Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 03:58:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Two things I just noticed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two things I just noticed  (Read 1752 times)
Jayson Kennedy
Bandido

Le tueur

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2003, 03:37:36 PM »

I just received the excellent French DVD set from amazon.fr and I noticed two things I never did before. At the second 'drawing in' shot of Harmonica's face to right at his eyes in the final duel as the camera is moving in you can see his lips slightly opening as if remembering the complete experience and being taken back. I could swear in the Laserdisc release his lips remained closed, perhaps it was 'over-matted'? Also I noticed that Harmonica's actual harmonica is dented and maybe (or it is) that's part of the reason it has a haunting sound when played, or maybe not  Wink  

On to the DVD, words cannot tell how impressive Paramount's restoration is. Absolutely no damage to the print, unlike the Laserdisc release. Real life isn't as sharp as this transfer, with a very light use of edge enhancenent that doesn't wreck the viewing with halos, unlike many prior Paramount DVDs (Raimi's 'The Gift' is almost unwatchable because of this) The 5.1 audio is quite centric and not too jarring. I haven't checked much of the wealth of extras yet but I think the picture quality alone makes this the best DVD released this year and maybe the best ever. You can literally focus on any part of the image and see an incredible amount of fine detail, to Bronson's heavily pitted limestone face to the interior of Morton's lavish locomotive. It's so good, you almost think it won't last throughout it's running time. This release wipes clean Paramount's sometimes spotty DVD track record in my eyes.

Bravo Paramount!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 03:39:39 PM by Jayson Kennedy » Logged

(one of) moderator: www.dvdaficionado.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM