortly after I saw GBU. I loved GBU so much, then I found out it was from a "trilogy," so decided to watch the earlier films of the trilogy as well. I did not like FOD the first time I saw it (I particularly could not handle the fact that everyone dies, especially the massacre of the Baxters). In this post, I discussed my feelings the first time I saw FOD  http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11098.msg153541#msg153541

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:07:20 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM