Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 03:01:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Indio's smoke
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Indio's smoke  (Read 11485 times)
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2003, 08:42:53 PM »

The manner of smoking is important in this movie. All the three main characters smoke a lot, and in a different way.

But what is actually Indio smoking when he gets these weird lapses, especially after an act of violence?

I have read a long time ago that it is supposed to be a joint, but it doesn't quiet fit - he seems high even before he smokes it.

Has anybody read or heard about what might be in Indio's yellow, suspicious-looking cigarette?

(I quit smoking a week ago, perhaps this is why I think of this. And because I watched the movie again yesterday...)

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2003, 06:05:40 AM »

The manner of smoking is important in this movie. All the three main characters smoke a lot, and in a different way.

But what is actually Indio smoking when he gets these weird lapses, especially after an act of violence?

I have read a long time ago that it is supposed to be a joint, but it doesn't quiet fit - he seems high even before he smokes it.

Has anybody read or heard about what might be in Indio's yellow, suspicious-looking cigarette?

(I quit smoking a week ago, perhaps this is why I think of this. And because I watched the movie again yesterday...)

It's at least supposed to be pot; however, as Frayling notes (in STDWD, not sure of the page off the top of my head), Leone was using an "exaggerated" affect of the pot, rather than a realistic one.  

Saturday nights with Groggy
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 07:45:07 AM »

Yeah, I quit smoking too two weeks ago...  So maybe other guys didn't notice, but Indio takes his joint between his middle finger and his ring finger (or how do you call it?)  I've never seen anybody smoking this way, do you?

Concerning Indio being high or not, I think he's a madman 24/7, and at some points his head is ready to explode so he smokes some pot to calm himself down...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 08:58:44 PM »

Yeah, I quit smoking too two weeks ago...  So maybe other guys didn't notice, but Indio takes his joint between his middle finger and his ring finger (or how do you call it?)  I've never seen anybody smoking this way, do you?

Concerning Indio being high or not, I think he's a madman 24/7, and at some points his head is ready to explode so he smokes some pot to calm himself down...

Yes, I think smoking the joint to calm down sounds reasonable. I asked the question because I was curious if the narcotic aspect was well known, or if I was barking up the wrong tree here. Glad to see that some of you share my thoughts.  

As for the weird way of holding the joint, I think it is a way of hinting that this is not just tobacco, in addition, it makes the smoking seem like a ritual of sorts.
Indio is not only calmed down, but he enjoys the high of the joint especially after killing. Remember how eagerly he waits for it after the first shooting, when he guns down the informer?

I don't know if it is of any value, but "indo" is Californian slang for pot. The slang word might be new, though. Or, for all I know, been lifted from this very movie....  

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 10:53:25 AM »

Yeah, I've always thought it was pot too.  He makes it look like he is on something, besides just an unfortunate memory.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 12:05:50 PM »

Weed soaked in opium maybe. Leone would use the later in another film.

KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 08:13:36 PM »

weed soaked in formaldehyde ?  an old new orleans smoke called " click-em"  Wink

il indio, human paraquat  Wink

« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 11:45:37 PM by KERMIT » Logged
COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 05:45:03 AM »

Leone's heroes have some kind addictions: Cigar-Joe, Pipe-Mortimer, Marijuana-El Indio, Chewing*/Tobacco-Frank,Opium-Noodles,  Nose*-Tobacco-Carson/Jacson... Tuco alone is an angel without any vice ! Grin

* sorry I don't know the right word in english.In french is Chiquer and Priser

Time is on my side...
KERMIT
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 08:47:04 AM »

Leone's heroes have some kind addictions: Cigar-Joe, Pipe-Mortimer, Marijuana-El Indio, Chewing*/Tobacco-Frank,Opium-Noodles,  Nose*-Tobacco-Carson/Jacson... Tuco alone is an angel without any vice ! Grin

another kind of addiction would be bounty hunter after tuco who didn't shoot because he was talking so much.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 04:58:31 PM »

In english its "snuff" what Carson/Jackson uses.

sorry I don't know the right word in english.In french is Chiquer and Priser

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 03:18:50 PM »

In english its "snuff" what Carson/Jackson uses.
we know who the snuff box belongs to because "that's bill carson's name on the box"-angeleyes  Grin
the very snuff box tuco rip's off bill carson winds up bitting him in the ass as this is all the physical evidence angel eyes needs to know that either tuco or blondie know something he dosn't about the gold.
i always flinch when angel eyes mashes tuco's fingers on the snuffbox lid.  Shocked

« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 03:28:58 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 07:53:29 AM »

Angel and angel... He smokes on Blondie's abandoned cigar, receives another one after the visit to his brother and takes Carson's snuff.... When I was still smoking I hated those guys who never bought their own... Angry

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 01:53:04 PM »

Yeah. dont ya just hate those guys.  Grin

hes trying to give up smoking by giving up buying.. until your down the pub = your sharing Roll Eyes

KERMIT
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 03:50:34 PM »

i've givin up ciggys. it just kills me evertime i see il indio take a long drag off what he's smoking.  Wink

Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2003, 01:03:36 PM »

i've givin up ciggys. it just kills me evertime i see il indio take a long drag off what he's smoking.  Wink

Heh. I thought we'd agreed that's not tobacco...  ;

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM