Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 10:39:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Great Northfield Minnesota Raid (1972)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great Northfield Minnesota Raid (1972)  (Read 8212 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 10:07:12 AM »

Just saw this movie for the first time, and liked it; I give it a 7.5/10

------------------------------------

RE: THE BASE BALL SCENE: (yeah,  it was spelled as two words in those days  Wink )
I am an avid follower of baseball history, so I really enjoyed that scene.
 Funny thing: I was recently thinking about how many of the major American sports were around in the days of the Western, and -- before I had ever seen TGNMR or knew about this scene! So I wrote a post about how I wish there was a Western that depicted some of those sports in the early days -- a "Western Sports Movie"; and then cigar joe told me that there are indeed some old base ball scenes in TGNMR! I was delighted to hear that and then moved TGNMR up on my Netflix queue, and just saw it!
So for me, the base ball game definitely did not go on for too long; but if you are not a fan of the sport, I can definitely see how the length of the scene would annoy you.
I had two problems with the base ball scene. Firstly,  I wish that it had been a serious game, rather than a comedic game. And secondly, I didn't like that most of the game is in closeup, with only an occasional long shot. Cuz I am a serious baseball fan, so I wanted to see it shot like a real game.
But I guess the two issues are related, ie. considering that it was really a comedic game, it makes sense that it would be shot in closeup so you can see the comedic shit; whereas a serious game would be shown with more long shots so you can appreciate it as a game. Anyway, while I wish that the game was more serious, it was still quite a thrill to see all the old base ball shit just like I have seen in so many old black and white photographs, and the look if it -- ie.  the uniforms, the lack of equipment, the field, etc. -- really did look just like those countless archive photos.

----------------------------

I am unsure how to classify this one: there was lots of comedic stuff, though i don't know if you would call this a comedy.I generally have no use for Comedy Westerns (actually, I have no interest in Comedies at all). But while I do wish that there would have been less comedy, I enjoyed this movie. The Northfield town set was just terrific.
As for the historical stuff, it didn't bother me cuz long ago I realized that all Westerns (heck, almost every movie, period. But especially Westerns) are 100% bullshit and I should just try to enjoy the movie for its own sake of the movie and not worry about historical accuracy. So I didn't concern myself with the truth or falsity of the characters or incidents involved -- not that I am any historian myself. I just kicked back and had a good time.

IT'S A WONDERMENT!  Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:59:37 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 05:49:44 AM »

Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »

Strangely, hadn't seen it before. Probably it didn't have a great distribution. I don't share the criticism towards Duvall: I like his angle on the character, half mad  and impulsive. I've always considered Robertson a a mediocre actor and this movie confirms me in the belief. Still they tried to do something new with the story and it keeps you interested, though maybe you never have the impression of being watching a movie on JJ. 7\10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »

I'd have to more or less agree with what titoli said, except the part about Robertson: though I also never cherished his performances - here he does well (as does Duvall). I watched this once years ago and didn't like it one bit. Now I sorta let it be what it wants to be, which was a good idea: it doesn't take the JJ thing to any specific point, but the wondering around is kinda entertaining.

6.6/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »

This movie is 100x better than the similar in subject Long Riders.

Not for me.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM