Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 08:42:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  If a Leone type spaghetti western was being made today...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If a Leone type spaghetti western was being made today...  (Read 12062 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2007, 07:11:20 PM »

...Who would be your director and cast?

I'll begin.

The obvious directing choice. Quentin Tarantino because of his love for Leone and the spaghetti western genre as a whole.

My cast...

Kevin Costner
Monica Bellucci
Ian McShane
Gary Oldman
Valeria Golino
Tom Sellick
James Gandolfini
Danny Trejo
Sam Elliot
Tomas Milian
Mickey Rourke

I added spaghetti western legend Tomas Millian Milian and italian actresses Monica Bellucci and Valeria Golino to give it that spaghetti western touch.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 04:45:05 AM »

I think the best way to get a Leonesque would be to get a director who has the same influences as Leone. But, it's very improbable to find such a director, so Tarantino would be my first choice also. But there is the danger that he'd just make an homage after homage and nothing original.

I'd add:
Clint Eastwood
Steve Buscemi
Robert Duval
Al Pacino (this time, he'd shut the f*** up  Lips Sealed through the whole movie and just stare like crazy)
(I know they're a bit old Undecided)

It goes without saying, Morricone soundtrack.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 03:04:46 PM by moviesceleton » Logged

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 08:46:31 AM »

I think the best way to get a Leonesque would be to get a director who has the same influences as Leone. But, it's very improbable to find such a director, so Tarantino would be my first choice also. But there is the danger that he'd just make an homage after homage and nothing original.

I'd add:
Clint Eastwood
Steve Beseem
Robert Tuvalu
Al Pacino (this time, he'd shut the f*** up  Lips Sealed through the whole movie and just stare like crazy)
(I know they're a bit old Undecided)

It goes without saying, Morricone soundtrack.

I love your choices moviesceleton! Pacino is an amazing choice! I see you're one of those critics of Pacino who thinks all he does is yell. You do know that's horse sh*t don't you? He's arguably the greatest actor ever, period. That being said, I'm happy you picked him.  Afro

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Man with no dame
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 08:59:22 AM »

Dont'cha usually start topics in Off-Topics, Tuc? Roll Eyes Whatcha doin' up here, I wonder? Cheesy

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 09:18:14 AM »

Dont'cha usually start topics in Off-Topics, Tuc? Roll Eyes Whatcha doin' up here, I wonder? Cheesy

No, I'm scattered around if you really take a look. This seems like a Leone-related topic so I thought I'd post it here. I just don't hang on the Off-Topic board MAN. Smiley

Man with no dame
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 09:24:01 AM »

I'm scattered really take a look. I just hang on the Off-Topic board MAN. Smiley
Having trouble with my 'puter today! The last pieces of the puzzle start tumbling into place! Evil

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 09:37:56 AM »

Having trouble with my 'puter today! The last pieces of the puzzle start tumbling into place! Evil

That sucks. Computer trouble is always the worst! Hopefully you get that squared away soon.

Anyway, what would your spaghetti western cast look like today MAN?

Man with no dame
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 09:44:48 AM »

Anyway, what would your spaghetti western cast look like today MAN?
Well, either dead or pretty old, because I'd want the people from the originals, not these ass-clowns that populate new films(ie: pirate, Rings,etc.) Tongue

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 09:53:15 AM »

Well, either dead or pretty old, because I'd want the people from the originals, not these ass-clowns that populate new films(ie: pirate, Rings,etc.) Tongue

haha oh boy. I guess nobody is going to persuade you into liking films such as Pirates and Lord of the Rings.  Huh

Man with no dame
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 09:55:52 AM »

NOBODY!

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »

NOBODY!

lol!

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 03:03:58 PM »

I always manage to mess up with the Spell Check. So often I press "change" when I mean to press "ignore". "Tuvalu" and "Beseem", oh my god! I have to edit the original post right now.

I don't have any huge problem with Pacino, and at least it certainly isn't the yelling. But very often he prefers long monologues (I think that has to do with his theatre-background). His monologues are mostly great but a) IMO they don't suit westerns (especially SWs) b) he can do great acting without any words. Think about it: Pacino's eyes, full of fury, in a huge close-up which covers the whole screen.  Cool

And Franko Nero to the cast. Jack Nicholson is one of my favorite actors ever but I'm not sure how he'd fit a western. How about Ray Liotta? BTW, IMO Nero looks like him nowadays.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 03:09:59 PM »

I would cast somebody unknown... which means I don't know whom. Grin But in that case it would have the right feel for me...
Or I would cast somebody totally unexpected... which again means I don't know whom, I would have to think about it more... but I think somebody already mentioned Johnny Depp somewhere else, in connection to his role in Deadman. I think it could be interesting.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 03:29:59 PM »

I just wonder, how Christopher Lee would work in a SW.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 05:58:02 PM »

I always manage to mess up with the Spell Check. So often I press "change" when I mean to press "ignore". "Tuvalu" and "Beseem", oh my god! I have to edit the original post right now.

I don't have any huge problem with Pacino, and at least it certainly isn't the yelling. But very often he prefers long monologues (I think that has to do with his theatre-background). His monologues are mostly great but a) IMO they don't suit westerns (especially SWs) b) he can do great acting without any words. Think about it: Pacino's eyes, full of fury, in a huge close-up which covers the whole screen.  Cool

And Franko Nero to the cast. Jack Nicholson is one of my favorite actors ever but I'm not sure how he'd fit a western. How about Ray Liotta? BTW, IMO Nero looks like him nowadays.

I know exactly what you're saying about Pacino in a western. You are exactly right. He does not have to have a long monologue, especially in a spaghetti western. Those eyes of his would be perfect for the Leone type closeups! I mean just think of Pacino as Michael Corleone, those eyes. Perfect!

I love the other actors you mentioned moviesceleton. Franco Nero is the perfect casting choice being a spaghetti western veteran. Ray Liotta, wow, I never thought of him. Talk about the perfect eyes. Scary! Now you mentioned Jack Nicolson. I'd love to see him star in a spaghetti western. He does have western film experience. If this was the case, I'd like to see Jack with facial hair, all scruffy and out of his usual element. It would be perfect!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM