Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:30:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hate for Hate aka Odio per odio (1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hate for Hate aka Odio per odio (1967)  (Read 3566 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2007, 05:46:38 AM »

Review from Arizona Colt:-

HATE FOR HATE 1967 aka ODIO PER ODIO

Antonio Sabato (Miguel), John Ireland (Cooper), Fernando Sancho (Coyote)

Directed by Domenico Paolella; Writers include Fernando Di Leo, Bruno Corbucci; Music by Willy Brezza

Miguel (Sabato), an honest and carefree Mexican has big dreams of heading North to the city to be an artist. He stores his $512.00, all the money he has, in a bank. Said bank is about to be robbed by Cooper (Ireland), an outlaw partnered with the psychopathic Moxon. Once the job is done, Cooper finds that Moxon has killed everyone inside. During their escape, Moxon tries to kill his partner leaving him the sole proprietor of the loot. While this is going on, Miguel gives chase only wanting his $512.00 back. After Cooper supposedly does away with his unscrupulous partner, both Miguel and Cooper are captured. Miguel is later freed and Cooper escapes. Meanwhile, Moxon recuperates and gets his old band of cutthroats together to steal back the money and kill off Cooper and his family. Cooper and Miguel meet again and the stage is set for a revenge fueled climax between three principle characters.

Finally, John Ireland gets a starring role in an Italian western. I've seen him in others but this is the first where he's given a chance to shine. I've always appreciated him as an actor and he's good here as the soft-hearted aging outlaw who is ashamed of his profession and wants to get his family to a better place to keep what he does from affecting their lives. This comes to a boil when his lunatic ex-partner kidnaps his wife and daughter (who is unaware he is her father) and Cooper mistakenly believes Miguel has done it not knowing his devious former partner is still alive. Cooper is so blinded by self-hate for what he does, he refuses to accept truth from the only real friend he has. Since he himself is a good man at heart making a living out of robbery, the thought of believing the word of an unknown commodity doesn't appear likely. Although Cooper trusts Miguel completely when they're in prison, once it appears that Miguel has done something terrible to his wife and daughter, he immediately wants him dead. This unwittingly works in his favor towards the end when Cooper finds his former partner still alive after tracing Miguel to Moxon's hideout.

Sabato is highly likeable in this movie. His character is really funny as the honorable and decent Mexican who, even though he has a chance to make off with a lot of stolen money, only wants what was taken from him. When asked why he wouldn't take the money he says "People wouldn't like it." His friend asks who and he names off his friends and family members who would be shamed if he had done anything underhanded. I'm beginning to like Sabato more and more. I didn't think much of him in BEYOND THE LAW (1968) or VIOLENCE FOR KICKS (1975) apart from having a good look about him, but he is definitely growing on me as a capable performer. Love his turn in Lenzi's GANG WAR IN MILAN (1973). In HATE FOR HATE, for a seemingly naive character, he later proves himself to be most resourceful especially when dealing with the bad guys. However, his trusting ways get him into trouble towards the end. He also gets to spout some really funny lines.

Frequent baddie Sancho has what seems like an extended cameo as Coyote, another good natured bandit with a broken leg. Possibly, Sancho really had a broken leg during the shoot which may account for his small participation in the film.

The music is good and appropriate and considering the impact of Morricone, it does ape his style as well as that of Bacalov but is a good score nonetheless. Especially the end theme after the film ends in typical spaghetti western fashion. I'd be interested in seeing any other SW's from director Paolella.

This is a character driven oater and the action scenes are few and far between but have more punch because of the investment given in the characters. Although during the last 30 minutes the action picks up considerably, you spend a good deal of time with the participants. If you enjoyed films like DAY OF ANGER (1967) or FACE TO FACE (1967) then this is similar in that the characters are built around the action and not vice versa like so many other Italian westerns. This version is from a TNT broadcast and it is unknown if anything is cut but this is definitely worth a look should it ever get a DVD release.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »

Was able to catch the beginnig of this today on TCM, looked better than average with John Ireland the American lead. Will have to watch for it again sometime.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 12:56:14 PM »

I have this on dvd somewhere but can barely remember anything about it but AC's review tempts me into giving it a 2nd look.Now if only i can devise a system of watching my sw's in order! Roll Eyes 

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:41:51 PM »

Finished this off my tape from Friday's TCM airing today and really liked it, a high quality second-tier spaghetti.  I agree with just about everything AC said, but I did find myself confused at times with the story as gold nuggets came into play.  Ireland was really strong here, and Sabato brings a nice touch to his role of Miguel.  The musical score was Morricone-esque, but not too obvious.  Worth checking out if TCM airs it again, wishful thinking probably.  Roll Eyes

Next up, the two Stranger movies TCM aired! Smiley

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM