Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 03:42:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Shot in Venice
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shot in Venice  (Read 4426 times)
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2004, 01:00:35 PM »

Guybrush, maybe you know the answer to this.  The scene where Noodles takes Deborah out to dinner was shot in a hotel in Venice - in the end credits they mention the Groupa Loga or something like that.  I did a google search on them this weekend and this group owns the Hotel Gritti.

But Noodles and Deborah have a table by a window, and out the window there's a pier going out into foggy water.  The water looks a lot more like the Lagoon than the Grand Canal, that's not the Hotel Gritti is it?  Was that scene shot at the Cipriani?  

Maybe the cast just stayed at the Gritti for cheap, so the producers gave them a nice credit?  Undecided

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
guy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 04:47:54 PM »

i'd like to offer my thinking regarding this matter if i may. i'm a newbie and hope this is on the right track, exscuse me if not. i recently read the british film institute modern classic of once upon a time in america by adrian martin. in it he mentions that the filming was actually stuck together for this scene. yes they were in italy for the inside of the hotel but once out on the beach this is filmed in new jersey somewhere. this might explain the differences in the type of llook with the location.

"i like the stink of the streets, it makes me feel good. i like the smell of it, it opens up my lungs - and it gives me a hard on!"
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 05:01:20 PM »

Hello Guy, welcome!

I was more curious about the interior scenes.  There's a shot of them sitting at the table inside the restaurant beside the window.  I'm pretty sure it's in the same grand room as you see in the establishing shot.  Out the window you see a body of water fogged over in the distance.  Maybe they bluescreened the background or something, but I don't think that's the Grand Canal.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
guy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 05:25:29 PM »

thanks for the welcome! i could not say for sure about that. do you know where the actualmain street is shot, i heard a mix between montreal and new york.....is it the williamsburg bridge?

"i like the stink of the streets, it makes me feel good. i like the smell of it, it opens up my lungs - and it gives me a hard on!"
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 01:02:36 PM »

According to IMDB the hotel in Venezia is the "Grand Hotel". But what "Grand Hotel". I looked for a hotel called "grand Hotel" in Venice, on internet, and there is no such hotel....

The hotel in Florida is The Don Cesar Hotel 3400 Gulf Boulevard, St Petersburg, Florida.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 04:00:57 PM »

I'm on holiday in Venice in a few weeks. Maybe I'll have a look.

It's class.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 04:30:03 PM »

Very cool, I haven't been there in a while.  Check out the Hotel Cipriani, that would be my guess.  It's out on an island in the lagoon, but they have a free water taxi that goes out there which docks right off of the Piazza San Marco.  Be forewarned, serious snob action at the hotel - its a favored hangout for your sceptered isle's aristos.  Make a reservation at Cip's restaurant, it's their casual outdoor cafe and price is reasonable.  Don't forget your ascot!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 08:23:48 PM »

Hi Guy,
There are two East River bridges in OUTIA. They at first glance look alike, one is the Manhattan Bridge its towers are vertical like an "H", the other is the Williamsburg bridge its towers cant towards the center like this "/-\".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 07:36:32 AM »

Guybrush, maybe you know the answer to this.  The scene where Noodles takes Deborah out to dinner was shot in a hotel in Venice - in the end credits they mention the Groupa Loga or something like that.  I did a google search on them this weekend and this group owns the Hotel Gritti.

But Noodles and Deborah have a table by a window, and out the window there's a pier going out into foggy water.  The water looks a lot more like the Lagoon than the Grand Canal, that's not the Hotel Gritti is it?  Was that scene shot at the Cipriani?  

Maybe the cast just stayed at the Gritti for cheap, so the producers gave them a nice credit?  Undecided

hi everybody, sorry for not answering before...  Wink

General Sibley, the scene you are writing about was shot in the little isle of Lido, nearby Venice, the same venue where the Venice film festival takes place every year in September.
The restaurant room is located in the (Grand) Hotel Excelsior, whereas the beach where the next scene was shot is just in front of that same hotel. The white tents you can see in the background are still there... and are used every summer by the people coming in from Venice to enjoy the seaside (pls just forgive my boasting for a bit when I say I'm one of them  Cheesy).

So Guy, sorry to correct you, but that beach has nothing to do with New Jersey... if it had, then I would have been in New Jersey before; but I think I would remember that  Smiley

Actually the hotels Cipriani and Gritti -the ones other users were talking about- are in the very center of Venice, along the Grand Canal, but they have nothing to do either with the location where that scene was shot.

To get to the isle of Lido it gets 10 minute by boat from the centre of Venice.

Glad to be helpful, and talk about my hometown once in a while...  Grin

« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 12:44:06 AM by guybrush » Logged

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“What have you done all this time?”
“Going to bed early.”
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 12:49:25 PM »

So it was the Hotel Excelsior.

Thanks for the info.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM